S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you go to work when dismissed early from jury duty?
Yes, I always do
20.00%
Sometimes, it depends which court I'm assigned to.
2.86%
Yes, if it's before noon
8.57%
No.
42.86%
I'm not telling
2.86%
I've never been called to jury duty
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Jury duty

Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,680 Posts
Thumbs up Jury duty

For those that are working, and those that used to work, do you/did you go to work if dismissed early from jury duty?

I have, my +1 has, but most people look at it as a paid day off. Both times our jury service was in our home town.

I think the court encourages people to report back to work if you can, since the employer has to pay you for the day, but........
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

In my few days there, I was never called. I did work on my laptop some of the time, and the one day we were let go early, I didn't bother going into the office; I just worked from home the rest of the day.

Since my employer was paying for it, I figured I owed them some time.

JonasM
Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In my state you get paid from the courts for serving.
I think it was $40 per day.
I spent a week on a Jury and my employer did not pay me full wage for that time.
He deducted the amount the court was paying me.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 956 Likes on 560 Posts

I have been on jury duty twice, and I have always gone back to work if I was dismissed early from jury duty.

Even if not dismissed early, I would, more often than not, go back to work to see what work I had to do.

I am paid by salary, and I often work more than my 8 hours per day anyway.

I would stop in the lab to see what work needed to be done, and if necessary, do some of the work even if it meant staying past my usual quitting time.

Or, I would bring some of the paperwork or analysis work home with me and do it at home.

Just because I was on jury duty and not at work didn't mean that there would be no work for me to do later. It just made sense for me to see what work needed to be done so as not to be overwhelmed with it later.

Pretty much, I run the lab by myself, with only the help of a student, so much of the work if I don't do it one day, I just have to do it another day anyway.

I work at Ohio State University, and we are paid our full state salary while on jury duty, in addition to the jury duty "pay."

I know, though, that some of the people on jury duty were required to turn over the jury duty "pay" to their employer.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by plankfarm,Nov 30 2009, 05:55 PM
In my state you get paid from the courts for serving.
I think it was $40 per day.
I spent a week on a Jury and my employer did not pay me full wage for that time.
He deducted the amount the court was paying me.
If I'm not mistaken, in our area, the employer has to pay you for three days only. After that the court system pays something like the $40.-50.00. Employers are not required to pay beyond three days, and if they do, they certainly can just pay the difference.

I know my employer would not pay one day more than required by law.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get kicked off. Has to do with being ex cop and working in prisons.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM

I've never been summoned. May have to do with that juvenile thing...

But seriously - I've never been called but would gladly serve.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 764 Likes on 462 Posts

I did not vote in this poll since I do not work outside the home. I've been sent numerous questionnaires about jury duty but never got called. If I worked I'd probably go back to work.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM

I don't remember ever being dismissed early back in the days when I worked out of an office. Now that I work from home it's kind of a moot question.

The main courthouse here has desks and wi-fi access in the juror waiting room. As long as you haven't been called into a courtroom, and thought to bring a laptop, the day isn't wasted.

Traveler's tip for not getting selected for a jury: Reschedule your jury duty for the day before Thanksgiving. The judges and attorneys want to just clear the calendars and go home early. I did this the last time I received a summons. Not a single person was called out of the waiting room. We were all dismissed about an hour after arriving.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 956 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Traveler,Nov 30 2009, 07:06 PM
Traveler's tip for not getting selected for a jury: Reschedule your jury duty for the day before Thanksgiving. The judges and attorneys want to just clear the calendars and go home early. I did this the last time I received a summons. Not a single person was called out of the waiting room. We were all dismissed about an hour after arriving.
Did you only have to be on jury duty for one day?

The two times that I was on jury duty, it was for a period of 2 weeks.

The first time, I was seated on a murder case.

The second time, I was not seated on a case, but I had to go every day for 2 weeks, with the possibility of being chosen for a case. I was not chosen, though.

Quick Reply: Jury duty