S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOne2007
Man, you guys make me glad to have Macs at home. I'm typing this on a 6-year-old laptop that is still going fine. Running Snow Leopard (3 gens behind). If I want to go to the newest OS (Mavericks), that means new hardware and I don't see the need for that.
So what makes this different than the PC world. I'm typing this on a Windows desktop that was purchased in December 2006. Guess what, it's also fine. Like your Mac, I'd probably require a hardware upgrade to move to a newer O/S at this point.

My wife's desktop is 7+ years and also fine, running the same OS. The need for new hardware has been held off due to new phones, and iPad and a Kindle Fire. When we do upgrade, though, I know the new Mac will look and work like the old one. Improvements, but not so different that you can't figure it out.
If Microsoft kept a mostly consistent look and didn't change the interface with new versions the whole world would criticize then for lack of ingenuity, creativity or for being old-fashioned. Apple doesn't change much and their applauded for consistency and lack of impact on their users. I guess it depends on which glasses you wear?

As for the consistent look across all platforms, I think it's a response to market trends. Apple's been doing that for a while, constantly taking iOS components and working them into the OS X feature set.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
...because most of the software I use isn't available for Mac OS.
That is the only reason I keep my Windows desktop. After using the Macbook Air I will never buy another Windows machine. It took decades to change and I am not looking back.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Resistance to Win 8 could be related to the debacle that was Vista. I think people (especially me) get comfortable with certain operating systems, latest and greatest take time, time we don't always have.

I updated my office computer to Windows 7, got the newest Excel and Word version too. I was happy enough with older versions for my needs/use/skill level. Maybe that doesn't apply to all, but that's my story.

If I update at home, I'll specify Windows 7. It will just make my life easier using the same OS at work, and at home on PC and net book.

Heck I LOVE my net book and I know many folks want much more technology than that. Ipads aren't in my budget and the net book does the trick. I use it daily and when I travel.
Lainey,

I completely understand. If you are comfortable with Win7 you should stay with it. My point is simply not to let the GUI in Win8 or Win8.1 frighten you. It really is very easy to learn, and in spite of all of the negative hype it's gotten Win8.1 does run very well.

You probably are correct that some of the resistance comes from the bad memories of Windows Vista and Windows ME. I personally never had ME but I did run Vista for a while and never had any problem with it. I did tweak it though.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1383311166' post='22856872
...because most of the software I use isn't available for Mac OS.
That is the only reason I keep my Windows desktop. After using the Macbook Air I will never buy another Windows machine. It took decades to change and I am not looking back.
I actually have one foot in each world. I generally prefer Windows over the MacOS. For some reason, I just like Windows better, and not all of my software is available for the Mac. On the other hand, in my opinion Apple hardware is the best (but most pricey) that's out there. Many of my clients, especially my younger clients, use Macs and Mac software. I have to be able to work with their files such as QuickBooks for Mac.

My solution has been my MacBook Pro with Win8.1 in BootCamp.

I also use a Windows desktop, but I've never been satisfied with the machines from Dell, Lenovo, etc. so I generally buy the components and put them together myself. I find it's easier to get the machine I want and the quality I want that way. I probably don't save any money, but I get what I want.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
If Microsoft kept a mostly consistent look and didn't change the interface with new versions the whole world would criticize then for lack of ingenuity, creativity or for being old-fashioned. Apple doesn't change much and their applauded for consistency and lack of impact on their users. I guess it depends on which glasses you wear?

As for the consistent look across all platforms, I think it's a response to market trends. Apple's been doing that for a while, constantly taking iOS components and working them into the OS X feature set.
You are absolutely right. In todays marketplace Apple can do no wrong, and Microsoft can't get it right. I guess that's the perception that comes from Microsoft being the 800 pound gorilla in the room for so long.

Of course I wish Gates was still in charge instead of Balmer. Gates was visionary, Balmer is not.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

OK...Wifi expert needed. How do I set up a secure personal Wifi connection? I have Bluemont Networks for my PC (wired), Verizon for my tablet and Comcast for the TV. Is is better just to work wired?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I'm not a geek, but does your computer modem have a wi-fi option? You can call your provider to find out. If it does, you can open a wi-fi connection with a password for your other devices. Verizon has walked me through that in the past. I am currently with Comcast, they set up the modem for me and it works great if someone (like grandkid) wants to connect to the internet with their ipod. I use it for my netbook, and my iphone so I can stretch the data plan on the iphone.

If you don't have a modem with those capabilities, they may be able to send you one, or you can get a wireless router, but the geek squad that stops by here can guide you better than I.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
OK...Wifi expert needed. How do I set up a secure personal Wifi connection? I have Bluemont Networks for my PC (wired), Verizon for my tablet and Comcast for the TV. Is is better just to work wired?

Ms P-

If I'm understanding the request, you want to be able to add more devices (network printer, your tablet, a guest, etc... ) to your home network as required? If so, follow along:

WiFi is a function of your Internet service.
Your tablet is Verizon for cellular. It likely has a WiFi option when there is WiFi available.
Your TV is irrelevant if you have a different provider for Internet Service.

Your Internet service comes in through the wall of your house. It goes to some type of device. Normally, that's a cable modem, however, newer ones MAY offer other functions.
If your cable modem is next to your PC, and you only have that one PC, you are likely directly connected (COAX into the modem, Ethernet out of the modem and into the PC).
If your modem has additional wired ports available, it might also signify that it acts as a router. If so, it MIGHT have WiFi, depending on model and age. Call Bluemont or post the product name/number of your cable modem. It's worth a shot, but lets go below since it's a longshot.

What you need to do is add a ROUTER in between the modem and the PC. The router interacts with the modem to get the 'OUTSIDE NETWORK' part of the world, and the router interacts with all the devices in your house for the 'LOCAL' side of the world. When you set up the router, you can configure it for WiFi and guest networks, you can select the authentication method(s), and give it parameters that control how it works. It's all done from a website on the router itself that you access from a device on the network. Routers inherently also add some security to some type of hackers on the internet just looking for unprotected devices (which you often are if you don't have something between your PC and modem.

Depending on the size of the house, how many devices, where the router is located you have choices ranging from a $50 to $60 model up to about $200.

As for wired/wifi? I think it depends on what it is and what's available. When I moved in, I had access to the basement and a path to all the rooms, so I chose to run Network, Phone and Cable everywhere. The previous owner had a phone in 2 rooms, cable in 1 and no network. I prefer my home PC to be wired, as is my network storage and printers. My Smart TV is wired, as is my BluRay, stereo receiver and XBOX. I use wireless for a laptop (when not in the office where its wired), my iPad, Cindy's phone and her laptop as well as guests needing impromptu access. If I was moving in today, that might be different.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I have access to Wifi connections, but the concern is that they are not secure enough. So the recommendation is that I get a personal one. I don't want to take any chances working from home. But I'm just not familiar with how to go about getting one and which company to choose. I have a router from Bluemont, but I don't think it's Wifi compatible. I'm going to talk to them, since I think it makes sense to go through them to set this up. Thanks for your help. BTW - I'm in an apt. I just want to be able to go into the living room to work without being wired. It's not that big a deal. I'm not trying to set up anything other than laptop access for my new job.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I have access to Wifi connections, but the concern is that they are not secure enough. So the recommendation is that I get a personal one. I don't want to take any chances working from home. But I'm just not familiar with how to go about getting one and which company to choose. So I'm asking for help from you geeky folks who have experience with such things. Also, what does it cost to set one up?
If you have a modem for your current internet connection, you can add a wireless router to it with little to no problem.

And, you can password protect that connection so others can't get on it.....

I work from home often, and just have a Cisco wireless router coming off my cable modem...... then my desktop hardwired to the router....

My work laptop, Kathy's work and personal laptop, and our smart phones all use the wireless.....

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek