S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for pc chair recommendations

Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts
Default Looking for pc chair recommendations

For 25+ years I used a Steelcase exec. chair that cost over $1,200 new (thankfully my former employer picked up that tab). I loved it. So I'm of the frame of mind that you get what you pay for with the top end manufacturers. The tilt mechanism finally let go and due to its age I can not get replacement parts. I started out sitting in every chair that Office Max had on the floor. I didn't find a single one I liked. Then I started researching online. The one that most often pops up with great reviews is the Herman Miller Aeron chair. I just priced it out with the options I would want and it came to $770. That's with a 15% sale price that ends this weekend; list was $906. The nearest authorized dealer is in Ann Arbor, which means I'd have to get there within the next day or two to try one on for size; naturally it has multiple adjustments. But I'm not sure how the web seating design will work for my comfort level. It comes with a 12-year warranty and 30-day no hassle return. There's used ones out there for $450 but why take the chance to save a couple hundred.

That's where I'm at. Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

How many hours a day do you sit in a chair working?

That Steelcase chair cost about 13 cents a day.

Buy the the best chair you can afford, yor comfort is priceless.

Last edited by zdave87; 12-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Herman Miller Aeron. I'm a size "B" (2 dots) at 5' 6". I have used the same one in my office for 18 years with no issues! I also have one at home, and it is great also. Be sure you know what you are getting though. They came in 3 sizes and there are various versions with different sets of adjustments. Mine both have all the tilt and height adjustment features, and the one I own personally has the special lower back support (though I'm not sure that was worth it as my office one has the normal rubber one and it's fine).

Tech companies in the San Francisco area are loaded with these chairs - they are wildly popular out here.

Good luck with your decision. Is there an HM dealer near you? You might be able to swing by and sit in one.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jcavalie
I'm a big fan of the Herman Miller Aeron. I'm a size "B" (2 dots) at 5' 6". I have used the same one in my office for 18 years with no issues! I also have one at home, and it is great also. Be sure you know what you are getting though. They came in 3 sizes and there are various versions with different sets of adjustments. Mine both have all the tilt and height adjustment features, and the one I own personally has the special lower back support (though I'm not sure that was worth it as my office one has the normal rubber one and it's fine).

Tech companies in the San Francisco area are loaded with these chairs - they are wildly popular out here.

Good luck with your decision. Is there an HM dealer near you? You might be able to swing by and sit in one.
Thanks, that is great to hear. Wow, I know this style been around a long time but that's a true testimont to how great it is. My research suggests I'm C (3 dots). Without even sitting in one, I am thinking the adjustable arms and lumbar (but not the special lumber) are features I'd like, otherwise standard on tilt, arm pads, etc. Nearest HM dealer is an hour away.

And thank you for the feedback!

Last edited by dlq04; 12-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jcavalie
I'm a big fan of the Herman Miller Aeron. .

x2. I love my Herman Miller. I am an office chair power user. In my profession, you pretty much spend the work day in your office reading and writing and banging things out on the PC. When I started at the firm I inherited the chair that was already in the office. It was the typical leather padded executive swivel chair. I wore that out after four or five years and they bought me a nice new one. I loved that chair, but it too wore out after 15 years of hard use. When I told them I needed a new chair the office manager said she wanted me to try these new fangled web-like chairs that all the young attorneys were getting. I was skeptical when I got my first one about 10 years ago, but as soon as I adjusted the height and arms to my preference I was comfortable and relaxed. I waited for some discomfort to crop up, but it never did. The thing is amazingly adjustable, it stays cool after hours of sitting and is relatively light weight.

I have only one "con". The wheels start to crumble after six or eight years of heavy use. The chairs are equipped with five double roller wheels. If one of the double rollers break, the other side still rolls fine and the chair continues to work. I remember being surprised to see bits of plastic under my chair and yet the chair was still rolling smoothly. Mine came apart a bit at at time over 18 months until it could not easily roll. I looked around the office to see if there were any extra chairs that I could swap out. I found one and noticed that it too was starting to come apart at the wheels. Not as bad as mine, but i could see that it was on its way. My office manager told me that this had become a problem with most of them. So if you are a power user like me, expect about 7 or 8 years before the wheels start to break up. Of course, the company may have addressed this since we bought our load of them 10 or 12 years ago. I notice that they sell new wheels on their web site, so we may order a box of them.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate your full report. Like you, I am skeptical about the web design, having never sat in one. I really want to go to a store for a test drive and the nearest store is an hour away.

I called them but they only have one in stock, in medium size B and I'm pretty sure I would prefer the larger size C. Its frustrating they don't have a sample of each. To test drive a C I would have to drive about 2 hours. I tried calling all the used office furniture stores within an hour and not a one had any in stock.

I plan to test drive a B since the sale ends in a couple days and from what I've read HM only has two sales a year. I'm trying to save Santa some money as well as finding the ideal chair.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW:

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be aware, Amazon is not listed as an official Herman Millar online distributor. Might be an issue if you ever need to use that warranty.

I was recently shopping for a chair and was considering an Aeron, but ultimately decided to spend a bit more and get an Embody. I purchased from officedesigns.com because they offer 30-day free returns for any reason. Since I don't have a retailer locally to test the chair, I figured this was my safest option.

So far I've been very pleased with the chair (and I'm long past my 30-day return, so I intend to keep it for a long time). I did opt for the adjustable arms and also upgraded to the balance fabric as it offers a slight bit more cushion. A few of the reviews I read online, the reviewer said their only regret was not upgrading the fabric, as the chair doesn't really have any padding. The balance fabric adds a slight bit of padding, plus it looks really cool. I tweaked the adjustments over the first week and now that I have it setup it's very comfortable.

My friends and family think I'm nuts spending $1200+ on a computer chair, but if it lasts me 12 years at $100 per year I'm fine with that. The $100 chairs I usually buy only ever last me about a year anyways. I also work from home, so the chair gets a significant amount of use.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM

I did my test drive at the distributor. It seemed very comfortable but the size B is too narrow for my comfort zone (wife thought it was great). The store emailed HM and got me a width measurement for size C but I want to verify where exactly it was taken from, so I am awaiting a factory reply.

Here's a word of caution. The 30-day no hassle return policy ONLY applies to online direct orders. The distributor salesman said they would charge me a 30% restocking fee if it was bought there and returned. He said HM will not take back chairs from the store!! This was at one of the five distributors in the state.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nitroturtle
Be aware, Amazon is not listed as an official Herman Millar online distributor. Might be an issue if you ever need to use that warranty.

I was recently shopping for a chair and was considering an Aeron, but ultimately decided to spend a bit more and get an Embody. I purchased from officedesigns.com because they offer 30-day free returns for any reason. Since I don't have a retailer locally to test the chair, I figured this was my safest option.

So far I've been very pleased with the chair (and I'm long past my 30-day return, so I intend to keep it for a long time). I did opt for the adjustable arms and also upgraded to the balance fabric as it offers a slight bit more cushion. A few of the reviews I read online, the reviewer said their only regret was not upgrading the fabric, as the chair doesn't really have any padding. The balance fabric adds a slight bit of padding, plus it looks really cool. I tweaked the adjustments over the first week and now that I have it setup it's very comfortable.

My friends and family think I'm nuts spending $1200+ on a computer chair, but if it lasts me 12 years at $100 per year I'm fine with that. The $100 chairs I usually buy only ever last me about a year anyways. I also work from home, so the chair gets a significant amount of use.
I too now think the Embody is the best chair for my requirements. I spoke at length with a salesman at Design Quest, a HM retailer two hours away from me. They do have all the chairs I'd like to try in stock. If I don't get to their store by Monday, I may just wait for HM's summer sale after trying them all out. He said their restocking fee is 50%, so I really amazed that officedesigns.com makes that return offer.

Quick Reply: Looking for pc chair recommendations