S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Good-bye Olds

Old 04-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts
Default Good-bye Olds

Tomorrow 4-28-2004 at 10:00 am the Lansing Michigan Assembly line will commemorate the end of Oldsmobile Production. This Marque has been in production since 1897, and the first Oldsmobile was built less than two miles from where
the last one will be built. The Lansing Plant has the Honor of making the Last Oldsmobile.

It is a 2004 Alero Coupe, and will be donated to the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing Michigan. To commemorate this Marque, Oldsmobile has special Badges affixed to the last 500 Alero Built.

Cameras are not allowed in the Plant, but but one of my buddies will be attending the ceremony. A Hood and Deck Lid will be signed by all GM Lansing Oldsmobile employees. These will also be donated to the R.E. Olds Museum.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks for posting this. It really is sad. I have always preferred Oldsmobile over Buick, anyway. It was always the exciting, experimental division through the years. The first Ohv V8 in the 1949 Rocket (and Cadillac), the first Hydramatic transmission, same year. And the fifties models designed by Harley Earl's team were IMO the most beautiful of all the GM cars (except the 58+ cars were pretty outrageous like the other division cars). I have a red and white 1/18 model of a '55 Rocket 88 right in front of me on my desk. My uncle had one in 1/1, same color scheme, and I remember how he would punch it on the highway to give the kids a bit of a thrill.
I think Olds was the victim of the exaggerated front drive revolution at GM, where every new offering was a torque steering FWD model of questionable design and quality. I once bought a Nissan Pathfinder from an Olds/Nissan dealer, and the salesman told me there was very little customer interest in the Olds cars -- everyone was buying a Nissan.
Only now does GM seem to be slowly awakening after being asleep so long.
Too bad it couldn't have been Buick, that is biting the dust instead.
Still, R. E. Olds will be remembered as one of the greatest automotive figures of all time.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have many fond memories of the Oldsmobiles of the fifties. I talked my dad into buying a 1950 model and no other stock cars could even touch it

In 1957 I got married and also got a new Ford Fairlane 500 sport coupe from one of my friends who was a used car dealer. I had only had it a few months and didn't really like it so I told my friend to see what he could get me in a cheaper new car with me on an even trade. He got me a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan with stick shift. My wife hated the stick shift so after a while I told him to look for a 1955 Super 88 coupe with low miles. He found one with less than 20k and absolutely mint so I traded again. People thought I was insane to trade a new 1957 car for a used 1955 car.

In my opinion the 1955 Olds is the best car they ever built - atleast until the 1970"s.

We kept that car until 1968. I ran an ad in the Kansas City paper and a guy came to look at it as a second car to drive to work. He was very concerned about any major problems that he might encounter. I told him in his wildest moments I didn't think he could tear anything major up on that car and if he had a problem within 30 days to bring it back. I never heard from him.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

After 1970 I was never quite able to figure out who the Oldsmobile was aimed at. Who was it's target market. I think that might have been one of the problems leading towards its death.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

My dad never drove GM cars in my memory. He always had a DeSoto or a Chrysler, except in the early fifties he had Hudson Hornets. Those were exciting cars! In the mid fifties he fell in love with the VW beatle on a trip to Germany and had one shipped over to Colorado. He still drives a VW, but he buys Mercurys for my mother, who likes a little more creature comfort.

But I always wanted him to buy an Oldsmobile. Guess I didn't have your persuasive power, Rob.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Some time in the 70s my folks decided it was time to "step up" from the Chevy Impalas that they had been driving. They weren't quite ready for a Caddy so they came home in a charcoal grey Olds 98. It was the biggest thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't stand it. It was way to big next to my MGB, but they loved it.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be fooled. This concept vehicle was *just* exposed during my trip up to Spring Fling. I believe it's GM's master plan to revive Oldsmobile.

On a seperate note, I must share that I think the signing and special badges is ultra-cool and something the folks should be proud of. To know that the 10 millionth Honda Accord was manufactured in Marysville, Ohio makes me exceptionally proud. I wish I could have been at the plant. Awesome. I guess if I were into Oldsmobile as I am with Honda, I'd feel sad(der).

Remember When
  • 1982 - Auto production begins at the Marysville Auto Plant on Nov. 1.
  • 1986 - Production of the Civic Sedan begins at the Marysville Auto Plant.
  • 1988 - Honda of America produces its 1 millionth vehicle, a 1988 Civic Sedan.
  • 1988 - Honda of America produces the first Accord Coupe for export to Japan.
  • 1989 - The new East Liberty Auto Plant begins production of the Civic on Dec. 18.
  • 1996 - Honda of America's 5 millionth car, a 1997 Accord EX Sedan, is built at the Marysville Auto Plant.
  • 1999 - Marysville Auto Plant produces its 5 millionth Accord
  • 2000 - Honda of America produces the 2 millionth Civic at the East Liberty Auto Plant.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Long live the rocket V8.

Hey, anyone ever drive a Toronado? We had one for a little while, but my dad didn't like front-wheel drive in those days (late '60s). I thought the car was very cool.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '70-ish Cutlass has developed a cult-like following. I've seen "Funk Master Flex" on Spike TV restore/customize more than one for people who could afford to drive anything ever made.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had a 62 98, what a car. In the early 70's I convinced him the car was over the hill. I could kick myself for that. He replaced it with a 74 Cutlass Salon. Three years later that car was mine. Headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley double pumper, Crane cam, Shift kit, New gears, what a blast.

Quick Reply: Good-bye Olds