S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Most Stolen Cars and Trucks in America 2022

Old 12-02-2023, 10:28 AM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
When I worked in Russia in the late '90s, Constintine, one of my local associates, when we were talking about some road conditions just laughed and said if you break a car you can just go out and get another American car at the corner lot so roads need not be repaired.
I had a experience with an Avis rental back in 1999. When NATO was getting ready to expand and allow the Czech Republic to join NATO I attended a conference in Brno. We flew into Prague and rented an Opel mini van* to drive to Brno. When I returned the vehicle Avis's computers were down and they told me that they would E-mail me a copy of the receipt so I could expense it. Upon returning home I received an E-mail for over $2200 USD for a five day rental. The first thing that hit me was the expense. Then I realized that it was being billed in German Deutshce Marks, not the Czech Crown. When I called Avis I was given the following explanation:
  • It was billed in Deurshce Marks because just after the break up of the Soviet Union the Czech Crown was so unstable.
  • The reason that the rental was so expensive was because it was an Opel (a Western vehicle) and they get stolen a lot in the Czech Republic so the insurance was more than the rental it self.

* I wonder how many mini vans Opel would sell here in the U.S. with a five speed manual transmission and NO cup holders?
The following users liked this post:
hecash (12-04-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:08 PM

Received 3,818 Likes on 3,036 Posts

My Mom’s car got stolen out of our driveway awhile back. It was an 84 cutlass sedan nothing fancy. I had a 300z that was parked right by it and our neighbor had a nice Firebird parked next to it but they choose the cutlass, none of the cars had alarms. After about 3 weeks the police found the car abandoned. It had a broken vent window and the steering column was popped and the battery was missing but no other parts were missing. It was a mess inside apparently the theives drove around in it during the time they had it. About a month after we got it back my Dad got a court summons in the mail for not paying a parking ticket apparently while the thieves had it they left it outside in the street overnight and the police ticketed it.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:43 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
My Mom’s car got stolen out of our driveway awhile back. It was an 84 cutlass sedan nothing fancy. I had a 300z that was parked right by it and our neighbor had a nice Firebird parked next to it but they choose the cutlass, none of the cars had alarms. After about 3 weeks the police found the car abandoned. It had a broken vent window and the steering column was popped and the battery was missing but no other parts were missing. It was a mess inside apparently the theives drove around in it during the time they had it. About a month after we got it back my Dad got a court summons in the mail for not paying a parking ticket apparently while the thieves had it they left it outside in the street overnight and the police ticketed it.
my mom's minivan got stolen once, it had a full tank of fuel in it. They found it parked in a residential town-house property one week later and it still had a full tank of fuel, no damage either. They just used it to get home it seemed.