S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How do the pets know

Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default How do the pets know

So we're leaving town tomorrow. Our cat sitter was not available over the weekend, so the kitty had to go to kitty jail for a couple of days. The cat sitter will "spring her" on Monday.

This afternoon I fed her an early dinner, waiting for Rick to come home to take her to the kennel with me. Of course, I could not find her when it was time to go. We looked in every closet, under the couch, beds, all her usual hiding places.

She also likes to hang out in the basement. I checked down there, so did Rick. We were calling her and shaking a container of food....no cat.

Rick went back to the basement to look again. We don't spend a lot of time in the basement, so we stored a little inflatable bed on the couch. The cat had managed to hide between the edge of the couch and the inflatable "bed." She was ignoring us for sure.

I guess she saw the bags packed and knew what was in store. How do they know?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Uhh, my cats see us packing and know what is up. They love to hop in the open suitcase. Fortunately for them, they just stay home and someone stops in every few days to check the food/water and litter box.

We have to sneak the cat carriers upstairs into the bathroom though when it is time to go to the vet or they can be a bit evasive to say the least.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Our cat is "special needs." Special canned food, so we can't leave her alone. Once she is home, our cat sitter will stop by twice a day to give her fresh food.

I'd rather not leave her at the kennel, but no choice. She's in good hands. This kennel is the one the vet recommends.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Xylie knows were are leaving by many clues:
suitcase down
putting dogfood in plastic bag for kennel
putting anything of hers in the car, like rug, leash etc

She also knows if it's a weekend by the clothes we put on. The moment I put my pants on she comes in and touches them with her nose.
When I lived in the city, my first dog Jack knew it wasn't a work day because the freeway noise was gone, or quieter.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,648 Posts

My cats don't really do anything different when I'm leaving. They always stay at home. They are both 13 and Zoro is blind so they don't do much but sleep anyway.

That is funny about your cat, though, Lainey.

And I hope your trip is great without any grass on the tires.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jul 30 2010, 11:32 PM

And I hope your trip is great without any grass on the tires.
Me too, Patty, me too.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both our dogs are herding type dogs. AS a general rule, herding dogs like a lot of routine. Since I travel a couple of weeks a month, the routine changes.

One of our dogs is 14 and mostly deaf now, but he knows when I am packing, and his bit of protest is to lay down right in front of the suitcase so I have to pack "over" him.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:02 AM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Oh THEY KNOW! I subscribe to the newsletter on Catster.com which is written by a woman who has published several books on cat behavior. According to her cats are very tuned to their environments. When furniture is rearranged for example they will exhibit some anxiety. I have witnessed this personally on a few occasions- when we moved several pieces for a large holiday party at Christmas and each time we have the carpets cleaned we will move every thing we can to the hardwood areas. Annie is very uneasy until everything is back where it belongs.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

My little dog Tara notices everything. She even knows whether I'm going on a long trip or just a short way. She had her own ways of lobbying to make sure she gets included. But with a resolute, 'stay', she drops her tail and slinks away -- disappointed.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Animals are a lot more aware than most people think they are. If they see bags packed and that's associated with when you leave they'll figure it out (especially cats).

Quick Reply: How do the pets know