S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Family History

Old 11-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Funny you'd post this wonderful pic today. Jim and I were reminiscing about family roots after watching Anthony Bourdain's piece on Charleston. We were particularly speaking to the way our cultures are defined in part by the foods we grew up enjoying that were cooked by our grandmothers and so on. My grandmother was largely influenced by my German/French ancestors and the foods she cooked are wonderful memories and of course by the culture of the African American folks who were such a huge part of my past. Love the pic and appreciate your posting it.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Found this old pic from my fishing days at the camp in NC my uncle was a member of. Spent many, many happy times there. Some more pics from the camp on previous pages.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 AM

Anyone want to update/post some family memories? I love old pics.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Setup for my story.....

My wife never knew her father. Through my research I learned he spent nearly 5 years in US Army; from January 1941 to November 1945. During the invasion of Italy and Africa in WWII he was a stretcher-bearer for 3.5 years! As a result he suffered from chronic posttraumatic stress disorder the rest of his life. Her parent’s marriage after the war only lasted 1.5 years. For reasons unknown he never made contact with her afterwards – but we suspect it was due to the wishes of her mother who was a very strong willed person.

She knew nothing of her father or his family until I got digging into it a year and half ago.

Findings

I had no idea when I started researching the ancestor side of her father that my wife would qualify to be a member in the national society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims and the national society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). We discovered her past relatives would be linked to the likes of William Penn, Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Boone, and George Washington. His family was linked to the original settlers of famous Pennsylvania cities like Germantown and Littlestown, be trustees of the first Mennonite Church in America, make world famous Pennsylvania long rifles, fight in the French & Indian, Revolutionary War, Civil War, and future wars. And there would be a connection to the second largest circus in the USA in the early 1800s.

Through my research I was able to contact one of her cousins, a retired minister, who was helpful in confirming my findings. I documented all my findings which resulted in 51 pages of text. It truly opened up a new chapter for my wife and how she felt about her father.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 AM

Good story!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Dave, that's a great story. What do you use for a research tool?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Hey Dave, that's a great story. What do you use for a research tool?
Bill, I used Ancestry.com over several winter months. Initially I signed up for their 6 month discounted rate. Since signing off I’ve received at least 9 emails from the site saying they have updates on individuals that were in the four different families that I researched. Here’s a summary of my findings:

Family #1 & #2
Date for earliest person 1755
Number people (online tree) 375
Story pages 126

Family #3
Date for earliest person 1634
Number people (online tree) 166
Story pages 50

Family #4
Date for earliest person 1600
Number people (online tree) 184
Story pages 11

I had planned to check those out this past winter for maybe a month (one month is $20); but for one reason or another I did not find the time. None-the-less the info will all be there when I get back on next winter. So I just saved the emails.

Beware: It can become very addictive and time consuming!

On my side I’ve made numerous contacts with relatives. As MsPerky suggested, photos are always a great find and I was able to share and pick up several with other relatives or other sources previously unknown. I disproved some long believed stories such as +1 cousin’s who all believed their dad was part Blackfoot Indian.

What you want is your own software that “talks” to the site (i.e. Ancestry.com) so you keep everything you put in the Ancestry on your own PC, after your done with Ancestry. II have a Mac so I purchased Family Tree Maker which was considered the best Mac genealogy software a couple years ago. This will give you an idea of what the various software records and how inexpensive it is. The records in the Ancestry cloud can be set up as private or public as you wish.

http://genealogy-software-review.top...logy-software/
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

I don't have sweet pictures of me fishing. Here's one from my Air Force days. I'm third from the left in the plaid shirt. We were enjoying Christmas without the family.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 AM

A young Dave with his first sports car - 62 Spitfire - and second - 63 Vette.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

A Vette with now grips ...

Quick Reply: Family History