S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Energy saving light blubs

Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Mar 11 2008, 03:05 PM
.....I have noticed that the florescent light in my closet, which I turn ON/OFF in a minute or two, does not last very long. Maybe I should change back to an incandescent bulb for the closet. Has anyone else noticed this?
^^ Yes, this makes a lot of sense if it's a bare CFL lamp in a porcelain or downlight (can) fixture. We have a number of closets with older fluroescent strip fixtures....these don't seem to mind the on/off.

We have replaced a good number of "A" lamps (typ incandescent bulb that you're used to) with "CFL".....good performance thus far. A couple other observations "from the trenches" and advice from Lighting Consultants:

1- Be AWARE that the CFL lamps do take a couple minutes to reach their full brightness. Keeping that in mind, we DO use them in bedroom hallways...but avoid the on/off habit. As noted above, closet lites, bed lamps and similar locations where you need light for a short period are NOT good candidates for a CFL. OTOH, a CFL is fine in a table lamp, std desk lamp, floor lamp, etc.

2- We have CFL's in several exterior locations and have NOT had any problems with longevity; locations include a Post Lamp at front door; step lights along our long entrance walk; and soffit lighting @ overhang near our rear entrance. I believe that CFL's are rated for Interior Only or Interior/ Exterior use; check the label.

3- If you want to install a CFL in a fixture that is controlled by a dimmer....and you do not USE the dimmer very often (not unusual), THEN it's not hard to remove dimmer and install a regular on/off switch to match your others.

4- Lowes and Home Despot [sic] often have sales on multi-packs of the CFL lamps in a single size. I think the price has gone down to around $1 per lamp....maybe even less.

If you haven't yet 'taken the plunge', I would recommend buying a pack of 60/ 75 and 100 watt 'equivalent'.....try 'em out.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

One side effect of using these bulbs is they apparently can trigger a migraine headache. Something about the flickering. Saw a report on this recently. People reported much more frequent headaches after installing the bulbs.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Mar 11 2008, 05:11 PM
One side effect of using these bulbs is they apparently can trigger a migraine headache. Something about the flickering. Saw a report on this recently. So if anyone is prone to these kinds of headaches, beware.
They shouldn't flicker after the warm up period

My dtr gets migraines but has not mentioned this (and SHE never hesitates to mention anything )

Btw, the amt of mercury in a CFL is reported to be minute.... I would check the package for "disposal" warnings. This used to be a concern w/battery disposal...apparently is now unnecessary
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the posts I've seen here have more to do with the CFs of a couple of years ago. These things have grown up a lot in the past couple of years.

The warm up period until full brightness is usually not noticable anymore and is an extremely short period besides - except in cold weather.

The flicker and migraine issue is more with traditional fluorescents, but the harsher daylight bulbs do seem to irritate existing headaches hence my usage of bright whites.

I have used them for years in my showers with no probs. I like them better since they don't get as hot and aren't as much of an issue with a lot of steam.

There are many of the CFs that can be used with a dimmer, you just have to get the right kind.

Definitely check the lumens when you buy the bulbs! Some of the cheaper brands do not put out as much light.

I sure wish someone would subsidize my purchase of CFs. I just bought over 100 of them to light the new house. I had no idea you could have that many lights in a house! Of course that does include all the lights outside as well.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced my T12 Flourescent fixtures in the carport with T8 fixtures. The ballasts in the T8 fixtures are rated for 0
Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Every single light in my house is a form of CFL love them, The only exception is in the studio and now they are making studio lighting that is cfl Im exploring the options there.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T8 ballasts don't cause the 60 Hz flicker that made the older T12 flourescent lights so objectionable. T8 fixtures are the best upgrade I've made in the garage; they aren't instantly bright on a cold morning, but they don't flicker and do provide great light quality. And keep in mind that a really cold morning in central Ohio is well below zero, F.

The CF bulbs I'm using leave me totally unimpressed, but the "tree hugger" in me forces me to continue to use them.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Mar 11 2008, 11:38 PM
.....but the "tree hugger" in me forces me to continue to use them.
Who knew?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

No.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Mar 11 2008, 08:07 AM
OK, but what if the lamp says MAX 60 watt bulb? Can you safely use a 75 Watt bulb in the energy saving ones?
The reason for the wattage limitation is the heat generated by an incandescent bulb. Since the fluorescents generate so little heat you can ignore the wattage limitation.

Quick Reply: Energy saving light blubs