S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hobbies

Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Somehow I can see your character type doing Scrimshaw.

Well aside from the fact that it allows you the use of sharp pointy objects....
and other than the need for artistic talent that is....
and the patience part.

other than that it would be perfect.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Skip the aquarium. When I retire i plan on taking $5 a day and sit at the local strip joint. That's entertainment!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Skip the aquarium. When I retire i plan on taking $5 a day and sit at the local strip joint. That's entertainment!
Right. I'm sure Patty's fine with that. Good thing she doesn't go on S2ki, right?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I got my mother three jigsaw puzzles, but the pieces were too small. So I got her a couple of the larger piece ones and did the three myself. I enjoyed it so ordered some more. The one I'm doing now is really hard. Fun though.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Start the aquarium hobby with used equipment to save some serious $$. You will have to be patient while looking and then be ready to move fast for good stuff.

I like hobbies that could make money, or at least break even. I love to fish so I plan to take people fishing on my boat when I retire. Lately, I have found that I enjoy taking apart fishing reels and fixing or just maintaining them. It is not as delicate as watch repair, or labor intensive as car maintenance, but still very interesting and rewarding, for me anyway. When I retire, I'll probably drive around to yard sales, pick up used fishing equipment, clean it up and sell it on Craigs List. Once I know what I'm doing, I might do it for others.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you considered something like stained glass. I did it for a while. It has that sense of accomplishment as a piece comes together and is somewhere between an artform and a technical endeavor, it's a bit like woodworking. Just a thought.

On a side note, what speaker system have you decided on? Have you considered putting you speakers on Audiogon? How big/heavy are they?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planted freshwater aquarium.

Look up The Barr Report by Tom Barr.

He has his own forum, a freshly minted PhD in this field, and has been doing this professionally for a very long time. It's one of those classic but rare cases of a prodigy kid who latched on to a chosen field early in life and overtook almost everyone else in his level of expertise in this field later on in life.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy
Have you considered something like stained glass. I did it for a while. It has that sense of accomplishment as a piece comes together and is somewhere between an artform and a technical endeavor, it's a bit like woodworking. Just a thought.

On a side note, what speaker system have you decided on? Have you considered putting you speakers on Audiogon? How big/heavy are they?
I'm going with an Orb Audio setup, believe it or not. They're a big step down from what I have, but they still sound and measure pretty good. They beat the hell out of Blose, in any case. And it's a simple enough system that Rori can deal with it easily should something happen to me.

I'm not sure what the speakers or the sub weighs, but for some specs you can check out Salk Sound and take a look at the Song Surround II (all five of mine we're upgraded to ribbon tweeters and bamboo cabinets) and the Song Sub, which I had two made to match the SS II RTs. However, I plan to keep one of the subs to use with the OAs.
I've dealt with Audiogon before, but the snobbery of the audio-loons and snake oil peddlers there tends to grate on my nerves.

My ex did stained glass (when she wasn't busy doing everybody else ). I didn't look like anything that would appeal to me. Plus the fact I don't have an artistic or creative bone in my body, and the need to avoid inhaling any kind of fumes or smoke, eliminates that as a good pastime for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by S1997
Standing invitation, Dean. Colorado has fantastic trout fishing all over the state (except over towards Kansas). Have tackle; will travel.
Thanks, I'd love to. Will you be picking up the airfare as well?
I'm told that my days of long distance driving are over. My drive back from Maine this past summer was my last, unfortunately.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Another vote for . You can ride around in your Mini and if something catches your eye grab a few get up early, catch a sunrise, catch a sunset.

Bird watching??

Volunteer at local school? Maybe tutor some kid in science? Seriously you have knowledge to share.
Alas, I don't have your artistic bent for photography. I don't think tutoring would appeal to me either. Teaching college students is one thing, dealing with kids is entirely different. I do love kids, but my doctor tells me I have to limit my cholesterol intake.

Quick Reply: Hobbies