S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Health care after retirement

Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used Social Security benefits with additional gap coverage using Kaiser Permanente's supplemental insurance. The cost...about $150/mo that covers wellness checks, urgent care, prescriptions, and hospitalization costs. We sometimes need to pay an acceptable charge for urgent care, prescriptions and hospitalization.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I was fortunate that my employer provided retirement health care coverage when I left at age 60. These days that's all changed; in fact, next year we have to shop for a plan for the first time ever. I can't image not having some coverage. The wife recently had two tests done at the Univ of Mich and the bill was $7k; our cost less than two hundred.... but it was Medicare that paid it; our company coverage paid twenty dollars!!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I was fortunate that my employer provided retirement health care coverage when I left at age 60. These days that's all changed; in fact, next year we have to shop for a plan for the first time ever. I can't image not having some coverage. The wife recently had two tests done at the Univ of Mich and the bill was $7k; our cost less than two hundred.... but it was Medicare that paid it; our company coverage paid twenty dollars!!
We are not in the situation yet since my husband still wants to keep working. So, we are still covered by his employee health insurance. We do have Medicare Part A, because we were required to have that once he started collecting Social Security. However, his employee health insurance is still the primary one since he is still working.

However, once he retires, he will be required by his company to have Medicare Part B. Then Medicare will be primary and his retiree health insurance will be secondary. Well...I guess you could say that he won't really be "required" to have Medicare Part B, but if he doesn't have Medicare, his retiree insurance would still only cover what they would cover if they were the secondary insurance. So, of course, it doesn't make any sense not to have Medicare Part B.

I think that is probably how most companies handle it. That once you retire, you are covered by Medicare as primary and the retiree insurance is secondary.
The following users liked this post:
S1997 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue

I think that is probably how most companies handle it. That once you retire, you are covered by Medicare as primary and the retiree insurance is secondary.
It is for me.
Levi
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
It is for me.
Levi
I think that it is probably pretty standard that way.

Retiree Insurance and Medicare
Old 07-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Move to Québec,it’s free...
Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I think that it is probably pretty standard that way.

Retiree Insurance and Medicare
My Military retirement health insurance works just the opposite -- it pays first, then Medicare is secondary. So far, not much to complain about, especially since I am no longer charged for the coverage (other than for Medicare Part B).
Old 07-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Something to consider for major work (hips, knees, eyes, cardiac, etc) is spending 10% of the cost and have it done in Thailand. (Bangkok) I know it sounds goofy at first blush but I can tell you I have spoken with many, many people who have done just that. I fly them there myself!
Thailand is a first class destination for medical care. One of the best places in the world. Again, the cost is 10% of what it is in the States.
Cos, I found your post interesting and passed it on to a doctor friend who has done a lot of traveling around the world as well. I thought I share his reply.......

"I don’t know personally of anyone who has done this, although I have also heard reports that the care is excellent and surgeons well trained. BUT, even if you were just going to the Cleveland Clinic or U. of M. at Ann Arbor for surgical care, I can tell you sleeping in your own home with your family and friends around you to help out is worth a lot. I have been at Cleveland and Ann Arbor for major surgeries on my wife and my brother in the past, and being in a ’strange’ city just adds one more level of stress to the whole situation. Especially if there are complications (there were each time) and your stay ends up being a week or more (it did). That said, American health care prices are certainly not as low as they should/could be in my (and most people’s) opinion. If I had to pay full cash price for my surgery (ie, no insurance) I suppose I might consider going overseas as well. Hopefully though I’ll live the rest of my days with the original parts intact and die peacefully in bed after making wild and crazy love to a beautiful 25 year old women. Or not…."
Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Tricare is primary until age 65 after which it becomes Tricare For Life and secondary to Medicare. You must sign up for Medicare to retain Tricare secondary coverage. The change is transparent, Medicate bills Tricare.

Health insurance is mandated, of course (thank, you, Congress), but the deductible level isn't. Insurance is a form of gambling. You're betting the insurance company you're gonna have a lot or few claims and the bet (called a premium) is based on this. But even catastrophic conditions have capped out of pocket limits. Problem is most folks seem to have always had very low deductible plans and aren't used to out of pocket or co-pay costs. A pocket calculator and 15 minutes of premium vs risk analysis will let you choose the deductible level you need. If you're healthy who cares if there's high deductible, you're not gonna use it. The reverse applies.

-- Chuck
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Cos, I found your post interesting and passed it on to a doctor friend who has done a lot of traveling around the world as well. I thought I share his reply.......

"I don’t know personally of anyone who has done this, although I have also heard reports that the care is excellent and surgeons well trained. BUT, even if you were just going to the Cleveland Clinic or U. of M. at Ann Arbor for surgical care, I can tell you sleeping in your own home with your family and friends around you to help out is worth a lot. I have been at Cleveland and Ann Arbor for major surgeries on my wife and my brother in the past, and being in a ’strange’ city just adds one more level of stress to the whole situation. Especially if there are complications (there were each time) and your stay ends up being a week or more (it did). That said, American health care prices are certainly not as low as they should/could be in my (and most people’s) opinion. If I had to pay full cash price for my surgery (ie, no insurance) I suppose I might consider going overseas as well. Hopefully though I’ll live the rest of my days with the original parts intact and die peacefully in bed after making wild and crazy love to a beautiful 25 year old women. Or not…."
Even though I live in the land of fruits and nuts out west, my cardiologist is at the U of M in Ann Arbor. #1 surgeon there. My condition is stable but, but, I asked him if the after care with families (as your doctor friend mentioned above) was as important as the surgeon. In other words was it better for me to get him to do the surgery there or have it done at Stanford? His reply was the quality of the surgeon is paramount. You want to get someone who not only uses the best techniques, but does a bazillion of them.

BTW, without my reading glasses on, my wife of 35 years looks just like the 25 year old gal I first met and got married to!

Quick Reply: Health care after retirement