S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Mohs surgery

Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Deb, I am sorry to hear about your relative.

I have been going to the dermatologist at least once a year for many many years. I sometimes go more than once a year because I find spots that I want to have checked.

With my history (genetics, very fair skin and freckles, and a number of bad sunburns during my youth, peeling, blistering, etc), I am at a higher risk for different kinds of skin cancer.

I did have one squamous cell carcinoma, in situ, (caught very early) removed from my leg about 5 years ago. I have had quite a few biopsies and have also been treated for a number of pre-cancerous lesions.

We had a friend die about a year ago from Stage 4 melanoma. It had spread to his brain, liver and lung. I believe that he had been treated for melanoma a number of years ago, but it reoccurred.

I hope for the best for your relative.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Thanks...I do not know whether my relative has ever been treated or not, but I guess at this point it doesn't matter. Very sad. I am due for another body scan in six months. I will not miss that appt.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 AM

For some reason, the first few days I did not have any pain at all, but now I have some. Maybe it was the Novocaine wearing off. I think the compression sock is putting pressure on the area around the wound, which is a bit swollen and bruised. But I have to grin and bear it. Today is starting out better. Not sure why but I'll take it.

My relative has taken a turn for the worse. After the diagnosis, he had plans to go to MD Anderson in Houston to be treated for the melanoma. Apparently the best hospital in the country for that. A fighter all the way. But sadly, I'm afraid his fight is coming to an end.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:18 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Deb, I hope as the days go on that your leg feels better and better.

I am so sorry to hear that your relative is not doing well.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:55 AM

My leg is doing well in the healing department. It is still painful sometimes in the area around the wound. Could be nerve pain which supposedly goes away over time. The pressure from the compression sock tends to aggravate it, I think, but it's a tradeoff I have to accept for awhile. Back to the surgeon for a check next week.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
My leg is doing well in the healing department. It is still painful sometimes in the area around the wound. Could be nerve pain which supposedly goes away over time. The pressure from the compression sock tends to aggravate it, I think, but it's a tradeoff I have to accept for awhile. Back to the surgeon for a check next week.
I'm glad you're healing, Deb. What do they have you putting on the wound?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 AM

Nothing but plain Vaseline, so no scab forms. Covered by a big band aid - changed once a day. I'm hoping I don't have to wear the sock for the full three months, since the wound is doing well, but I'm prepared to if necessary. See what the surgeon says.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Nothing but plain Vaseline, so no scab forms. Covered by a big band aid - changed once a day. I'm hoping I don't have to wear the sock for the full three months, since the wound is doing well, but I'm prepared to if necessary. See what the surgeon says.
Vaseline is what I've been told to use also...
Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

How is your facial incision healing, flts?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Good luck with it. I bet it takes a while for the skin to heal over.

Quick Reply: Mohs surgery