S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Market Watch 2019.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

as for circuit breakers.... https://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/24/when...-explains.html
Tomorrow should be an even better ride. looks like a government shutdown is assured and Gen Mattis has resigned.
Hold on it's going to be a bumpy night. You might see circuit breaker popping tomorrow.

on the flip side the good news is I don't intend to retire for a long time.
Yesterday I said goodbye to another co-worker who is finally retiring at 76.
at the moment I'm still having fun.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
For those who don't (like us) we may be looking at this from another angle.
Here's the angle I look though - since I retired 17 years ago I have not had any additional income. When I retired, happily I retired! So, I have not put one new cent into the market other than dividend reinvestments. Thus I am always conservative and sleep well.
The following users liked this post:
Bri (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Here's the angle I look though - since I retired 17 years ago I have not had any additional income. When I retired, happily I retired! So, I have not put one new cent into the market other than dividend reinvestments. Thus I am always conservative and sleep well.
I don't expect to put any "new cents" into the market once we retire. I'm hoping retirement is by spring of next year. We haven't put a lot of "new cents" in since Rick retired. We've lost some of our "old cents" though....none of this is making any sense....
Old 12-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Tomorrow I'm going over the with my account manager. At this point, I'm thinking I may have already suffered the worst of it. Paul's handy chart suggests it is too early for a real recession. The 15%+ "correction" may be the end, or very close to it.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
When does the directed order of automated trading devolve into something that looks for all the world like chaos? Are we there yet? Will the stock market be the first automated system over which humans lose control? Where are the fire breaks in the system?
Apropos is this from a Zack.com email yesterday
.................................................. ....
IS THE MARKET RIGGED?
High-Frequency Traders Bend Stocks to Their Will
Computer-driven High-Frequency Traders (HFTs) have a big advantage over investors like you and me. They can execute massive volumes of trades faster than the human brain can react, bending stocks to their will.Even when the market scales higher, they fire off short trades, scaring folks into selling stocks that are actually strong. Next they...Pocket quick profits as the stocks tumble..Then buy those same stocks as they bottom out, and ride the rebounds for still more profits.
These tactics are very effective and their wins almost always mean sizable losses for everyone else.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
Apropos is this from a Zack.com email yesterday
.................................................. ....
IS THE MARKET RIGGED?
High-Frequency Traders Bend Stocks to Their Will
Computer-driven High-Frequency Traders (HFTs) have a big advantage over investors like you and me. They can execute massive volumes of trades faster than the human brain can react, bending stocks to their will.Even when the market scales higher, they fire off short trades, scaring folks into selling stocks that are actually strong. Next they...Pocket quick profits as the stocks tumble..Then buy those same stocks as they bottom out, and ride the rebounds for still more profits.
These tactics are very effective and their wins almost always mean sizable losses for everyone else.
This is why I generally avoid looking at things on a daily or weekly basis. I do abide by the idea in the market, have a plan and stick to it. I try not to chase the shiny objects going down or up.
That said, I do believe, rich people do not go broke in the stock market. They did once and they have figured out how not to allow that to happen again.
HFTs need t be addressed.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

A little bounce back this AM. Will see if it holds up....there may be a shutdown of well, the government...more uncertainty which we know the stock market does not like.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Pretty good Jim. 2467.42 at the end of today. How are you guys feeling about the market now?
We bounced a little at the 2440’s. There is some support here but a lot of worry and world market issues. We might go to the lower of 2400’s. If we break that.

Let’s just say there will be blood. In people’s eyes or in the streets.

People are going be trying to sell their losers and lock in losses to off set any gains this year. Anyone still UP might be selling off now to lock in profits as the downside might be accelerating!

I guess my ripcord back in the first slide of February doesn’t look all that bad now. I should have hung on till early Sept. when I said I would make my decision on if to get back in or not.

As as I got close to Sept. I saw some UGLY similarities to the “Tech Bubble”. It was all of 1 month difference. Similar dips and similar tops. We all know how that one rolled out. Going to be looking at those charts and trends to see if they are still moving similarly. Really surprised nobody else has made this chart comparison.

Last edited by Pinky; 12-21-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Ditto here Dave.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I would love a method to measure the impact of the stock buybacks this year.
The tax cuts for repatriation of offshore monies led to a tremendous amount of corporate buy-backs.
In theory, the Cap valuer of the company has been driven up, in practice I don't believe that.
A sustained pressure of that type will drive prices up, that is until you pull the buybacks.
With the pricing pressure removed the stocks fall back.
I would not be surprised to see the secondary effects of that action driving the market pricing.

Quick Reply: Market Watch 2019.