S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Go back to where you came from.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Go back to where you came from.

Go back to where you came from.

I am starting this thread here in the hopes that it doesn’t become political. Please do not turn this thread political as I think there are some very valuable stories to be told. Today in the New York Times there was an article based upon some of the readers experiences. I found it fascinating. I believe that each and every one of us has a story to tell which I think is well worth hearing. Please post your story here about the time you heard something like go back to where you came from. I’ll start.

I was born in Brooklyn, NY but my grandfather owned a two family house in Richmond Hill, Queens. My father had just gone into business and money was tight, so my parent jumped at my grandfather’s offer to live in the upstairs apartment.

Richmond Hill, Queens was a largely Irish and Italian neighborhood of hard working people. Cops, firefighters, garbage men and factory workers. We were one of the very few Jewish families to live there. For the most part, it didn’t matter. Everybody got along. Our neighbors had 5 daughters and the youngest daughter, about 10 years older than me used to baby sit for us when my parents would go out on a Friday or Saturday. They treated my sisters and myself as if we were part of their family and we treated them the same. I was a 5 year old madly in love with my 15 year old baby sitter.

Unfortunately, not everyone in the neighborhood was like that. A few families on the block had sons about my age. I’d play with them during the spring and summer when we were outside, but I was never allowed into their house. I didn’t know why. When I finally asked them why I couldn’t come in to play with them I was told it was because I was Jewish and they weren’t allowed to play with Jews. Being a 5 year old, I didn’t quite understand it. My parents tried to explain it to me, but it never really made sense to me. Only later, in my teens, did I start to understand the discrimination and hate that existed.

A few years later my folks bought a house in Brooklyn, in a mixed neighborhood and I never again heard that other children couldn’t play with me because of my religion.

Even though it’s never happened again, and I’ve never forgotten it. These scars don’t go away.

How about you? Have you ever been told anything like this or have you ever been told to go back to where you came from. Please share your story.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Jim,

If this thread does become political do not hesitate to move it to the Politics subforum, but if possible please leave it here as I think there are some very valuable stories to hear.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,544 Posts

IBTM
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm from a very small, rural town outside Buffalo NY so I didn't get the same type of upbringing that city folk do.
When I was about 10 I was playing little league baseball. Our league would sponsor a trip for the players to be bused to the big city of Buffalo where we attended a Bisons minor league baseball game. We had seats up in the bleachers. As there were some empty box seats me and a couple of buddies ran down to get a better view of the game. After about a 1/2 inning an usher came up to us and asked to see our tickets. It was then when we were told to go back to where you came from.....meaning our bleacher seats.
Levi
Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 PM
tof

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,314 Posts

My great grandfather was run out of Canada for his beliefs.

He believed every horse in Canada belonged to him.

Sorry Rob. Not making light of your experience as a youngster. Its just that I love that joke and use it whenever I can.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 5,016 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
My great grandfather was run out of Canada for his beliefs.

He believed every horse in Canada belonged to him.

Sorry Rob. Not making light of your experience as a youngster. Its just that I love that joke and use it whenever I can.
All right, my background was from Irish horse thieves, as best I can determine. do what you got'a do. But, my wife's goes back to hanging around Ben Franklin and his lot..

Last edited by dlq04; 07-19-2019 at 08:26 PM.