S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1379900350' post='22791158

We were going to vacuum out the computer this afternoon but step one, Remove cover, baffled us. The day was half shot already and I didn't want to mess with it. Of course using the computer to work with some pics later, the fan was noisy.
What model do you have, I can check and see if I find anything online.... or post a pic of the back and sides should be enough.
Dell Vostro 200. I found some online info, but we've just had too much going on to deal with it. Letting the computer power down has worked OK. Now, if you want to stop by and take care of this, we'll buy you a
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Manuals can be found here.... http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/...-200#wp1508953

Mini tower side removal is on pages 103-104.

Slim tower side removal is on pages 101-102.

I've attached pdf's of these pages.

If all else fails, a crowbar or cutting torch can be used to open the case!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mini.pdf (323.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf
Slim.pdf (184.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Thanks, Mike!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Interesting you mention Win 8. I was just looking to see how difficult it would be to upgrade from XP to Win 7/8. Ain't happening. It requires a reinstall, which I'm not going to do. I'll just wait and get a new desktop next year or whenever.
Psssst.... Get a Mac when the time comes. I made the switch years ago, and have been very pleased with that decision. The Mac Mini was the first Mac I bought years ago. It's still going strong, in fact Rori has been using it as her home computer for 3+ years now.
She had some misgivings at first because she has been a Windblows user for decades. She loves iOS now, and has laid claim to my current iPad as soon as I get my new one when the new models are released (purportedly) this fall.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1380021753' post='22793540
Interesting you mention Win 8. I was just looking to see how difficult it would be to upgrade from XP to Win 7/8. Ain't happening. It requires a reinstall, which I'm not going to do. I'll just wait and get a new desktop next year or whenever.
Psssst.... Get a Mac when the time comes. I made the switch years ago, and have been very pleased with that decision. The Mac Mini was the first Mac I bought years ago. It's still going strong, in fact Rori has been using it as her home computer for 3+ years now.
She had some misgivings at first because she has been a Windblows user for decades. She loves iOS now, and has laid claim to my current iPad as soon as I get my new one when the new models are released (purportedly) this fall.
As a matter of fact, my notebook is a one year old MacBook Pro with an I7 chip and 4 gig of ram. I used BootCamp to partition the hard drive giving 75% to Windows and 25% to Mountain Lion (Apple OS). I need this much space in the Win partition because all of my accounting software runs on Windows and I almost never use the Apple side.

I loaded Windows8 into the Windows partition and I love it. It's easily the best notebook I've ever owned, and to this day among the fastest I've seen.

My only regret with reference to my notebook is that I didn't go for the additional cost of getting an SSD drive. It would have been quite expensive because I need a huge hard drive, but had I gotten the SSD drive the computer would work at supersonic speed. I have an SSD drive on my desktop (also running Win8) and it's very fast.

I am running Office 2013 on the Windows side but had to stick with the 32 bit version of Office because some of the audit programs that I must be able to use do not run in Office 64 bit and PPC will not make it compatible with the 64 bit version of Office.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 AM

^ I just bought a new 13" MacBook Air, and I was quite surprised at how fast the SSD is. The MBA is the fastest laptop I've ever used.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
^ I just bought a new 13" MacBook Air, and I was quite surprised at how fast the SSD is. The MBA is the fastest laptop I've ever used.
Do not ever defrag the SSD drive. Defragging slows it down and can lead to an early demise. I got this straight from the technicians at Kingston Technology at a seminar I attended.

I've had my eyes on the MacBook Air. Let me know how you like it, it might be my next notebook. I'm tired of carrying the MacBook Pro around, it's significantly heavier than the MBA. How big is your SSD drive?

My other choice might be the Microsoft Surface II simply because it can run Office, but I'm not sure it'll run my other software.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

Love this thread. No issues at present, but we're going to replace our old desktop that is rarely used sometime in the not too distant future. I'm hoping to get some advice at that time. Another reason to love this group is the talent that abounds! Someone always knows a great deal about just about anything. Super.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1380037006' post='22793971
Do not ever defrag the SSD drive. Defragging slows it down and can lead to an early demise. I got this straight from the technicians at Kingston Technology at a seminar I attended.

I've had my eyes on the MacBook Air. Let me know how you like it, it might be my next notebook. I'm tired of carrying the MacBook Pro around, it's significantly heavier than the MBA. How big is your SSD drive?

My other choice might be the Microsoft Surface II simply because it can run Office, but I'm not sure it'll run my other software.
I've had the MBA for about two months now. I love it. It replaced a two year old 13" MBP, which I gave to my oldest daughter. My MBA has a 256 GB, i7, 8 GB RAM, SSD, which is plenty big enough for me. I bought it primarily for the weight savings. My doctor told me no more carrying my office around on my back, so that's what I used for an excuse to buy it And to justify buying the newest iPAD when it comes out.

My only (very minor) disappointment with my MBA is that this latest release - contrary to all the rumors I had read previous to its release - is that the MBA wasn't upgraded to the "Retina" screen. But now that I've used the MBA for a bit, I don't notice the lower resolution at all. One more point in the MBA's favor is its amazing battery life, somewhere in the neighborhood of twelve hours.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Here's some info about the demise of Windows XP that you may find helpful.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek