S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

been running 8.1 pro multi media on my main pc, 64 bit and one tablet, 32 bit. since it came out.. very easy going... I've liked using it since day 1... didn't seem any thing didn't want to load up or be discovered or work.. printers, cameras, scanners, sound bars, Bluetooth mice and keyboards, NAS storage drives, the lot.. nothing like the problems with drivers from every other windows upgrade, even found my old Linksys media extender..

good luck with your install, but I can't imagine it causing any problems..

Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Nobody liked Windows XP when it came out either.
Anyone remember the DOS 6.0 (or was it 5.0) to Windows 3 (or was it 3.1) switch?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 AM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryuu
good luck with your install, but I can't imagine it causing any problems..
Thanks. It's my first OS install.

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1398141091' post='23123563

Anyone remember the DOS 6.0 (or was it 5.0) to Windows 3 (or was it 3.1) switch?
I'm willing to bet there are quite a few here who remember it.

The first machine I owned was a commodore something or other. I didn't touch anything computer related for a long time -- studied journalism instead. The next machine after that ran Windows 3.1. I eventually decided to get into tech and my first two courses I took were DOS 6.0 (it was a pre-req) and Netware 4.11 administration. Got my CNA, CNE, and then MasterCNE, and all of those and $5 will get me a coffee at Starbucks now. LOL!

I remember going to the computer fair and buying all the parts to build my first PC. I remember one of the vendors at the fair asking if I was building a server. I remember being the first in my entire apartment complex to get DSL and the installer showing up with a daughter card to install on my PC, which, after seeing my gear, he promptly handed to me and said, "I'm guessing you will want to install this yourself." I remember hating Windows 95. I remember hating Windows ME (but that was with good reason). I remember hating XP because I really loved Windows 2000. So many things just flat would not run on XP and 2000 had been sooooo stable. I remember hating Vista (but that was also with good reason). I have learned that hating a new OS is wasted energy. I wait until the first service pack is released, learn it, decide if it's any good, then go from there.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1398133019' post='23123432
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1398132244' post='23123410']
It's been mentioned at least three times already in this thread, but you can boot straight to the desktop mode on sign-in if you prefer (and most will likely prefer that). Below are instructions from the MS website on how to do that:
I hadn't read much of the thread regarding Windows 8. My use of it thankfully, will be limited. I don't dislike learning something new, but if someone dumped a windows 8 computer on my desk and expected me to do the tasks I generally do with my PC I know I'd have issues that I did not have with previous transitions. I'll be curious as to if Windows 8 ends up being the next Vista. We'll see.
The info I posted was primarily in response to toekneer's comment that he clicks to the top left of the screen to get to the desktop. One can launch directly to it and skip the other screens. I wasn't implying that you dislike learning something new (although you were complaining about having to deal with these tablets so I suggested you say no since it seemed like a hassle for you).

Windows 8.1 is not a Vista or ME situation. If it were, we would see that already. Service pack 1 (8.1) is out and in use and it's not causing huge problems in any major corporations like Vista did.

[/quote]
I wish I could say no to some of the things that have been dropped on my desk. But if the boss drops them there............

I didn't think you were implying that I don't like change. I don't mind change, I just like time to absorb the change and prefer it in smaller increments. The changes in Windows 8 are a big chunk of change, especially since I don't have that "techy" gene.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1398133019' post='23123432
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1398132244' post='23123410']
It's been mentioned at least three times already in this thread, but you can boot straight to the desktop mode on sign-in if you prefer (and most will likely prefer that). Below are instructions from the MS website on how to do that:
I hadn't read much of the thread regarding Windows 8. My use of it thankfully, will be limited. I don't dislike learning something new, but if someone dumped a windows 8 computer on my desk and expected me to do the tasks I generally do with my PC I know I'd have issues that I did not have with previous transitions. I'll be curious as to if Windows 8 ends up being the next Vista. We'll see.
The info I posted was primarily in response to toekneer's comment that he clicks to the top left of the screen to get to the desktop. One can launch directly to it and skip the other screens. I wasn't implying that you dislike learning something new (although you were complaining about having to deal with these tablets so I suggested you say no since it seemed like a hassle for you).

Windows 8.1 is not a Vista or ME situation. If it were, we would see that already. Service pack 1 (8.1) is out and in use and it's not causing huge problems in any major corporations like Vista did.

[/quote]

Vista didn't cause big problems in a lot of corporations because THEY NEVER USED IT!!!

We made the jump from Xp directly to Win7. ( and that goes for the other 80,000 folks I work with as well.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 AM

I've been told the tablets need to have the OS updated before I send them out. I checked the link you gave me, Roseanne and it shows the system as windows 8, yet the control panel shows 8.1. I checked for updates again this AM and two of the three tablets are downloading updates for 8.1. Are there any other updates to the OS that need to be downloaded from the windows store, or are the updates I find by the control panel "check for updates" all that I need?

I went to the Acer web site and they are giving more instructions to upgrade to 8.1, remove this do that. "Stuff" which I'm neither familiar with or comfortable with. If updating these tablets does require more than I can get from the "check for updates" I'm sending them to the local computer guy.

Checked again...looks like I have the 8.1. Is this it? Am I done???
Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Check for operating system info in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
Tap or click PC and devices, and then tap or click PC info.

Look under Windows for the version and edition of Windows that your PC is running.

Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

PC info page in PC settings
Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update are updates to Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 that include new and changed features to help you get the best out of your PC. To see what’s included in these updates, see What's new in Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update?

To check if you have Windows 8.1 Update or Windows RT 8.1 Update, check your Start screen. If you see a search button next to your account picture in the upper-right corner, you are running Windows 8.1 Update or Windows RT 8.1 Update.

Start screen in Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Thank you. I think I'm good. Had difficulties with a blue tooth mouse, got it to work on one tablet, then tried to use it on another and it could not locate it. I have NEVER had such difficulty with pretty much basic computer stuff before. The day sucked, Windows 8 still sucks. They have made it so difficult to get around.

Just give me an account to balance, an invoice to post or a letter to type. I am soooooooooooo not an IT person.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I am soooooooooooo not an IT person.
Soooo... have to ask.....

How's the smart phone and you doing?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1398212028' post='23125201
I am soooooooooooo not an IT person.
Soooo... have to ask.....

How's the smart phone and you doing?
You know I do just fine with the smart phone. I know it is still smarter than I am, and that it can do much more than I use it for. BUT it was way easier to navigate around the iphone from day one than it was dealing with Windows 8.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek