S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hey hey we're the Monkeys!

Old 01-29-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Hey hey we're the Monkeys!

Remember them? They were big when I was in the 6th grade. A creation of the network that aired their show, wrote their songs, sold their records... Anyway, I got one of their songs stuck in my head tonight, it is probably my favorite Monkey's song; Daydream Believer. For some reason I had a senior moment and couldn't remeber the opening lyrics. So I googled the title and came up with a web site that has a list of lyrics that fans "thought" they heard when listening to the song. It was very funny. If you know the song, look at the actual lyrics and see if you made any of the same mistakes.

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/son...believer.shtml
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Yes, I was a fan back then and in my high school years actually worn a hat like the one that Michael Nesbit wore.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,043 Posts

I remember the Monkees also and their G.T.O. It was a Barris design IIRC.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:01 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Adam recently discovered the Monkees, so we now proudly own "The Best of the Monkees" CD. Actually, some of the songs have aged pretty well. I bet they could've made some real good music if they weren't shackled by the network.

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
See us monkeein around,
We're too busy singing,
To put anybody down.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Another Pleasant Valley Sunday,
Here in status-symbol land..."
Old 01-30-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Jan 30 2005, 08:01 AM
Adam recently discovered the Monkees, so we now proudly own "The Best of the Monkees" CD. Actually, some of the songs have aged pretty well. I bet they could've made some real good music if they weren't shackled by the network.

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
See us monkeein around,
We're too busy singing,
To put anybody down.
I may have this wrong, but weren't they (the band, that is) just a creation of the network for the show?

In any case, the few hits of theirs that I remember have survived the test of time. I didn't grow up with much in the way of popular music, but we definitely had a Monkees album in our house as well as Dave Clark 5 and Beatles.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:54 AM

[quote name='Chazmo' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:51 AM'] I may have this wrong, but weren't they (the band, that is) just a creation of the network for the show?

In any case, the few hits of theirs that I remember have survived the test of time.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:51 AM
I may have this wrong, but weren't they (the band, that is) just a creation of the network for the show?

In any case, the few hits of theirs that I remember have survived the test of time. I didn't grow up with much in the way of popular music, but we definitely had a Monkees album in our house as well as Dave Clark 5 and Beatles.
Yup. Check my first post. They were a network creation designed to cash in on the popularity of the Beatles. It worked.

Mike Nesmith is now a very wealthy man. As I understand it, his mother is credited with the invention of white-out liquid paper (urban legend?) and Mike is a music producer credited with the creation of the music video concept (from his days on the Monkees?) and some ownership/involvment with MTV. I have only heard these things third hand, so who knows if they are true.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:56 AM
Yup. Check my first post. They were a network creation designed to cash in on the popularity of the Beatles. It worked.

Mike Nesmith is now a very wealthy man. As I understand it, his mother is credited with the invention of white-out liquid paper (urban legend?) and Mike is a music producer credited with the creation of the music video concept (from his days on the Monkees?) and some ownership/involvment with MTV. I have only heard these things third hand, so who knows if they are true.
I think Nesmith also wrote a few songs that were big sellers when recorded by others.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:48 AM
"Another Pleasant Valley Sunday,
Here in status-symbol land..."
Ed, I'm sorry to say that "Some things never change....here in the US of A"

Has anyone else ever seen the documentary movie "Affluenza" ....came out about 5 years ago

Quick Reply: Hey hey we're the Monkeys!