S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I should have written a vampire story

Old 12-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I should have written a vampire story

If you're like me, you wonder from time to time if there was an easier way to make a living. Lately, I think I should have written a vampire story. It strikes me that everything about vampires sells like hot cakes. Between books, movies and TV shows, I can't remember a time in my life that there was not some big seller out there about vampires.

You would have thought Dracula would have been the beginning and end of it, especially with all the really bad Dracula movies they made in the 60s. But look how much there is in recent pop culture about the undead who drink blood. You have the Anne Rice series of books and movies, the Buffy the Vampire movie that became a TV show that spun off other TV shows about vampires. You have the Twilight books that became movies about teen-age vampire love. Now you have a TV version of almost the same story called Vampire Diaries. There's also a series of books titled Circque de Freak about vampires that was the basis for the movie The Vampire's Assistant that came out this year.

From the 50s to the present there have been non-stop vampire based pop culture dynasties. Along the way we had movies like The Lost Boys, Blackula, Nosforantu, and Van Helsing. Plus comedies on the subject like The Munsters, Dead and Loving it and something with Leslie Neilson that I can't remember the name of. And all that is just the crap I can think of sitting here at the moment. Every time I think this genre is played out, someone comes out with a new vampire story and sells a million copies or a billion tickets to see it.

I'm thinking it's never too late for this story line. Maybe this can be my retirement gig. I think I'll title my first book "They Call Me Dracula." With my luck, someone already wrote it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 AM

And after I worte this, I remembered the whole Blade comic book empire and movie trilogy and the recent Underworld movie trilogy. This stuff is a non-stop gold mine I tell ya.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,685 Posts

You won't get rich off me. I don't reach/watch that stuff.

However, I know where you are coming from. That stuff is all over the place.

As a teen, the soap opera Dark Shadows was a favorite, with Barnabas, the vampire.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I'm with Lainey - I pay very little attention to vampire stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 AM

I don't care at all who watches it. The point is, there are a ton of people who do. And they pay for it.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Dec 15 2010, 09:32 AM
You won't get rich off me. I don't reach/watch that stuff.

However, I know where you are coming from. That stuff is all over the place.

As a teen, the soap opera Dark Shadows was a favorite, with Barnabas, the vampire.
I forgot all about that crap.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 15 2010, 10:06 AM
I forgot all about that crap.

Appeal to the teen audience. They seem to have plenty of money to spend on this stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Exactly. I got hooked on the vampire stuff with the original Dracula movie with Bella Lagosi (sp?) when I was five years old. I still have fond memories of watching Abbott and Costello meet Dracula which brought together Lagosi and Lon Chaney Jr. in his role as the wolfman. Kids love this stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

The Cullen's are

They drive Volvo hatches and live in a beautiful house. No wonder they have hordes of tween Twi-hards after them.

I think a car-loving vampire story would be cool
Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 15 2010, 11:11 AM
Exactly. I got hooked on the vampire stuff with the original Dracula movie with Bella Lagosi (sp?) when I was five years old. I still have fond memories of watching Abbott and Costello meet Dracula which brought together Lagosi and Lon Chaney Jr. in his role as the wolfman. Kids love this stuff.
Pedant alert: Bela Lugosi.

I remember all those movies being shown on the "Creature Double Feature" on Saturday nights. The only movie to ever succeed in giving me the creeps when I was a kid was the original version of "The Fly". The human-fly recombination caught in the spider's web at the end of the movie in particular.

Quick Reply: I should have written a vampire story