S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Just curious

Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Sep 22 2005, 08:32 PM
I agree with "What will you wear on the plane?"

Having done Disney several times, don't bring to much. Lotsa underwear, shorts and a couple of pair of long pants/jeans for each person. A nice shirt for dinner. Don't worry about t-shirts/sweatshirts etc, you'll buy enough of them there to cover your entire stay.

Make sure you have enough empty luggage space for what you buy; you can also have items shipped home for a very reasonable cost, which is what we did last time we were there.

We spent mornings and afternoon/evenings at various attractions, and the middle of the day when those were busiest we spent recuperating at the room/pool. Don't let rain spoil your day, just get plastic ponchos and carry on; we did that and on one day it actually wound up making for a very fun excursion.

Green with envy here, we can't wait til we can get back there...

Have fun!!!

Tom
Good suggestions, Tom.

I don't plan on buying too much stuff. But my niece just made me a great aunt as of yesterday, so something pink and cute is on the shopping list.

Traveling with a four year old will be something we have not done for a long while. I expect she will need some down time in the afternoon. Rick has offered to take naps with her.

Last time we were at Disney we decided the next time we went it would be with a grandchild if we ever had one. Hard to believe that was five years ago, and off we go this weekend.

We know everything is fake, but she won't. It should be a good trip.

I have most of the stuff I need to pack ready to go now. Way too much I'm sure, but at least if I spill food on myself, I'll have plenty of "back up" clothes.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Lainey,

I can't wait to see the pictures of you with your Mickey Ears

I use to travel over two hundred days a year. So I have developed a system much like Bill's.

One piece of advice as far as what to wear on the plane. Not to sound like chicken little, but the recent Air France A-340 fire at Toronto is a good reminder, especially for women. Do not wear nylon hose, shorts or flip flops etc on the plane. Wear your lace up running/walking shoes (they take up lots of room in the suitcase anyway). Wear socks and long pants or jeans. Just in case, as what happened in Toronto you need to be able to move fast with a minimal amount of exposure.

I have head to toe or vice versa system. I generally start with shoes and think through what I will need to go with the occasions (dress, sandals, etc.). Then which socks go with those shoes, how many suits and/or slacks, belts, shirts, ties, underwear, etc. Toiletries are last to pack as you will need them the morning you leave. I also make certain that if for example that you spill a glass of red wine on your slacks or shirt that you have other stuff that is neutral enough in color that you can mix and match if need be.

Have a great trip!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=matt_inva,Sep 22 2005, 10:17 PM] Lainey,

I can't wait to see the pictures of you with your Mickey Ears
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, one more tip. Get on of those cheap, thin, soft suitcases that fold up flat. Pack it in your bag. Now you have a spare bag to put all the laundry in, and more space in your good bag for souvineers
Old 09-23-2005, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would call myself a minimalist packer. I can fit what I need for a 5 day business trip in a roll-a-board. I do a lot of traveling (3.6 million miles on AA since 86) and have found that I can purchase anything I need if something was forgotten or needed for an extended stay. Also hotels / cruise lines have valet or washers for an extended stay.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:29 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Lainey...I used to pack so much stuff and never wear most of it. I finally quit doing that. I determine what activities I'll be doing and pack accordingly. For instance, if I were going to Florida, I'd pack several bathing suits and not much else! You can always wash clothes if you need to. I bought stuff from Chico's that is great. They have clothes made from a material that you can wear, throw in the washer and dryer and put back on. It doesn't wrinkle and doesn't need ironing. It's fantastic.

I wear alot of black, both casual and dressup. You can always plan a wardrobe around black. For instance, I've been wearing a couple of black skirts with different sandals and sleeveless tops this summer.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me traveling and packing is all about preperation and making lists...

I always begin by checking out the weather where I'm going and make a list of cloths that will be appropriate. I always figure if the temps swing dramatically one way or another I can buy something warmer or cooler there. This approach seems to keep my clothing at a minimum.

All of my bathroom supplies for traveling are duplicates. All I have to do is grab the bag and I know I have everything I need. I spend far too many weekends away from home to try and remember a hair brush or a tooth brush or a spare pair of glasses.

My lists become very critical in regards to 'electronic stuff' like camera and supplies, travel alarm, phone charger, stop watches, extra batteries, 2-way radios and the like because these things are scattered all over the house and I do not want to buy new ones.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean, you hit the nail on the head..... I pack like it is the end of civilization. lol.gif Somewhere along the line I became the travel agent, trip planner, suitcase packer,and Rick shows up when it's time to leave. But that's OK I don't have to ignore him when we travel, like Martha does with you. His clothes will match.
My clothes match, it's just that I'm a creature of habit and wear the same thing almost every where I go (unless it's cold) - jeans, semi-wrinkled and untucked long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and sandals with no socks. I go to work and nearly everywhere else dressed that way. However, I did buy a suit for my wedding. It's the first one I've owned in about twenty years, I think.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 23 2005, 08:29 AM

I wear alot of black, both casual and dressup. You can always plan a wardrobe around black. For instance, I've been wearing a couple of black skirts with different sandals and sleeveless tops this summer.
I do that as well, Deb.

Makes it a bit easier.

This trip I have kept it very casual. It's too hot to do otherwise. I don't think the hotel has a washing machine, but I do like those that do. I much prefer to pack a bit less and wash things if needed and then we can also head home with clean clothes, instead of a week's worth of laundry.

Rick took a look at what I had put out on the guest bed to pack into the suitcases, and he didn't think there was too much stuff there, so maybe I'm getting better.

Dean, we're pretty casual people too. Rick is not a guy who wears a tie often. Didn't even wear one when we got married.

He says he must have been hung in a previous life, as he can't stand stuff around his neck.

And Doug (is that your name Triple H?), I do make a list, and don't want to forget things like the battery charger for the cell and digital camera. More stuff to pack.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 3,030 Likes on 1,680 Posts

It's easy to pack when the weather is predictable. The hard part comes for me when I have to be prepared for a possible 90 degree day, or a 30 degree night. Shoes are a pain too. At least now that I can't jog anymore I don't have to pack the jogging shoes.

Quick Reply: Just curious