S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Lion Air Crash

Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Lion Air Crash

How does a two month old Boeing 737 Max crash unless the PIC really F**ked up? Or intentionally put it into the sea?
For those of you that are not familiar with the Boeing 737 Max which was designed to take off at a 90* angle for noise abatement. What this video: BTW: I would love to fly on one just for the take off experience.
FWIIW: When I lived in Southern California I often flew out the only airport that I know of with three names: Orange County Airport (if one looks on a map), John Wayne Airport when one arrives at it and sees the statue and sign, But according to the FAA it is SNA = Santa Ana Airport.

Last edited by Matt_in_VA; 10-31-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
How does a two month old Boeing 737 Max crash unless the PIC really F**ked up? Or intentionally put it into the sea?
For those of you that are not familiar with the Boeing 737 Max which was designed to take off at a 90* angle for noise abatement. What this video: BTW: I would love to fly on one just for the take off experience.
FWIIW: When I lived in Southern California I often flew out the only airport that I know of with three names: Orange County Airport (if one looks on a map), John Wayne Airport when one arrives at it and sees the statue and sign, But according to the FAA it is SNA = Santa Ana Airport.

https://youtu.be/1XEsSRqnOwc
A little background info on me (in an attempt to establish some credibility...): unlike many of you, I'm still a member of the workforce, in my case an airline Captain flying the 737 for a major carrier flagged in the United States. I normally fly the Boeing 737NG (Next Generation), but have flown the 737 Max since my airline is currently taking delivery of them. Having watched the video, it's impressive to see what the Boeing test pilots do with the airplane, although I also noted that there was a small message stating "...DO NOT ATTEMPT". I can assure you that nobody who flies for any airline registered in the United States will attempt to fly the aircraft in a manner remotely close to that depicted on the video! Pilots will not takeoff and bank at such extreme angles. The video was an attempt to demonstrate what the airplane is capable of doing, not how it was intended to be operated. Pitching the nose to nearly vertical or rolling into such steep banks, especially at low altitudes, would only serve to understandably alarm the passengers, flight attendants, and any bystanders watching from the ground. Many of us who fly these planes are monitoring the Lion Air mishap closely to see if the cause of the crash did indeed lie with the actions of the crew or was attributable to the design of the airplane. Often, though not always, airplane crashes are the fault of the crews.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 11-01-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Thanks for that clarification. Any chance you will be captain on my flight from DC to ORD tomorrow AM?

EDIT - Looks like not. It's an Airbus.

Last edited by MsPerky; 11-01-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart
A little background info on me (in an attempt to establish some credibility...): unlike many of you, I'm still a member of the workforce, in my case an airline Captain flying the 737 for a major carrier flagged in the United States. I normally fly the Boeing 737NG (Next Generation), but have flown the 737 Max since my airline is currently taking delivery of them. Having watched the video, it's impressive to see what the Boeing test pilots do with the airplane, although I also noted that there was a small message stating "...DO NOT ATTEMPT". I can assure you that nobody who flies for any airline registered in the United States will attempt to fly the aircraft in a manner remotely close to that depicted on the video! Pilots will not takeoff and bank at such extreme angles. The video was an attempt to demonstrate what the airplane is capable of doing, not how it was intended to be operated. Pitching the nose to nearly vertical or rolling into such steep banks, especially at low altitudes, would only serve to understandably alarm the passengers, flight attendants, and any bystanders watching from the ground. Many of us who fly these planes are monitoring the Lion Air mishap closely to see if the cause of the crash did indeed lie with the actions of the crew or was attributable to the design of the airplane. Often, though not always, airplane crashes are the fault of the crews.
I have to agree as a retired Gvt Aviation Inspector and son of a Test Pilot the old saying “Do not try this at home” applies
Old 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Matt,
in the reliability biz, there is what's called a bathtub curve.

So two month crash would qualify as early infant mortality, i.e. an undetected failure resulting from a problem during assembly.
$#^t happens.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,453 Posts

not sure how true the initial reports are, but they say the plane entered the ocean at a speed that greatly exceeded the natural fall rate. That does not seem to make sense if it was a mechanical issue, almost like it was being driven into the sea at full throttle ? I know nothing about any of this but that initial report seemed to cast a shadow on the accident, though I fully understand that first reports are often debunked later in the investigation.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

At part of what I read that interested me was the report from passenger who flew in on the plane and reported that the plane lost altitude quickly coming in to the airport. Now that might not mean much, as it could of been how the crew flew the plane or if it was an ATC clearance the crew accepted or The passenger report could mean a lot.

it will be interesting to hear what information they get from the black box
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Evidently, assuming I properly understood the last report on TV, the flight computer and the pilot got into a fight for control possibly due to a faulty external sensor. The pilot did not have a sufficient level of training or presence of mind to turn off the computer. The computer had stronger control, put the nose down and flew the plane into the water. More to come.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
Evidently, assuming I properly understood the last report on TV, the flight computer and the pilot got into a fight for control possibly due to a faulty external sensor. The pilot did not have a sufficient level of training or presence of mind to turn off the computer. The computer had stronger control, put the nose down and flew the plane into the water. More to come.
That's what I heard as well. That should never happen in this day and age. They better go back to the drawing boards.

Quick Reply: Lion Air Crash