S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Indy 500 for 2019

Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 AM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts
Default Indy 500 for 2019

Alonso will be watching it on tv. Embarsement for McLaren's incompetence - - beaten by one of the smallest teams in IndyCar. Hats to Alonso with the way he handled the disappointment. Young Colton Herta continues to impress everyone. What I could never figure out was where were the fans? When I regularly attended qualifying day 1 there was 100k fans. This weekend it looked like 300; we get more at a local racetrack. Any ideas? I know the weather was an issue on day 2 but not for day 1.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 285 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm hoping to attend the race in the next few years, as I give up refereeing soccer on Memorial Day weekend.

Never been to the track, but have always watched it on TV.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Alonso will be watching it on tv. Embarsement for McLaren's incompetence - - beaten by one of the smallest teams in IndyCar. Hats to Alonso with the way he handled the disappointment. Young Colton Herta continues to impress everyone. What I could never figure out was where were the fans? When I regularly attended qualifying day 1 there was 100k fans. This weekend it looked like 300; we get more at a local racetrack. Any ideas? I know the weather was an issue on day 2 but not for day 1.
A guess would be "racing fatigue". Open wheel seemed to lose a little "cachet"/influence as the France organization put NASCAR front and center everywhere. Couple that with Tony George and his splitting the the old USAC group of teams into Cart and IRL, a black eye at the time, and another contributing factor. Lastly TV coverage has gotten to the point of covering everything-all-the-time, that attending any event is "optional".

Racing is not what it once was, NASCAR tracks have started to close down entire sections of the stands, so that they look like the stands where there are spectators look fuller. And looking at prices for tickets, well it does start to add up. I do think live sporting events have grown a little too pricey. That said, I have no idea how much tickets were for qualifying, but.....

This is all just opinion and conjecture and Icould be completely wrong, and I am sure that it will not be the only time today.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I think Alonso may be one of the worst decision makers in motorsports.
I think he can have talent but he always seems to zig when he should have zagged.
Honda with Red Bull is looking good.
Ferrari seems to be resurgent now with Vettel instead of Alonso.
His spats with Hamilton at Mclaren kept him out of a seat at Mercedes.

And Dave, I think Aero killed open wheel racing.
Sure they go faster, with 3x downforce but no one can race.
The following users liked this post:
Emil St-Hilaire (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I’m watching a documentary on NBC sports right now called Drive like Andretti. It’s very interesting especially for any of you Indy fans.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I’m watching a documentary on NBC sports right now called Drive like Andretti. It’s very interesting especially for any of you Indy fans.
I got part of it. I had already scheduled to tape it later this month - - the morning of the 500 race as recall. I didn't realize they were already showing it.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

fans ? , well millennials are not likely taking to racing like the older generations, so no one to replace the older fans who have died or stopped attending races. I see the fan base of all racing shrinking fast year after year.