S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

i think my nephews have a guardian angel

Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts
Default i think my nephews have a guardian angel

One of my nephews currently works in Strasbourg France.
The city was in lockdown tonight after a mass shooting
The shooting occurred in front of his old apartment.
Several years ago the same nephew lived in the santa barbara area and had just left the area of another mass shooting there.

His younger brother was very good friends with Jeff Beauman who lost both legs at the marathon.
Mike was standing across the street from Jeff and didn't know he was there.
Had he known he would have been across the street with him.

did you ever wonder how many woulda coulda shoulda moments happen every day but you narrowly miss and never know?

Old 12-12-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

When you're number is up, it's up. Glad to her your nephew remains safe, hope is number isn't up for a longgggggggggg time.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
did you ever wonder how many woulda coulda shoulda moments happen every day but you narrowly miss and never know?
Six of us were fraternity brothers, graduated from college together, same major, lived in three apartments in the same building in Inglewood together. We all wanted to be Air Force pilots. I got drafted. My dad's partner in the LAPD was a general in the Air Force Reserve and a B52 pilot at March AFB. He got my AF induction orders backdated and all six of us went to basic training together, skipped officer training school because we all had two years of Air Force ROTC in college, went through flight school together, and got assigned to the same squadron of F4 Phantoms together. After an unexpectedly long hiatus, we got our orders to ship out to Ton Son Nut Air Base, Vietnam. Three days before we were to ship out, I was playing baseball one Saturday, was catcher standing too close to home plate, and got hit in the eye with a baseball bat. There went my 20-20 vision and my flight assignment. I joined the Air Force Reserve. My five buddies shipped out to Vietnam. Within a year, three of the five were shot down and killed.

That summer my dad's partner, the B52 pilot, flew from March AFB to Udon Air Base, Thailand in a B52, one of March 's entire bomber wing of B52s cycling to Udon from March AFB to Udon for duty in Southeast Asia. I flew with him. I flew back to March AFB with him on another B52 cycling back to the US. We flew from Thailand to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska to refuel, and on to March AFB. We landed at March, I got off, and the B52, all eight turbines firing (something about a training mission), took off again. It crashed and burned in Sunnymead, three miles to the east. I heard the crash and felt the concussion standing on the flight line tarmac.

Last edited by The Raptor; 12-12-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Holy crap/ Lucky guy. Did you hear the reason for the B52 crash?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

I did a Google search and found the report of the crash, but no cause noted. March Air Force Base, CA Air Force B-52 Crash, Oct 1978 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods
Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Raptor, do you know, since you were on the inside?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Raptor, do you know, since you were on the inside?
No, I never found out. My dad was going crazy. He wanted to find out about his LAPD partner, but the Air Force drew an immediate, tight cordon around the crash site. I suspect nukes were involved.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Six of us were fraternity brothers, graduated from college together, same major, lived in three apartments in the same building in Inglewood together. We all wanted to be Air Force pilots. I got drafted. My dad's partner in the LAPD was a general in the Air Force Reserve and a B52 pilot at March AFB. He got my AF induction orders backdated and all six of us went to basic training together, skipped officer training school because we all had two years of Air Force ROTC in college, went through flight school together, and got assigned to the same squadron of F4 Phantoms together. After an unexpectedly long hiatus, we got our orders to ship out to Ton Son Nut Air Base, Vietnam. Three days before we were to ship out, I was playing baseball one Saturday, was catcher standing too close to home plate, and got hit in the eye with a baseball bat. There went my 20-20 vision and my flight assignment. I joined the Air Force Reserve. My five buddies shipped out to Vietnam. Within a year, three of the five were shot down and killed.

That summer my dad's partner, the B52 pilot, flew from March AFB to Udon Air Base, Thailand in a B52, one of March 's entire bomber wing of B52s cycling to Udon from March AFB to Udon for duty in Southeast Asia. I flew with him. I flew back to March AFB with him on another B52 cycling back to the US. We flew from Thailand to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska to refuel, and on to March AFB. We landed at March, I got off, and the B52, all eight turbines firing (something about a training mission), took off again. It crashed and burned in Sunnymead, three miles to the east. I heard the crash and felt the concussion standing on the flight line tarmac.
You are a lucky man, start playing the powerball. Sorry to hear of these tragedies.