S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How much to insure 2004 S2000 in excellent condition?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:54 PM

Received 1,588 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
P.S. I really should look into USAA as Gene and others have mentioned. As a veteran I should qualify. On the other hand, I was also going to join the "Procrastinator's Club" but I never got around to it.
Children and spouses of vets also qualify. Both of my kids are grown and use USAA. However, their kids will loose USAA when they go independent. My father was Navy so I never knew anything other than USAA. We have had only two smaller claims (broken window and damaged hood from tree ice falling) so I don't have any experience with larger claims. I have had a few quotes from Hagarty and I think I might just do that.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:38 PM

Received 5,194 Likes on 3,112 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
For those who have Hagerty policies, does this mean you use another insurance company for your other vehicles?
Yes
Old 07-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Received 224 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Children and spouses of vets also qualify. Both of my kids are grown and use USAA. However, their kids will loose USAA when they go independent.
Not "exactly" accurate. I'm pretty sure that only former spouses can lose eligibility if they remarry. I also think that children of members do not lose eligibility and can even join after a member's death. I checked on qualification and they serve the following:

Active Duty, Guard or Reserve

Individuals who are currently serving in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, and Coast Guard.

Veterans

Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with an Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions discharge.

Eligible Family

Current spouses, widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and children whose parents joined USAA.

Cadets and Midshipmen

Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies or affiliated academy preparatory schools, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:56 PM

Received 947 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Not "exactly" accurate. I checked on qualification and they serve the following:

Active Duty, Guard or Reserve

Individuals who are currently serving in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, and Coast Guard.

Veterans

Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with an Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions discharge.

Eligible Family

Current spouses, widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and children whose parents joined USAA.

Cadets and Midshipmen

Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies or affiliated academy preparatory schools, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.
Yes, you are right! We have had this discussion before.

So, although both my father and my husband’s father served in the military, we are not eligible for USAA because neither one of our fathers joined USAA.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 05:09 PM

Received 224 Likes on 167 Posts

More detailed information on USAA membership:
https://themilitarywallet.com/usaa-m...p-eligibility/
Old 07-08-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 5,194 Likes on 3,112 Posts

FIW: USAA has never beaten my current insurance .... Auto Owners.... even when I can easily join it. So, for those who think they are missing something... look closer.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:54 AM

Received 1,477 Likes on 794 Posts

^ Decided to investigate Auto Owners. It is not licensed in my state and they only deal with independent brokers where they are licensed. I'll stick with USAA!
Old 07-09-2022, 05:32 AM

Received 1,157 Likes on 1,012 Posts

USAA has expanded their membership eligibility over the years but remains a private insurance company. Had to be an active duty or retired military officer (or cadet or officer candidate) when I joined loooooog ago.
Historically, only U.S. military officers (among certain other federally sworn officers) were eligible to join USAA, with descendants of USAA members able to purchase insurance from USAA-CIC. It did not matter if one was an active duty or retired officer; one could join at any time. In 1973, membership was opened to members of the National Guard and Reserves, and in 1996, eligibility was expanded to enlisted members of the armed services. As the number of persons who have served on active duty in an enlisted status in the U.S. Armed Forces is quite large, USAA chose to limit the establishment of eligibility to those who were currently on active duty or who had recently separated. The same time limit on establishment of eligibility was then applied to military officers. In 2008, USAA expanded membership eligibility to all military personnel and retirees, and all veterans who separated after 1996. For a short time, USAA also offered enrollment for federal law enforcement.[27] In November 2009, USAA expanded eligibility requirements to offer coverage to anyone who has ever served honorably in the US Military.
Can you beat USAA rates? Maybe if you look hard enough and it may depend on what State you're in since this is a State not Federal jurisdiction.

-- Chuck
Old 07-09-2022, 05:37 AM

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yep, I’m one of those very long time members, also. Joined as a dependent with USAA-CIC.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using USAA for the daily drivers. Cheaper than USAA, easy to find. When you need to lean on your insurance, USAA customer service is top notch.

Also use Hagerty for the s2's and CRX, very pleased though I've never had to make a claim.

Quick Reply: How much to insure 2004 S2000 in excellent condition?