S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Guitar Lessons

Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Guitar Lessons

I love music. All kinds of music. I’m the person who voted “It’s all good” on the poll. I’ve always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument, but for some reason, I never did. I was too busy working, I didn’t have the patience, didn’t want to spend the money, didn’t have an instrument, and every other excuse you could think of.

I love the piano. I think it’s the greatest instrument ever invented, but I don’t have one. I have a keyboard that my niece gave me after we bought her a piano. Every now and again I take it out of it’s box, plug it in and play chopsticks. After about a week, and Liz getting annoyed that it’s out doing nothing, I put it away again for another year.

My second favorite instrument is the guitar. Especially the acoustic guitar. I love the sound of a well played acoustic guitar. I love folk music played on an acoustic guitar. And I like the fact that it can go anywhere you go. Sometimes I think that if I knew how to play the guitar I could sit out on my deck in the summer, play a few songs (and sing if nobody is around) and really enjoy myself. Doesn’t that sound nice? Imagine sitting on the deck, in the warm summer, playing (and singing) “Goodnight Irene” or “Puff the Magic Dragon”.

About two months ago I received a brochure in the mail from one of the local high schools about adult education classes offered in the evening. I usually thumb through it to see if there are any interesting courses, but usually don’t end up taking any. Always for the same reasons noted above. Somehow, this time it was different. I got to the music section and the very first course was “Beginning Guitar”. Better yet, 10 sessions for $99 dollars. Too good to be true. The class size was limited to 12 so I immediately asked Liz if she would join me and we could take it together. She had no desire and said no, but my older son, Andrew, said he’d like to take it with me. Seizing the opportunity, I signed both of us up.

But wait, now we needed guitars. Easy. A quick visit on line to Amazon and I found a suitable guitar. Checking a number of other websites I confirmed that it was a good choice for beginners, and a quick push of the “Proceed to checkout” button sent the two Fender Starcasters on their way.

We’ve now had five lessons, and I’m making some progress. We’ve learned all six strings, my fingers are developing the mandatory callouses, and I’m able to pick the notes to a few songs. I can play “Aura Lee”, “Buffalo Gals” and “Michael Row the Boat Ashore”. Better still, they almost sound like the songs.

The classes are pretty interesting. We started with 11 people, now we’re down to 7. The teacher predicts that by about the 7th or 8th lesson there will only be 3 or 4 of us left. He says he’s speaking from experience. I think he’s wrong. The people in the class are mostly middle aged or older. My son Andrew, at 25, is the youngest. I guess young people take private lessons. All of the people seem to really want to learn to play. One woman has a guitar that she bought 35 years ago intending to learn to play, but never did. The teacher is in his late 50s and has been playing guitar for 43 years. He plays very well.

I practice every night for about an hour, and I’m getting better every day. I’ve learned to read music, or at least I’m learning, and my fingers are starting to get a little faster. Most times I hit the right note, sometimes I don’t. My younger son Adam tells me that I’m trying to find my “inner Springsteen”. Bruce doesn’t have to worry though, at least not for the next few weeks. I’ve a long way to go.

Anyway, I’m having a whole lot of fun with this. I hope I get better. It’s not rocket science, at least at my level it isn’t. It’s just practice, practice and more practice.

Do any of you play musical instruments? Any hints on how to get better?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Do not play anything so I cannot offer tips. I do however want to say YAY and Great for YOU! Wonderful, Rob.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Good for you...I'm looking at an electric guitar I bought for the +1 a couple of years ago. He played it a bit, but hasn't recently. I play the piano, but not well anymore. Took lessons for years when I was younger. Yep, practice makes perfect is really true.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played clarinet in my junior high school band and then oboe and clarinet in high school. Intended to be a music major in college but found that music students and the program allowed for little else in my life. I guess my high school band experience was like being in a social club and playing music too. Just wasn't the same in college. I no longer play any instruments but do enjoy music tremendously.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been playing percussion since the 6th grade and will always be a drummer at heart. I started messing around with guitar in some of the bands I was in during my 20s and just in the past few years, I've picked it up again. It sounds like you and Andrew are having a good time and you are learning something that you can use the rest of your lives.

One of my favorite things to do is to sit on our deck and just play whatever strikes me. Sometimes it's beautiful and sometimes it's horrible, but it's mine.

As you are discovering, only practice will make you better. One thing I have learned along the way is to practice a new chord, lick or song slowly. Do it slow and the speed will come. It is much better to play it slowly and correctly, than to try to play it at the correct speed, but performing it incorrectly.

You might check this site out: http://www.justinguitar.com/

He has lots of beginner songs, tutorials on tuning to changing your strings and a really good section on aural training. He doesn't charge, but accepts donations on PayPal to keep the site free.

Let me know how you and Andrew come along!

Justin
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I took piano lessons when in grade school. I can still read music, which is the best part of all those lessons, even if I would be nearly starting over if I sat down in front of a piano. Then I played the trumpet, was #1 seat in high school band, but gave it up after H.S. I have picked at a guitar, but I lent it to my friend years ago who died before he gave it back, and some nephew grabbed it. So long.
I also have a electric keyboard, but haven't touched it for 2 years. I play the radio as well as anybody though.
Maybe after retirement I'll pick up the keyboard, guitar or harmonica and get better at it. A harmonica is REALLY easy to carry with you, don't you think?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought I'd give the piano a try as I have one in the house. Barbara gave me a few minutes of basics and I sat down and practiced for a bit. I did it long enough to gain a vision of what I would have to do to be good enough to read the music and play the notes. That vision persuaded me to disassemble fishing reels when I had any free time on my hands. I'm off to Bucko's bait and tackle to buy some parts for the Shimano Baitrunner I bought at a yard sale two weeks ago. Maybe when we are old and retired I'll swing by your house in the evening, Rob and work on a fishing reel on your patio table while you pick out House of the Rising Sun.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 AM

Thank you everybody. I'm having a lot of fun with this. Practice, practice and more practice, but I am getting better. I can now pick out a few songs. Next I'm going to learn chords. They seem frightening but I've been told that it's just a matter of more practice.

Justin, you are absolutely right and I am doing just as you said. I'm practicing to get the music right and I'll worry about the speed later. Thanks for the website.

I'm on my way to my local "Music Den" in a few minutes. I broke a string and I want to buy a replacement. Then, with Liz at work all day, I'm going to spend an hour or two practicing.

They say that I won't last too long on Broadway,
I'll take a Greyhound bus for home they all say,
But oh, oh, they're wrong, I know they are,
Cause I can play this here guitar,
And I won't quit till I'm a star,
On Broadway.

(With all due respect and apologies to Barry Mann, Cynthia Weill, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller, and Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters).
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I thought I'd give the piano a try as I have one in the house. Barbara gave me a few minutes of basics and I sat down and practiced for a bit. I did it long enough to gain a vision of what I would have to do to be good enough to read the music and play the notes. That vision persuaded me to disassemble fishing reels when I had any free time on my hands. I'm off to Bucko's bait and tackle to buy some parts for the Shimano Baitrunner I bought at a yard sale two weeks ago. Maybe when we are old and retired I'll swing by your house in the evening, Rob and work on a fishing reel on your patio table while you pick out House of the Rising Sun.
Sounds like a plan Bill. We should invite everyone in Vintage and have a "sing along". Actually, "House of the Rising Sun" is one of the two songs that I want to learn in the next few months. "The Weight" is the other.

I've just learned to pick the notes to "Buffalo Gals". It's an interesting song. I always thought that it was a country song. We learned it in elementary school. It turns out that the men digging the Erie Canal, in the early 1800s in Buffalo, New York used to sing this in the evenings to get the local prostitutes to come out. See what you can learn in music class!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 3,031 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I'm proud of you, Rob, if that makes any sense, for going after this long time desire. I'm glad you're enjoying it and that your son joined you.

I had at least five friends in grammar school who were excellent piano players and I loved it when they'd come to my house and play on my mom's organ. I decided I wanted to learn how to play, about 20 years ago so I rented a piano and signed up for a class at the local Jr College. I quit after the first class. I decided I have the muscles for gross motor skills but not the ones for fine motor skills, like typing and piano. I wasn't interested enough to put out the effort. I ended up continuing with my watercolor classes instead.

If I had the gumption, I would take drum lessons.

Quick Reply: Guitar Lessons