S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Kids and college

Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default Kids and college

I've been posting a bit about the +1's son and his chemistry problems. He also had trouble in geometry last year, in spite of being very bright. He is taking the SATs this Sat. He tests well, but there is some question about whether he is really ready for college and the demands it will make on him, especially with regard to having to study without someone looking over his shoulder. His counselor says he is just one of many (mostly boys, I expect). Are the parents not enforcing good study habits? He does have one more year of HS, so a miracle could occur. Have any of your kids put off four-year college for awhile/altogether? If so, what did they do in the meantime? Community college, work?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Rob went to community college while working full time for about three years. Then he finished his IT degree at Southern Miss. That time in the real world during MGCCC made a big difference in his maturity level and commitment level when he started at USM.

I went to college straight out of highschool and barely managed to get through 3 semesters with a 2.0. Then after four years in the AF and three years of working for a living I went to MSU and finished my accounting degree with a 3.8 for my MSU hours. My brother went through a similar experience...a little college not well met, Navy, BS in nuclear engineering with ease.

There is something to be said for taking a break between highschool and college as long as the break involves work and/or some kind of education or training.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that the average Bachelor's Degree now takes slightly over 5 years bespeaks a bit about indecision, uncertainty, and perhaps immaturity. I have come to think that a year or two in community colleges is a sound consideration. Better yet, combine local community college with a job to reinforce that doing nothing and hanging around the house indefinitely is not an option.
Even back in the mid-60s, my first year at college was a rough start, until realities set in for me.
One concern always is that the defer college student will get into a groove locally, get a job and get into a comfort zone, buy stuff and a car and get in debt, find a mate and not want to leave, etc.
Back then, there was a greater sense of urgency to get it done, jump into the work force, get married, and follow the well trodden path of those who came before. I don't think that same sense of urgency and hurry is quite the same these days. And, that may not be a bad thing.

I had one daughter that had to be prodded to go, but she finished and has a good job. The other daughter couldn't wait to go, did not finish, married well, and became a stay-at-home mom and horse rancher. My son never looked up to smell the roses until he got exactly what he wanted.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I wasn't motivated for college after HS. Worked a year, then signed up for the AF. Best thing I ever did. Loved the AF experience and was motivated by how much better officers had it. After discharge, I went straight through college with no summer breaks in 3-1/2 yrs.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Deb, I took off the year after High School. In fact, I did not even apply to college while I was in HS. I got a job at a warehouse and quickly realized what my life would be like if I didn't go to school. I was not excited about going back, but knew I needed to. After I started, I did just fine.

There is nothing wrong with the local CC as a starting point. It can be a lower stress way to start the college experience.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jan 19 2010, 01:48 PM]
There is nothing wrong with the local CC as a starting point.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM

I think CC is a good way to get basic requirements out of the way, a lot cheaper, a means to save funds for campus later, and also a good opportunity to establish routine, study, go to class habits without some of the campus distractions. A lot of CCs now have 4 year degree programs and/or direct degree completion at affiliated colleges.
I was in a HS college prep program, and every one of us went off to college. I had additional motivation. My father said "go to college or go in the military; either way you are outta here and on your own." He meant it too. He gave me 20 bucks in 7 years of college.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

John, I too was in the HS college prep program but that doesn't make you motivated; at least not me. All I was thinking about was girls and cars.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM

^^ a man after my own heart. Like I said, I was influenced to move on.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I got out of high school and knew I was going to college but just had really no idea why I was there when I got there.
I never had to work at anything in high school and got by just fine.
That model didn't work so well when I got to college, no one was there to nag or prod.
So I proceeded to flunk out twice in a row, once at one of the top technical institutes then at a local state college.
I then proceeded out into the working world, had stellar jobs like midnite security and mopping a morgue before I landed a retail job working 60-80 hours a week.
After a few years of that and managing a hifi retail store, I decided to unwind the clock.
I enrolled full-time at the state college again and to make things a little more interesting, at that technical institute part time at the same time even though they were 20 miles apart.
Talking about running between classes
Funny thing was it was easy this time. I had a goal, I was motivated and didn't need a push.
I WANTED IT!!

and I believe that is the secret, you have to have a destination or you're just wandering.
You may stumble across it but that's not a plan just a happy accident.
then again that may be half of what college is all about.

Quick Reply: Kids and college