S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ferrari Encounter - Is this typical?

Old 10-16-2003, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari Encounter - Is this typical?

Pulled into a McD's for lunch today, and parked in an isolated corner spot within the lines. As I was getting out, a Modena driven by a young man, I would guess around thirty, (w/ his peroxide blonde, silicone included) pulls up besides me and takes 2 spots on a diagonal. He gets out and I mentioned to him 'nice car' to which he just ignores me. I left it at that.
PS: as we were leaving I overheard his friend tease him about eating the apple pie in the car.
Also, I noticed the car failed to start on the first turn of the ignition. Some of you vintage folks may know of other individuals and can share some redeeming anecdotes of exotic-car owners.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I pulled up next to a brand new Porsche Carrera the other day. I nodded but he only stared forward. When the light turned green I tucked in behind him. He flicked his cigar ashes over the car so that they would hit my windshield.

The funny thing is most real car enthusiasts don't act like that.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:54 PM

Read your post elsewhere...why do some people have more money than decency? A philosophical question I guess that applies across the board - maybe 'rich' people are just easier targets?? Would a S2K person do the same w/ an old TR7 (saw one today)? I hope no one in our community has an attitude...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:14 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dex9 I hope no one in our community has an attitude...
I've met or run across several S2000 owners / drivers with that attitude. Even when driving the S2000 I've had other owners refuse to speak to me when I've said hello or nice car. Some people are just like that. It's their problem not mine.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:20 PM

Since I can't say anything to those 'others', let me just say humbly that we are fortunate to have our 'S' - whatever life circumstances...be grateful and gracious; never count your money in front of the poor.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about the person behind the wheel...

My last encounter with a Ferrari was exactly the opposite. As I was almost home, driving about 35mph through my little country village I see this beautiful red car coming towards me. As soon as it got closer I realized it was a Ferrari 550 Maranello, and trust me, a car like that is way out of place in my village. Well all of a sudden his lights flash and as we pass each other the Ferrari driver gives me the thumbs up. I felt like My Spa was elevated to exotic car status that day.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:47 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
It's all about the person behind the wheel...

My last encounter with a Ferrari was exactly the opposite. As I was almost home, driving about 35mph through my little country village I see this beautiful red car coming towards me. As soon as it got closer I realized it was a Ferrari 550 Maranello, and trust me, a car like that is way out of place in my village. Well all of a sudden his lights flash and as we pass each other the Ferrari driver gives me the thumbs up. I felt like My Spa was elevated to exotic car status that day.

You know it really doesn't take much. A flash of the lights, a thumbs up, a "V" and everyone feels good. You have to wonder why some people just don't get it. Why they feel like they have something to prove.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave a "thumbs up" as I passed a 356 Cabriolet going the other way last week... got a smile and a nod in return. You have to respect someone who drives an old sports car: anybody with a checkbook can drive a new one, but an old one requires a certain level of commitment.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:36 PM

I do a lot of hiking. Even in the great, grand woods where the pace has slowed to a walk, the air is clean and fresh, and the gentle sunlight filters through the leaves, the sourpuss still lurks.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
I gave a "thumbs up" as I passed a 356 Cabriolet going the other way last week... got a smile and a nod in return. You have to respect someone who drives an old sports car: anybody with a checkbook can drive a new one, but an old one requires a certain level of commitment.
Oh! That's real wisdom! Observations like this deserve to be engraved in stone. I like it!!

Anyone, Ferrari owner or not, who ignores a friendly compliment is a genuine boor, reminding me of what they used to call the Nazis --"...Neanderthals in airplanes....".

Quick Reply: Ferrari Encounter - Is this typical?