S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Market Watch 2021

Old 03-27-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

The stocks in that field have gotten beat up. However, as we often see with the market, the price of the stock doesn't always match or connect with the economics of the business itself.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:24 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Ok here's the short of it Mike,
From column A we have a massive investment in solar and wind which are great when the wind is blowing or the sun is shining.
From column b we have EV's and fuel cell cars.
EV's take a long time to charge and take an efficiency hit lugging around batteries.
Hydrogen as a fuel is the most dense fuel having 3 times the energy per Kg as diesel fuel.
There are several sources of hydrogen and for convenience and potentially bias purposes have been color coded.
Brown or grey hydrogen is extracted from coal. Lots of less desirable by-products and CO2.
Blue Hydrogen is created by a steam refraction process and creates Hydrogen but also CO2.
Green Hydrogen is created by electrolysis. Zero CO2 by-product. True decarbonization.

I will say that hydrogen as fuel has been "just around the corner " for the last 20-30 years. It might still be.
It certainly seems to be getting a lot more attention now.
As the rest of the world works towards removing carbon byproducts creating processes and products from general use, they are making some BIG investments.
One area is steel production, by using hydrogen and electricity the can drawn down the CO2 by an enormous amount compared with coal/coke based production methods.
According to the International Energy Agency, the iron and steel sector is responsible for 2.6 gigatonnes of direct carbon dioxide emissions each year
Giga tonnes... that's a pretty big number. obviously could have a massive impact on CO2 levels.

Heavy industries where EV isn't really viable are shifting towards hydrogen fuel cells. Trains and buses are switching over.
New catalysts are improving the energy losses in creating hydrogen from water via electrolysis.
That helps with the what do you do on a calm night when you relied on wind and solar question.

For personal vehicles it may be the betamax VHS battle deja vu but it will come down to infrastructure.

I wish i had invested a year ago.
Plug power that makes fuel cells was 3.22 a share on March 2020 and made a run to ~$76 in january.
Not being fools they let out a billion in stock to the market for cash flow through dilution ad they had a little issue with restating earnings.
And they got a $1.6 billion in investment from Korean SK group. The Asians think H2 is the way to go forward.
So does Caterpillar and Cummins heavy equipment who have been on a buying sprees as well.
So when it comes to investments in hydrogen generation and utilization I am seeing more $B than I am $M amounts.
example https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/stee...gen-plant.html
For the initial phase of the project, total financing will come to roughly 2.5 billion euros.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/18/bp-i...in-the-uk.html

there is even a project that is considering direct generation of green H2 at farm of 1500 large scale windmills.
https://www.offshorewind.biz/2020/02...d-to-hydrogen/
Old 04-01-2021, 06:27 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

OK. I get hydrogen as an investment now. (thanks, Jerry)

Now somebody explain why some NFTs are worth millions.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:46 AM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
OK. I get hydrogen as an investment now. (thanks, Jerry)

Now somebody explain why some NFTs are worth millions.
Had to look that one up. NFTs sound like a scammer's scam to me. But maybe if I look hard enough I can find the only digital copy in the world of something . . . and maybe not - - since everything on my computer and iPhone is backed up somewhere. Quess it would have to be on my camera before I upload it. Nothing there worth a million. Darn.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:53 AM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I am not a fan of electric cars and do not plan to ever own one but we all know they are the future, like it or not. So with that said, I am thinking of buying some stock in an electric car company. I've read there are about 400 new electric car company startups out there. Since I missed the boat for Tesla I need to find the next Tesla competitor in the works. I've got a company in mind and was going to buy some stock today but discovered the market is closed. Should I take that as a 'sign' to pass on it? Guess I have till Monday to think about it.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I think Tesla is still a good buy.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by S1997
I think Tesla is still a good buy.
with a market cap of 635.18B I might debate that.
The tesla novelty will wear off. the lack off service infrastructure is going to hurt them and their initial base is deserting them.
It is a lot easier to make an expensive car than a cheap one and their quality stepped off a cliff.
A buddy of mine bought a model S. He was thrilled with the experience.
Then he bought a model 3, " ok here are your keys, your car should be in row 4." he was pissed.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Former Moderator

Anyway, I'm not selling my Tesla stock yet. But I bought it back in May or June. I would not buy a Tesla, but I do like the 3. The stock price is driven by more than their electric cars.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:56 PM

I might sell to cover.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Former Moderator

Probably a good idea. Sometimes you wrong, sometimes you lucky. I didn't buy a ton of the stock. My wife, Chris, is a Forbes ranked and cited CFP. So she's the boss. I have some play money that I pilfered out of some of my retirement funds. I can survive without it. So I play on the side. Actually I don't do badly, and it's a helluva lot more fun than Vegas! LOL

Quick Reply: Market Watch 2021