S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Look what the tide dragged in

Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjosey8385' date='Feb 2 2005, 05:30 PM
I thought the title of this post meant you, Dean. I figured you'd bought your boat and been out to sea.

Those are some really ugly critters...I think I'll stick with snorkeling just offshore. Manatees and pretty colored tropical fish are more my speed
I haven't bought a boat yet, or even started looking. I got sidetracked with upgrading my home theater system and remodeling the livingroom.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 3 2005, 09:10 AM
I haven't bought a boat yet, or even started looking. I got sidetracked with upgrading my home theater system and remodeling the livingroom.
Not to hijack the thread, but you did hit on another passion. HT, what did you get to upgrade?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy' date='Feb 3 2005, 10:37 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but you did hit on another passion. HT, what did you get to upgrade?
As long as the topic is something that I'm interested in, I don't consider it hijacking.
I've been into HT for three or four years now. I just upgraded my subwoofer to an SVS PB12 - Ultra/2 and I've upgraded my speakers to Magnepans. I just ordered MGC1 and MGCC3 speakers yesterday. They're planar speakers (with quite a cult following) that can be mounted on the walls or hung from the ceiling. Martha has never been too thrilled with my floor standing Infinity speakers, so I upgraded just to make her happy.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 3 2005, 09:49 AM
As long as the topic is something that I'm interested in, I don't consider it hijacking.
I've been into HT for three or four years now. I just upgraded my subwoofer to an SVS PB12 - Ultra/2 and I've upgraded my speakers to Magnepans. I just ordered MGC1 and MGCC3 speakers yesterday. They're planar speakers (with quite a cult following) that can be mounted on the walls or hung from the ceiling. Martha has never been too thrilled with my floor standing Infinity speakers, so I upgraded just to make her happy.
Very nice, I had a set of Infinity kappa 7's with a Kappa Center and something for surrounds which I used for may years. Those were replaced with RBH 1061s and 661s, which are now in my LR and I have gone to M&K S 125s and SS125s with an Earthquke MkIV 12 in my theater.

I aws very, very close to buying Maggies when I got the Kappas. They are relly great speakers, and I have great things about the SVS subs, but have not heard them.

Wow, sounds great!

Back to the fish, do you know what the eel in the dish with the squid is? It looks like a spotted/golden moray.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy' date='Feb 3 2005, 11:02 AM
Very nice, I had a set of Infinity kappa 7's with a Kappa Center and something for surrounds which I used for may years. Those were replaced with RBH 1061s and 661s, which are now in my LR and I have gone to M&K S 125s and SS125s with an Earthquke MkIV 12 in my theater.

I aws very, very close to buying Maggies when I got the Kappas. They are relly great speakers, and I have great things about the SVS subs, but have not heard them.

Wow, sounds great!

Back to the fish, do you know what the eel in the dish with the squid is? It looks like a spotted/golden moray.
That's called a basketwork eel. I don't know the Order or Genus off the top of my head, but I doubt that it's related to the morays.

That sounds like a nice system. What are you using for electronics? I'm using a bank of Outlaw Audio M-200 monoblocks that I've been very pleased with, but I'm looking to upgrade the Denon 3802 receiver that I'm using as a pre/pro to a real pre/pro.

The SVS subs are nice. I've listened to subs costing two to three times more that couldn't hold a candle to the upper end SVS models. It helps that Tom and Ron, the owners of SVS, are two of the nicest people I've ever met in the home audio/theater business.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 3 2005, 10:16 AM
That sounds like a nice system. What are you using for electronics? I'm using a bank of Outlaw Audio M-200 monoblocks that I've been very pleased with, but I'm looking to upgrade the Denon 3802 receiver that I'm using as a pre/pro to a real pre/pro.

The SVS subs are nice. I've listened to subs costing two to three times more that couldn't hold a candle to the upper end SVS models. It helps that Tom and Ron, the owners of SVS, are two of the nicest people I've ever met in the home audio/theater business.
In my LR I am using a Denon 5700. It's getting a little old and doesn't have all the new surround formats. I am looking to maybe get an ATI or Anthem pre/pro and use the amp section of the Denon on a temp basis.

In my HT I have a Lexicon MC-8 feeding a Parasound 2205 and 1500 combo.

I just purchased a Sharp LC-37GD4U for my LR and it makes it real hard to go down to the theater to watch a CRT RP, ergo looking at the upgrade for the LR.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy' date='Feb 3 2005, 11:39 AM
I am looking to maybe get an ATI or Anthem pre/pro and use the amp section of the Denon on a temp basis.
Please let me know what you decide to go with, as I could use some help with picking a pre/pro. I don't care about having a lot of bells & whistles or with an AM/FM tuner. I want something relatively simple but of very good quality.