S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hobbies

Old 10-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbies

Now that my work hours are going to be greatly reduced, or possibly eliminated altogether, I'm looking for things I can do to pass the time that don't require a great deal of physical exertion. Also, I am not a joiner. I belong to one cultural/ethnic/historical organization, but have little interest in joining any other groups or clubs. Another limitation is the high probability that whatever I do will have to be done while using supplemental O2.

Two hobbies that hold some interest for me are fishing and keeping marine aquaria. There are a number of lakes (more like ponds, actually) at The a Villages where I could catch and release to my heart's content. And now that I'm going to have a second bedroom in the new house that Rori says I can use for anything I like (in addition to using it as my office, I've thought of setting up a good sized marine reef aquarium in there. My main concern regarding this is the initial expense of the equipment and setting it all up, which can be quite substantial.
Does anyone have any suggestion or ideas regarding hobbies for us Vintage types, that don't involve golf, other sports, dancing, etc.? I'm interested in more sedate activities, but not to the extreme of knitting, crocheting, card/game playing, or becoming a couch potato.

On a slightly related note, as some of you know, I've been involved in home audio/home theater for quite some time. Unfortunately, there isn't room to set up all my audio equipment in the new house, so I'm looking to simplify and downsize. Anyone interested in a set of five custom , handmade speakers with a matching 1000w, self-powered subwoofer, by any chance? I even have some nice stands, I'll thrown in. I paid close to $6000 for the speakers and sub. I'm looking to unload it all for $1900. I already have my eye on a smaller, simpler, and less expensive setup costing $1900, as coincidence would.have it.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 AM

I'd go with fishing since gator wrangling is probably not an option.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19
I'd go with fishing since gator wrangling is probably not an option.
It might be if the gator was a heavy smoker.

One thing thing I don't like about Florida, regarding fishing, is my inability to fly fish here. I loved it growing up in Maine, but can't do any wading here because of the gators. And buying and storing a boat aren't options for me.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Standing invitation, Dean. Colorado has fantastic trout fishing all over the state (except over towards Kansas). Have tackle; will travel.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Digital photography, marksmanship, artwork, fishing and playing a musical instrument are a few of the more sedate hobbies that come to mind, and all can be done at a reasonable cost (well…if you have some restraint).

gary

*edit*
I've recently taken up RC aircraft. It's a blast.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Photography and making stained glass suit me.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Another vote for . You can ride around in your Mini and if something catches your eye grab a few get up early, catch a sunrise, catch a sunset.

Bird watching??

Volunteer at local school? Maybe tutor some kid in science? Seriously you have knowledge to share.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a couple pf suggestions, with your love of fishing maybe fly tying would be an option. My other idea would be to check out De Agostini models, these are far cry from your average cheap plastic models, and come in a variety of subject matters and intricacies.

http://www.model-space.com/us/
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 705 Likes on 432 Posts

Dean, I often think how much I'd enjoy a nice creative hobby but have yet to zero in on something that really captivates me. The aquarium project sounds wonderful. I had aquariums many years ago and was able to keep the lovely fish alive for many years. It is challenging to achieve a good balance and create the perfect environment. I'd vote for the aquarium as I'm sure with your knowledge of marine life you'd be great at it. It is so soothing and pleasant to watch the fish, etc.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Sailing! Depending on the type of craft, this can be vigorous or relaxing, accomplished on your own or with one to a few friends. Lessons are not too expensive, nor are rentals for some small craft. Here's one I can recommend (see the 'ease of use' paragraph):

http://www.windrider...ssible-sailing/

Also, I've been collecting a home theater system over the years, and have finally gotten it together not too long ago.

Quick Reply: Hobbies