S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

i wish i coulda

Old 10-14-2023, 04:28 PM

Received 3,549 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I asked my wife to work with me and she said we have been happily married for 56 years so let’s keep it going.
My wife worked for me once. She didn't look back fondly on the experience and said I was an A-hole to work for.
Apparently I push people a lot. I don't think so, I just want them to keep up with me.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (10-15-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 05:27 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I've never been ambitious. I just floated along with no big goals. I was very unhappy and didn't have friends in high school. I was surprised when I actually got a BS. I just kept going to school to avoid working at McDonald's or cleaning in a hospital, which I did. I wanted to be a teacher until I found out how poorly they were paid so I just decided to get my BS in Physics and see what job I could find, after thinking that was a better major than math, which is what I started with. I loved Physics because it was math with a reason or application, instead of the foreign language that math turned into the higher the class level. I always wondered what kind of job I could have gotten if I stayed with math. Anyway, I got a job (1981) that I liked with General Dynamics/Convair Division on the flight test team for Tomahawk cruisemissiles, in Sad Diego. I assembled reports after a flight test and looked at data during one. It worked out paying my bills. I never wanted to get married or have kids. I did get married and then wanted kids. I quit working in 1987 and stayed home to raise my kids. I loved that job. I liked being a homemaker. I'm proud of how my daughter and son have turned out. I don't use my brain as much as I would like to but that's fixable. I do enjoy volunteering since I get to take off when I want to but I get to help people on a regular basis.
That all sounds pretty darn good to me, well done. My wife developed health issues a number of years ago and we decided that she would stay home and raise our son as her "next " job. She has done that very well and I am glad she could do that. Stay at home moms do so much work that you never realize. She now wants to work with me, I will let her help me from time to time but I don't think we would ever work together on a daily basis.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (10-15-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 04:10 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Don’t think I would have done anything differently. Started out after college translating French and Russian for a gov’t contractor. Then moved on to writing and editing a technical newsletter for the FAA and NASA. Got a Master’s in Info Management and moved into a fed gov’t job. Did some programming and system’s analysis and managed a fairly large statistical database for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Moved into computer security for the agency. After working continuously since high school, decided I was ready to quit. So after 50 years I did! Worked a couple of years from home editing computer security docs, then called it a career. Been a happy domestic goddess since.

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-15-2023 at 04:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MsPerky:
dlq04 (10-15-2023), Kyras (10-15-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 08:05 AM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That all sounds pretty darn good to me, well done. My wife developed health issues a number of years ago and we decided that she would stay home and raise our son as her "next " job. She has done that very well and I am glad she could do that. Stay at home moms do so much work that you never realize. She now wants to work with me, I will let her help me from time to time but I don't think we would ever work together on a daily basis.
I realize now that being a caring mom at home is very important. I used to get angry when my ex's family would ask me, "So what do you do all day?" They all worked and thought I was a slacker for being a homemaker.

My kids give me cards now on Mother's Day thanking me for always supporting them. They both have expressed their disappointment that their dad was always putting them off because he had work, in his home office. He didn't respect my contribution to us all, either. I chose to marry him after dating off and on for ten years. I knew he was driven from day one. I can't blame him for being work focused since he always was.

Last edited by Kyras; 10-15-2023 at 08:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kyras:
MsPerky (10-15-2023), windhund116 (10-15-2023), zeroptzero (10-15-2023)