S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Heyitsgary's kitchen remodel... Finally

Old 03-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Heyitsgary's kitchen remodel... Finally

So- The materials are finally in. We got the call that they are supposed to be here Tuesday to start work. Estimate is 3.5 to 4 weeks. However, there are some things not in the estimate that we're going to ask them to do. Paint is one thing and moving some outlets/lights is another. Just makes sense to have them do the work rather than try to arrange for another contractor to align schedules. We expect this to set us back a few days or so.

So, here's the basic layout, along with the mess it was when being used.

The working part of the kitchen. About 12" above the cabinets for that extra storage everyone needs.

Starting to organize and pack a little. Note the bakers rack and bookshelf?

Not visible in the other view. Stupid pantry. Narrow door and 4 total shelves from the floor to the top. This is being removed in favor of a matching cabinet/pantry.

Just a few things left for the next day or so.

Empty! The blue lines are to mark out some new things going along that wall. That table was a wedding gift from my aunt and uncle... TO MY PARENTS!!! in 1960! I don't think it owes the family anything and was just low on the list of things to replace. Bye bye table!
Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

I will be very interested in seeing the finished kitchen because we are just starting to plan for a major kitchen remodel.

Are you changing the layout of anything or will everything, such as stove, sink, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc, remain in the same place.

Looks like someone likes to make chocolate chip cookies.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Basic layout the same. I think the stove is moving 3 or 6" to accommodate the cabinet changes. The refrigerator is moving 3" to the right. We have about 18" from the fridge to the back door. We originally thought about putting a small cabinet there, BUT, the AC vent is on the floor and it would mean part of it would be under the cabinet and part would be outside the cabinet. If it were all under the cabinet, it would be easy, but since it was 1/2 and 1/2, we chose to just move the fridge, add a little more the cabinets going on the right wall and keep a traditional garbage can where it currently is.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 4,949 Likes on 3,002 Posts

Will be watching.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Will be nice to see this. Brings back memories of my own kitchen - can't believe it's been 11 years since I did mine (as some of you know from my thread on the subject). I still really like it. Good luck! I agree on the cabinets. Can't have too much cabinet space. If you can, put in some that have racks. I love mine. They roll out and it's so easy to get to things like cans and spices.

Last edited by MsPerky; 03-05-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:57 AM

Something like this. This is the built-in pantry unit I have. Not enough space for a separate room.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 AM

Deb-

Our pantry will be a little simpler. 4 or 5 rollouts on the bottom, and just a 2 large shelves on top (serving pieces, stock pots, etc...)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

My in-laws had that same crappy "pantry" closet.
Deep and narrow, I think some of the cans back there were in a federal protection program.
'they just disappeared.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 AM

^ I did spend a lot, but it was worth it to me since we are planning to be here for the duration.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Deb-

Our pantry will be a little simpler. 4 or 5 rollouts on the bottom, and just a 2 large shelves on top (serving pieces, stock pots, etc...)
Our kitchen is a decent size with dining area . We don't have a separate dining room. We have the pantry type cabinets with roll out shelves on the bottom on each side of the refrigerator. Our cabinets also go all the way up to the ceiling with crown molding. The taller cabinets provides extra storage and less dusting required. Of course, whatever is on those top shelves is rarely used. My photo bucket pics no longer link.

I'm still happy with the kitchen. Ours was done about 11 years ago. I had a budget and stuck with it. However, I wish I had given more thought to the back splash and gone with something more modern, and possibly should have increased the budget for the countertop. I ended up about 10% over budget which was what I expected.

Good luck with the renovation. Will be watching for progress pictures.

Quick Reply: Heyitsgary's kitchen remodel... Finally