S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Iraq embed reporter sees/does a lot

Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

War=Evil
War=Senseless
Old 08-29-2005, 07:21 AM

You could have spoke with 3 active duty members at the DragonBall Run this weekend.

One couple who are both deployed, but got 2 weeks leave and got to run the dragon. And a Captain who is redeploying for his second tour at the end of September. The 2 I spoke with extensively Friday night agreed we need to finish the job and get the government in place and that it is so much better than when Saddam was in power!!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 AM

dean

[QUOTE]
Old 08-29-2005, 08:36 AM

I was being facetious. My point being that when it comes to expressing opinions, one needn't be a chicken to make an omelet.
As for war itself, I don't need to speak to anyone to gain any insights. I've already experienced it first hand and it was about as fact-based and pointless as this one.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 AM

Sorry Dean,

I forgot about your biting wit! And yes, it is very difficult to also say "war" and "good" in the same sentence. However, I think we've not engaged the Middle East for these many years to our own peril.

And the fact that 50 million people now live under a democracy rather than a truly evil dictator or theocracy does make the justification easy for me--I know we're safer because of it.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:32 AM

From what I understand of the new "Constitution", Iraq will have nearly all the trappings of a dressed up theocracy.
While you may feel safer, it appears that the majority do not and are beginning to question not only the handling of the matter, but just how long the fallout from this debacle is going to last.
Personally, I would have preferred to be given a choice and taken my chances with the terrorists (not that they were ever related to the Iraq issue in any meaningful way) rather than with this administration. Terrorists hold no pretensions about doing things for my own good, nor do they expect me to subsidize those pretensions through the forfeiture of my rights.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM

I guess it all depends on whether you get your information from the art critic at the NYT, or not.

Find a translation of the new Iraqi Constitution here:

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://w...Q26l6kG0Q517ljx
Old 08-29-2005, 10:17 AM

I don't read the NYT except when Rob posts a link. I've reviewed the Iraqi "Constitution" and according to the duck test, it's a dressed-up theocracy. Apparently, the Iraqis have learned very little from their own history.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Well, in the "good ole' days" they didn't have 200 civilians -- oh, sorry, barely 195 -- die every week from car bombs and similar events, so I guess you can't blame them for wanting to go back to their old ways...

Kind of like me asking to rebuild the Wall since I did not have to transfer tons of (tax) money to East Germany and was able to afford a higher standard of living back in the 80s.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:20 AM

The Iraqi constitution not only has strong references to Islam, but also has just as strong references to human rights. The proof will be in the puddin', when they actually get down to living their democracy--their success will be our success. Anyway, doesn't the queen and the prime minister pick the Arch Bishop of Canterbury? I don't hear anyone bitching about the Brits...

Ulrich,

Back in the good old Saddam day, they had hundreds of people "disappear" every month--they're still finding graves. The toll is over 300k, and counting.

As for Germany, the U.S. has been paying for Hitler since 1938, so quit your moaning. If you want to see more of your earnings, kick Schroeder out of office and realize that everyone can't take 50 days off per year and still have a vibrant economy.

Quick Reply: Iraq embed reporter sees/does a lot