S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ford Mustang Makes the LB top 3 list

Old 03-20-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Ford Mustang Makes the LB top 3 list

On the same day I tried to test drive and Acura TL, I did manage to test drive a Mustang GT. The looks of the car just grab me. I have had several mustangs over the years, so I am partial to the looks. But that said, I really do think this is one of the few distinctive cars on the road that looks great at a reasonable price.

Interior does not look bad to me. Some of the materials have a low price feel to them, so I understand how some comment on that, but it isn't "Chevy Cavalier" cheap. It is a step below the Mazda RX8 interior, just for comparison. I found the seats supportive and comfortable. Some complain that they could have better lateral support, but for a daily driver, I think the seats strike a nice balance of support and comfort. The shifter is much improved over older Mustangs. The throws could be a smidge shorter for me, but really not bad at all.

Start the engine and smile! They left her a little loud and it sounds great. I can't really do the sound justice, but you not only hear the V8 burbble, but there is a little extra "rip" in the sound that really gets the juices pumping. Kinda like the sound of the Mustang in the movie Bullit. I can see why they used Steve McQueen in the commercial.

The ride was exceptionally well controlled. The shifter was smooth and the shift transitions were smooth. I was prepared for some jerking shift transitions until I got used to the shif/throttle/clutch modulations for this car, but it was smooth and slick from shift one.

Power felt great BUT I did not take it over 4,000 rpm. The engine is very tractable and you can lug it down to 1,000 rpm in 5th and still accleerate away smoothly.

I have heard comments that the brake pedal is a little soft, but it felt fine to me. My Jag pedal is soft, so maybe it only felt fine in comparisson to what I am used to.

Steering was good. Nice feel to the wheel and good response to minor inputs, but I got no where near the limits.

Exterior body finsih left a little to be desired. I don't know if it is just this one car, or all mustangs, but the panel fit was a little inconsistent. Some gaps were larger than others.

Trunk is small. but not too small. Rear seats fold down 60-40 for added hauling capacity. The underhood view is not very pretty, but it means business and I'd rather open the hood and see an industial looking engine than a plastic cover.

Anyway, the search continues. But the Mustang makes it to the final rounds.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,614 Posts

A guy in my office just bought one...the wait is 4-6 months.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I haven't driven one, but I've seen a few at our local Ford dealer and on the road. The car is beautiful. It is the best looking retro car on the road. It looks like a real car as opposed to the "Looney Toons" look of some of the other retros like the PT Cruiser.

If its styling that you're after, the Mustang is hard to beat.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Mar 20 2005, 08:42 PM
I haven't driven one, but I've seen a few at our local Ford dealer and on the road. The car is beautiful. It is the best looking retro car on the road. It looks like a real car as opposed to the "Looney Toons" look of some of the other retros like the PT Cruiser.

If its styling that you're after, the Mustang is hard to beat.
I'm a sucker for a pretty face Rob.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two suggestions before you commit to the Mustang:

1. If you drive over rough roads at all regularly - and after this winter, quite a few roads in the Boston area have gotten worse - take the Mustang over them. A live rear axle really accentuates certain types of bumps, turning them from noisy annoyances to bone jarring experiences.

2. If you park in tight parking spots at all, park in one and see how you like the entry/exit. The long doors on 2+2 cars can make getting in and out much more difficult than the shorter doors on two seaters and four door sedans. (The Jag was a four door, right?)
Old 03-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Mar 20 2005, 08:41 PM
I'm a sucker for a pretty face Rob.
I will agree with you that the Mustang is a handsome car. Really reminds me of the 67, which is the best looking Muatang produced IMO.

BTW, the dealer near me has a silver GT on their lot.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,723 Posts

It looks so much like the old ones. I like it but I wouldn't want one. Andy and I drove through Mojave, CA twice today and they have at least two on their lot. I've seen a couple a day on the road around here too. Hardly ever any S2000s though.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 326 Likes on 276 Posts

I've looked at a couple at the local ford dealers. They really look and sound good. Havn't taken one for a test drive yet ( the days I was looking at them the roads were too slippery to get a true feel for the car).
Old 03-21-2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Mar 20 2005, 10:08 PM
Two suggestions before you commit to the Mustang:

1. If you drive over rough roads at all regularly - and after this winter, quite a few roads in the Boston area have gotten worse - take the Mustang over them. A live rear axle really accentuates certain types of bumps, turning them from noisy annoyances to bone jarring experiences.

2. If you park in tight parking spots at all, park in one and see how you like the entry/exit. The long doors on 2+2 cars can make getting in and out much more difficult than the shorter doors on two seaters and four door sedans. (The Jag was a four door, right?)
Do you really think a live rear axle is that bad? I've owned more live rear axle cars in my life than I have IRS cars by a wide margin. I really think it comes down to the suspension tuning. Sure, you can hear the rear end go over bumps in the new Mustang, but it isn't bone jarring.

2 door coupes are harder to get out of in tight spaces, but I don't really have that probelm. Plus, this problem would exist with almost any 2 door I am looking at, except maybe the RSX-s that has little doors for a coupe.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I would also like to drive the Mustang. One of my candidates for a Classic Car would be a 65/66 Mustang 289/4 spd.....so this would fulfill that desire w/o the 50 year baggage

Bill, I take it that you're not looking for a 4-5 person touring car again....since you're considering this to replace the Jag? I forget....have you considered the RX-8

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Makes the LB top 3 list