S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Michael Moore

Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boring, yes. But if it says that as governor of Texas, Bush never met with Taliban representatives for example, it's not "crap being thrown from another angle". Either it's true or it's not.

edit--BTW, are you following me around S2Ki, just lookin' for a good argument?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord' date='Feb 6 2005, 09:24 PM
Boring, yes. But if it says that as governor of Texas, Bush never met with Taliban representatives for example, it's not "crap being thrown from another angle". Either it's true or it's not.

edit--BTW, are you following me around S2Ki, just lookin' for a good argument?
No, I'm lying in wait for Drew for his Nixon was a great American comment.

Moore exercised his right to free speech. I don't see the problem. Anyone who accepts any movie as gospel really shouldn't be allowed out of the house without adult supervision.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:54 PM

Tricky Dick's Western White House is about five miles away from my house...

Wonder if it's something in the air.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Nixon and Clemens were in there because I wanted some other controversial figures in the mix. (Am I the only one who hates Roger Clemens?)

Nixon didn't come from a political family; he didn't come from privilege or wealth. He had ambition, and a desire to have things be a certain way... his version of "the American way". He rose from this obscurity to the senate and then vice-presidency. Although nearly felled by scandals and defeat, he persisted. Rather than retire into lucrative private practice, he fought back until he became president.

As president, he had the courage to break with the traditions of his party to activate wage and price controls when inflation began to get out of control. (No Republican president before or since would ever have considered such blatant government intervention into business.)

He was the first American president to have a world-vision for the future and to develop a pro-active foreign policy to better realize that aim. (Prior to Nixon, and largely since, our foreign policy has been totally re-active. Evidence Condi Rice telling the parties in the Middle East today: "You all just work things out on your own. As long as we don't have to get involved, the USA will do whatever we can to support you.")

Obviously, Nixon had his drawbacks and weaknesses. Nixon's main one was paranoia, and it ultimately consumed him. Does this diminish his accomplishments? Nope, it just makes him very human, like most great Americans.

Nixon used his skills in the American political system to go as far as could... to accomplish as much of his dream and vision as he was able.

Great Americans aren
Old 02-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 6 2005, 05:15 PM
I don't think I could ever bring myself to use the words "great American" and "Richard Nixon" in the same sentence.
But you just did!

Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord' date='Feb 6 2005, 05:59 PM
Moore is scum--someone who tried to sway the election of 2004 through well-timed lies and deceit. To me, that's inexcusable.
I've asked the question before: How many color-coded terror warnings have there been in the three months prior to the election, and how many have there been in the three months since the election?

Do you honestly think that the world suddenly became a safer place on the morning of November 3?
Old 02-06-2005, 07:48 PM

Hey Drew,

Not to nit picks, but Bill Gates parents were prominent bank owners in Washington--he started with millions, not from humble beginnings.

Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld would work, though.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord' date='Feb 6 2005, 08:48 PM
Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld would work, though.
I'd be happy if they'd just work a little further from the Oval Office...
Old 02-06-2005, 07:59 PM

[quote name='cordycord' date='Feb 6 2005, 03:59 PM'] someone who tried to sway the election of 2004 through well-timed lies and deceit.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord' date='Feb 6 2005, 03:59 PM
Moore is scum--someone who tried to sway the election of 2004 through well-timed lies and deceit. To me, that's inexcusable.
Ah, but he failed. As a failure, he may be an example to others of how not to do things. To me, that excuses him.

Quick Reply: Michael Moore