S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

It's time to move on.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Dave a fair handed CO will only end up dealing with the same , just on a different day.

I repeat FOUR CO's have left because of a few people. That alone should be a wake up call.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 29 2008, 02:30 PM
But the glory and high pay makes it all worthwhile.
Don't forget the Dental plan...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Sep 29 2008, 02:22 PM
We have had four, count them FOUR CO's leave because of issues like this. ...
I count five actually. Maybe six.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Sep 29 2008, 02:32 PM
I believe the basic premise is that car clubs should be fun. So I'll give you my 2 cents.

I believe the less rules the better.

I understand where Ken is coming from, religion and politics are two topics that always bring out 'line in sand' attitudes and often hurt feelings. Still, I'd like to think the majority of the members are adult enough to post comments without making them offensive. If not close the thread!

There have been some really mean spirited comments made and they have no place in car club. As long as either side is looking for a fight or feel they are defending their honor it will continue. Lately we have seen a lot of offensive comments in a lot of threads, including offensive comments from a CO. I believe a CO should be puting out fires, not throwing more fuel on them. I would much rather see a CO lock a thread without public comment. If the CO feels they have something that must be said, say it in a PM to person who's causing the thread to locked. "Not appropriate, closed" in the public thread works fine for me. Knock down dragged out offensive comments and swearing accomplish nothing except to lower everyone's respect for those involved. If someone feels a CO is not doing the job right, report the CO and let management decide.

Even with different opinions there's no need to resort to the kind of threads we've seen lately. I'm losing count of how many threads have been locked; and all locked way, way too late IMHO.

In the end, it's treating others and you would want to be treated. Perhaps all that is needed is for more of us to speak up when things are starting to get out of hand. Never-the-less a fair-handed CO may be needed sooner rather than later to step in.
Well said.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 29 2008, 02:01 PM
That's WHY I put them on my ignore list. I don't care to know what they are saying about me. I figure I post enough that my words speak for themselves.
Nah, you know the old saying; a lie gets half way around the world before the truth puts its pants on.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 5,030 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Sep 29 2008, 02:34 PM
Dave a fair handed CO will only end up dealing with the same , just on a different day.
That may be true. That's the nature of the job. It really involves management skills and management temperment for it to work. It takes the best management skills to change a threads direction and not hurt someone's feelings. Can you please everyone? No.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=dlq04,Sep 29 2008, 03:43 PM]That may be true.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

This discussion does have some aspects of deja vu all over again, just maybe ramped up a bit. All I know is, a few people are driving the rest away. I've just gotten another PM from someone who is pulling back, at least for awhile. The CO can try to moderate, but that isn't really the role of a CO. A CO is supposed to be organizing the community and promoting it. That's why COs are not designated as Moderators on this site. And it's also why the Admins don't get too involved in how this community operates. So, in a sense, Dave's point about no rules is correct. Communities make up and administer their own.

Perhaps we should come up with some Vintage rules, post them and get peeps to vote on them, then remind them collectively when they aren't following them. One or two COs can't and shouldn't have to handle problems. It should be a group effort...that has been the case in the past in Vintage. Group encouragement and group pressure. Whadda think?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Sep 29 2008, 02:32 PM
I believe the basic premise is that car clubs should be fun. So I'll give you my 2 cents.

I believe the less rules the better.

I understand where Ken is coming from, religion and politics are two topics that always bring out 'line in sand' attitudes and often hurt feelings. Still, I'd like to think the majority of the members are adult enough to post comments without making them offensive. If not close the thread!

There have been some really mean spirited comments made and they have no place in car club. As long as either side is looking for a fight or feel they are defending their honor it will continue. Lately we have seen a lot of offensive comments in a lot of threads, including offensive comments from a CO. I believe a CO should be puting out fires, not throwing more fuel on them. I would much rather see a CO lock a thread without public comment. If the CO feels they have something that must be said, say it in a PM to person who's causing the thread to locked. "Not appropriate, closed" in the public thread works fine for me. Knock down dragged out offensive comments and swearing accomplish nothing except to lower everyone's respect for those involved. If someone feels a CO is not doing the job right, report the CO and let management decide.

Even with different opinions there's no need to resort to the kind of threads we've seen lately. I'm losing count of how many threads have been locked; and all locked way, way too late IMHO.

In the end, it's treating others and you would want to be treated. Perhaps all that is needed is for more of us to speak up when things are starting to get out of hand. Never-the-less a fair-handed CO may be needed sooner rather than later to step in.
Dave,

I think that you and I are saying much of the same things. For some reason when I say it I get attacked as being out of line, etc, etc, and when you say it people listen. That being the case, I'll let you carry the ball and maybe something constructive will get done.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 29 2008, 03:58 PM
This discussion does have some aspects of deja vu all over again, just maybe ramped up a bit. All I know is, a few people are driving the rest away. I've just gotten another PM from someone who is pulling back, at least for awhile. The CO can try to moderate, but that isn't really the role of a CO. A CO is supposed to be organizing the community and promoting it. That's why COs are not designated as Moderators on this site. And it's also why the Admins don't get too involved in how this community operates. So, in a sense, Dave's point about no rules is correct. Communities make up and administer their own.

Perhaps we should come up with some Vintage rules, post them and get peeps to vote on them, then remind them collectively when they aren't following them. One or two COs can't and shouldn't have to handle problems. It should be a group effort...that has been the case in the past in Vintage. Group encouragement and group pressure. Whadda think?
Deb, I'm not far from that point myself.

I'm really, really tired of being polite and referring to these people as a "few."

I'm going to be blunt here........Rob and Jerry want to run the show. There I said it out loud.

It seems no matter who is the CO, no one measures up to their expectations, and they do everything in their power to drive them away, while driving others away in the process.

Quick Reply: It's time to move on.