S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Market Watch 2014

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Market Watch 2014

I changed the title again to increase the enjoyment.

I've changed the name to match the discussion. Enjoy!

Well, I'm only a month behind with this subject.

2013 ended up much better than I predicted on the stock side. My 3 to 5% prediction was low by double digits. 2014 got off to a rocky start, but this week ended with a bounce. As I approach the big 6-0 I need to restructure. I already did a bit of that at the end of 2013. My final rebalance will have to wait until April 15. Until I can separate my money from uncle sam's I'm not sure what I have to work with.

I'd like to think we will see another up year in the stock market, but the bull market is already 5 years old and this past month suggests we have topped out. What are your thoughts for 2014? Will you be making any changes?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m cautiously optimistic that the market will be up this year although nowhere near as good as last year and am sticking with pipeline and natural gas MLP’s; healthcare REIT’s ,stocks paying over 3% in dividends [and reasonable payout ratios] and a couple of speculative issues.

I’m pretty much out of bonds [that money’s in cash] and foreign stocks.

That's what I was doing most of last year and don't anticipate changing the strategy unless things really start going dramatically North or South.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Staying put. I had a great year last year double digit returns and I have guaranteed annuities as a safety net for a down turn. My financial guy of 25 years is a top advisor for Merrill Lynch so I let him make my decisions and he has a a very good track record. Diversification is key.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Just received a 31 page write-up from Vanguard, loaded with graphs and great info. Some of it I understand and some I wish I did.

Here's just a couple little summaries from the report which covered everything you could imagine.

Global economy. For the first time since the financial crisis, our leading indicators point to a slight pickup in near-term growth for the United States, parts of Europe, and other select developed markets. Continued progress in U.S. consumer deleveraging, strong corporate balance sheets, firmer global trade, and less fiscal drag indicate U.S. growth approaching 3%. That said, this cyclical assessment should be placed against a backdrop of high unemployment and government debt; ongoing structural reforms in Europe, China, and Japan; and extremely aggressive monetary policy with exit strategies that have yet to be tested.

Asset allocation strategies. Broadly speaking, the outlook for risk premiums is lower across a range of investments than was the case just two or three years ago. Our simulations indicate that balanced portfolio returns over the next decade are likely to be below long-run historical averages, with those for a 60% stock/40% bond portfolio tending to center in the 3%–5% range, adjusted for inflation. Even so, Vanguard still firmly believes that the expected risk-return trade-off among stocks and bonds leaves the principles of portfolio construction unchanged. Specifically, our simulated mean-variance frontier of expected returns is upward sloping—it anticipates higher strategic returns for more aggressive portfolios, accompanied by greater downside risk. We believe that a long-term, strategic approach with a balanced, diversified, low-cost portfolio can remain a high-value proposition in the decade ahead.
I think its going to be an up and down year with lower returns than we saw in 2014.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Online trading and investing services – what service have you chosen and why? I have Schwab only because a friend once directed me there. I don’t trade very often (about twelve to twenty times a year) Schwab’s research tools seem to be okay, but I'm looking to improve myself, if I can. Are you happy with your online service’s investment/research tools and support? Considering my low trading levels should I be content with Schwab?

gary

Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

OK. I have to throw this out there for Patty. Tesla closed at over $196 today! How is this even possible???

All I have to say, is
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Online trading and investing services – what service have you chosen and why? I have Schwab only because a friend once directed me there. I don’t trade very often (about twelve to twenty times a year) Schwab’s research tools seem to be okay, but I'm looking to improve myself, if I can. Are you happy with your online service’s investment/research tools and support? Considering my low trading levels should I be content with Schwab?

gary
I'm with Fidelity because my firms 401K is with them. All my investing is in funds rather than individual stocks. Maybe in the future I'll pick my own portfolio, but not now.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
OK. I have to throw this out there for Patty. Tesla closed at over $196 today! How is this even possible???

All I have to say, is
Before I saw your post, I looked at Tesla on my Favorites and out popped, "Holy shit."

Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) -NasdaqGS

196.56 Up 10.03(5.38%) 4:00PM EST|

After Hours : 196.54 Down 0.02 (0.01%) 7:59PM EST
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TSLA at 202.72 for a high today.

Congrats' Patty.

gary
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
TSLA at 202.72 for a high today.

Congrats' Patty.

gary
You beat me to it, Gary. It's finally busted through $200.

Quick Reply: Market Watch 2014