S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Kindle

Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts
Default The Kindle

Kindle

OK a friend of mine mentioned purchasing this...

An electronic reading device?

My friend is an on the go, flight attendant, so maybe this gadget makes sense? Easier to take along then a book? Always have your reading material available?

I have no interest in reading a book on the computer, or lengthy articles while on the computer, and I don't think the Kindle is a gadget I want. I don't find reading on the computer to be relaxing, the Kindle seems kind of the same thing for me. Besides how do you turn down the corner of a page, when you are done reading for a while on a gadget like this?

For me, reading is relaxing if I sit in a favorite chair with a book, maybe that's now another Vintage thing.

What about you? Is this a gadget you must have? If I did a lot of traveling, perhaps I'd change my mind about this gadget....right now, I don't need to set aside any household money for it.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Saw one on television the other day, very interesting idea!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, but expensive. I don't think it will fit on the elliptical at the gym as easily as a book.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the Iphone also has book-reading capabilities, at nearly the same price.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 28 2009, 07:40 AM
Besides how do you turn down the corner of a page, when you are done reading for a while on a gadget like this?
Sacrilige! That's book abuse, a mortal sin in my house.

If someone gave me one for free I would probably find a use for it. A friend of mine at work buys many e-books, and likes them.

I like the idea that we can still read books that are hundreds of years old (although cheap paperbacks will barely last a few decades due to the acid in the paper). Paper books are also legal to pass around, with no digital rights management battles.

One of my favorite authors says that someday e-books may be her main source of income, but for now the paper book royalties pay her mortgage and utilities. The e-book royalties are enough to go out to pizza and maybe catch a movie or two.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM

Bought my wife the Sony version for Xmas. She is an avid reader and just loves it. Font size is adjustable, back lighting for dark areas, hold about 500 of your favorite books. It is about the size of a paperback. Works great in the car when we are on road trips.

It is not like reading on the computer it is much more like reading a book to the point that you run you finger across the page to make it go to the next page.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Sony 505 for over a year now. Love it for fiction. You need to see the e-ink screen to believe it. It is nothing at all like reading on a LCD or other monitor. The Sonys and Kindles use the exact same Vizplex e-ink hardware with slightly different driver electronics. The contrast isn't as good as paper yet but it is nearly strain-free and only gets better in bright light.

The battery lasts for about 7500 page turns (display uses no energy, like an etch-a-sketch) or a few weeks of standby (some background draw) so it only needs a charge once a week or so.

I'll admit to being a horrible book pirate. I bought a few books when I got the unit but quickly sailed the seas of DCC transfers on the bookz IRC channel (forget about bit torrents, that's nothing by comparison!). I average over a book a week and my Sony has already paid for itself.

I'd like a keyboard for dictionary use but wish Amazon or Sony made a slide-out or detachable version. I find the Sony reader a nearly perfect size and it disappears when I read. You might think the "page flash" between turns would be annoying but it fades from consciousness too.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:42 PM

my daughter just got her kindle 2 yesterday (after a 3 month wait). I must say that i'm very impressed. the contrast of the screen and everything it can do is amazing. it will even read the book to you, if you would like. it can suft the internet, anywhere anytime and plays music or will do photos'. my daughter is an avid reader (a book every 3 or so days) so in our house this is a must. hightly recommned
Old 02-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I played around with a friend's first version for a little bit. The screen really is almost like reading paper - very nice, and WAY better than LCD screens. It's thin, but otherwise too big. I didn't care for the controls.

As a big reader, I don't have any plans on getting a Kindle in lieu of paper books. (Even though I get complaints at home about my books taking up all free space around the house. )
Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a question: Why is Jeff Gordon pitching this item?

Sure sounds like him speaking in that ad.

Quick Reply: The Kindle