S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Joy of Small Cars

Old 09-23-2005, 03:30 AM

Received 5,098 Likes on 3,073 Posts

AUTOEXTREMIST.COM
Issue 315, September 21, 2005

For enthusiasts, it's not about MPG - it's about GPM
by Dr. Bud E. Bryan

Austin, Texas. It seems like that every other month Automobile magazine is doing a "greatest sports cars of all time" article. Not that I'm complaining, because it gives all of us a chance to make our own lists. But what if we were to make a list of the most fun contemporary sports cars, or cars, for this new fuel-efficient age we're entering?

I actually don't mind this shift toward efficiency in the American car-buying consumer's mindset. After all, I've praised the joys of driving small cars many times in this column. So, when considering a list of fun small sports cars or cars, the possibilities are almost endless.

For sports cars, I'd have to put the Honda S2000 right at the top of the list, followed by the new Mazda Miata (sorry, it's never going to be the silly "MX-5" to me) and the new Pontiac Solstice. The Honda needs no further explanation as far as I'm concerned. It's one of the sweetest, most balanced and most satisfying cars to drive that you can get your hands on. I've not driven the new Miata or the new Solstice, but I'll trust the word of Automobile's Don Sherman to know that they're both worthy to be on my list.

Even though I haven't driven it, I'd venture to guess that the new Honda Civic Si is going to be sweet too. You just know Honda isn't going to let this opportunity to deliver the goods slip through their hands. And while we're at it, the Acura RSX is damn good just the way it is, as is the Mini Cooper S, of course. I like the Chevy Cobalt SS, the Dodge SRT-4 (even though it's going away) and the Ford Focus ZX4 ST too. They're all good in their own way, and they're all fun to drive, which is exactly the point.

And now that I've gotten into this, there are several cars from several manufacturers that would fit the bill, too, from Toyota, Nissan, VW, et al, etc. - and I'm sure our readers will be glad to mention all the ones I've missed. There's one contemporary sports car on the Automobile list that I absolutely agree with, however - and that's the Lotus Elise. I couldn't imagine having more fun while getting good mileage than while driving an Elise. The car is pure driving magic.
I expect that this list of cool, fun, higher-performing small cars is going to grow exponentially as we go forward. This gas "thing" isn't going to go away. It isn't going to go anywhere, as a matter of fact. It's our new driving reality. And more rational transportation choices will rule the day, which is a very good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

But what's an even better thing is that there will always be fun cars for enthusiasts to get our hands on that still deliver excellent mileage - and as long as that's the case, we'll all have something to look forward to.
Because for us, it can never totally be about MPG, without the GPM (grins per mile) factored in.

Adios until the next time.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug, after seeing your S2000 at WG this may, and that picture of the CRX, I've got to say you keep your cars in AMAZING condition, especially considering the kind of track duty you put in.

- I like a small light car, but have nothing against something bigger - which is why I have the combo I have. The S2000 is as hard on gas on my interstate trips back to NYC as my M3. Actually, cruising at 80 it seems a bit worse. I'm pretty sure that at 80mph I'd do better in a C6!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by vroom,Sep 23 2005, 07:23 AM
Doug, after seeing your S2000 at WG this may, and that picture of the CRX, I've got to say you keep your cars in AMAZING condition, especially considering the kind of track duty you put in.
Thanks man! I will admit I work at it. Lots of washing, and after EVERY wash I at the very least go over the car with a detail spray, typically then get a fast wax. Oh, and the real secret, I don't dry my cars with a rag after washing them, I use a leaf blower.

See ya in May at SCDA.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom,Sep 23 2005, 04:23 AM
I've got to say you keep your cars in AMAZING condition
except for the floor mats
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 16 2005, 05:22 AM
Beautiful car, and far more beautiful than the '06 snub-nosed Civics I've been looking at, even the '06 Civic Coupe I looked at two days ago.

I did read here or on vtec.net that there's a CRX planned for the '07.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Sep 24 2005, 08:45 PM
Beautiful car, and far more beautiful than the '06 snub-nosed Civics I've been looking at, even the '06 Civic Coupe I looked at two days ago.

I did read here or on vtec.net that there's a CRX planned for the '07.
I've been looking at the Civics too. I'm torn between a 4 door EX 4 speed with a navi in black and an RSX-s in dark grey. I'm very impressed with the Civic.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

After a week in the new 330i, I feel very confident saying that BMW is the ultimate driving machine. I am so impressed with this car. I'm not sure when the S2000 will get road time again. This is the best stable of cars I have ever had. I just wish the Healey was running.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 5,098 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 24 2005, 10:47 PM
After a week in the new 330i, I feel very confident saying that BMW is the ultimate driving machine. I am so impressed with this car. I'm not sure when the S2000 will get road time again. This is the best stable of cars I have ever had. I just wish the Healey was running.
You're still on that new car honeymoon. You'll be back to the PURE sports car when it wears off.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:58 AM

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 24 2005, 10:47 PM
LB, give it a few more days. If you are saying it's impressive, I believe it. You and Rob are very thorough in your car research.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Bill, very happy that you're pleased with your choice. I drove a previous-gen 3 series a couple of years ago and wasn't too thrilled. But, then again, that was after driving to Maryland and spending the whole day in my S.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: The Joy of Small Cars