S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A GPS Warning

Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 24 2009, 07:49 AM
Wow, I have left my paper maps all over, frequently, and never had a problem like this...
WARNING, sit before you fall...

I'm now the owner of...

Garmin Nuvi 255W

I recently was looking to do several long road trips to specific addresses as I went shopping for a new-to-me motorcycle, and I finally decided, maybe one of these damnn things would be hellpful. Well, all I can say is holy crap, this thing is awesome. In my first couple of trips it had already been a tremendous help, getting me back onto the highway after having to deal with a totally unplanned detour, and finding a gas station in the middle of nowhere Ohio when I suddenly discovered I was almost out of gas.

It is true this thing is not perfect, but I suspect if I did a map upgrade it would be better, but it has only had me driving off-road a few times when I was clearly on a road.

I thought of this thread because I set my home address as the police substation that is about 4-miles from my house.

Another of the motivations behind this purchase was the Where Am I? function on the Garmin. The motorcycle does not have a huge range when the gas tank is full, and more than once in my 25-years of riding I have found myself knocking on a farmer's door asking for a quart of gas, and a clue as to what direction do I ride to find civilization. I do not plan to mount the unit on the bike because that would be too distracting for me, but having it with me and able to figure out quickly what way do I ride to find a gas station will be a huge benefit.

About the only other thing- this thing is virtually useless in bright sunlight, like it would be in the S2000 top down. I have only mounted it and really used it in the Frontier and with a closed roof it has been fine, but I took it out while stopped in the sun in the S to set a favorite location, and I was amazed at how washed out the screen was, and yes, I had it on max brightness.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Mar 27 2009, 04:42 AM
I had a co-worker who had his car broken into while at work.
Much later in the day when he was out there with the glass guy, he realized they had stolen his registration.
The glass guy then asked him if he had a garage remote in the car.
To his horror it was gone.
So they then knew where he lived and had away into his house.
I heard a similar story as well (but I don't know if it is true or just urban legend):

A family went to a ball game, their car was broken into and the thieves took the GPS and the garage opener. From the GPS the thieves found the home and got into the house through the garage. The thieves knew how long the ball game will last and took their time removing everything from the house.

The point of the story is not to put your own home location in the GPS. But I suppose as boltonblue said, the thieves can also get the address from the registration, so it may not make any difference.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

Good post. I keep ours locked in the glove compartment but if my wife had her purse stolen with the car keys in it. Hmmmm. Bringing it in the house. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,396 Posts

I now have remotes on my keychain instead of the visor.
or it's is part of the rearview mirror. either way pretty tough to steal.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM

LIVE IN FEAR or live your life
Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 3,024 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I keep home on my GPS but take it out of the car. I was at a Dent Days, and a guy was getting the dents in his door top removed. Someone saw the power cord in his S2000 (although the GPS wasn't in sight), cut his soft top, and looked for the GPS. I hide all cords, too, now.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

The problem isn't the GPS, its the keys. Keep whatever you want in your purse, keep your GPS anywhere, but keep your keys in your pocket and always lock the doors (including the inside door from the garage into your house).

You aren't supposed to leave your registration in your car, only your insurance card. If someone steals your car and has the registration, they more or less, have your car. Here in the State of New Jersey you can purchase (for $5.00) extra registrations for each car when you register the car. We purchase two for every car, Liz carries one and I carry the other. We never leave registrations in the car.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 AM

our registration says keep this document in your vehicle at all times

as Jerry mentioned in another thread registrations are a thing of the past because every police officer has all your data at his fingertips so there is no need for a piece of paper
Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass,May 1 2010, 05:01 AM
Same in this state.

Doug, good to hear you've joined the technical revolution..... I've had one for years! Can I have your old maps?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 3,024 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass,May 1 2010, 02:01 AM

as Jerry mentioned in another thread registrations are a thing of the past because every police officer has all your data at his fingertips so there is no need for a piece of paper
Then why do they still ask for it every time they pull me over? Oh, wait, I know. Just to be a PITA.

Quick Reply: A GPS Warning