S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My Poor Doggy!

Old 03-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know all too well how much it hurts. You gave her all the help possible, and more importantly, you stayed with her so she wasn't alone and scared. Thanks for doing that!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SPEEDR. What you wrote was extremely touching and nice. Next week will be 2 years that I've had my beloved Greta. She's been the best friend a person could ever want. There are times I think of that terrible day down the road and get very sad as I look at her. I know how you feel, but am happy for her,as she had a good life with you and the "kids". She was very much loved and that's all that matters in the end.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM

My sincere condolences to you. Thank you also for not making your dog suffer.

My dog was stricken with cancer in June of last year and it hit him very quickly. I had to put him down 4 days after the diagnosis. I am only just now starting to smile rather than cry when I think of him.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand completely. My wife and I got our first dog about a year ago, and we are now totally hooked. I can't imagine losing her -- she's the most loyal friend I've ever had Thankfully, you have other dogs to help with the grief.

Here's my girl at about 3 or 4 months:

Old 03-02-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you have a Bichon Frise too??? sorry to hear what happened!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 1,440 Likes on 781 Posts

HI SPEEDR,

As a fellow dog owner/lover, I can definitely empathize with your feelings. We had to have our Westie (Frostie) euthanized about 3 years ago. I think I grieved and cried more over her death than I did when my father died. Strange how you can become so attached to a pet. It took us about 2 years to decide to adopt another dog, and through a rescue organization, found another Westie that has totally taken our hearts. We're just enjoying the happiness she brings to us.

Hopefully, time will heal your feelings, though I know you can never forget your best friend.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
....I buried her in our back yard and planted white flowers over her grave......
I like dogs but have never owned one. Your story still brought a tear to my eye

Our pet rabbit was euthanized last year.....my son's pet for +10 years. Ben was finishing up the semester at college, so we waited until he came home to tell him. We buried Oreo (black & white=Oreo) outside our breakfast room window and marked the spot with flowers and a ribbon.

Our remaining pet is Gus, an african frog who lives in a fishbowl on our kitchen counter and is about 15 years old....probably a Guinness World Record. He came in the mail as a seed....grew into a tadpole...now stretches out to about 6 inches long Some day he'll be gone and all of his friends will grieve
Old 03-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 3,074 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Ken, so sorry you had to say good-bye to your dog. I totally understand the pain. My board name, Kyras, was the name of my German Shepherd who died on Dec. 7, 1999. My mom died unexpectantly 11 months later, but Kyras's death was harder for me. I still miss him and even now am getting teary eyed thinking about him. He died at the vet's office, from a fatal reaction to Rymadil. We took our other sheppy, Whiskey, to the vet's to see him dead, so she would know what happened to him. Watching her miss him was very hard too. We got another sheppy (Vector) 2 months after Kyras died, for Whiskey, but she, and our family of four, know that Vector is no Kyras.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In a little more than a year my family has said goodbye to both of our dogs. My heart truly goes out to you and your story brought a flood of tears as I remember both of these special dogs.

To some people dogs are merely pets...to me they were my little brother and sister and their passing was harder on me than any person I have lost so far.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi Speedr:
Many of us here know your loss - it can be devestating; even though we know our beloved 4 footed friends will not be around forever...the love that burns twice as bright lasts half as long (apologies to Bladerunner). There is no shame as many have expressed about mourning the loss of a canine companion more than humans - their faithfillness and constancy is irreplacable - no two dogs are the same. I lost my Lightfoot this time of the year in 1990 to liver cancer, and I still have her photo w/ me always (along w/ the wife, and the S) and feel the sadness all over again. Sounds like you have begun the closure for yourself and your other dog; I'm touched by your candor and sensitivity. I never wept as much (1/3rd a box of kleenex @ the vet) and it took nearly ten years before I could love another dog again.
Peace
Dex9

Quick Reply: My Poor Doggy!