S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nation's Security Level

Old 08-14-2006, 03:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nation's Security Level

Sorry to tie up the Vintage thread, but Marilyn and I met an vintage couple at one of the wineries looking at coming to Washington DC this week. Below are the facts about flying from our company IT Security guru. However, the local area (Washington DC) reamins unchanged.

Most of you have heard about the terrorist plot to destroy planes in flight from the UK to the US. You might be wondering as to what new implementations to National Security, DHS and TSA have installed. Please find below a list of these new implementations and distribute to your personnel.

Here is a detailed explanation of what the elevated threat level means AND what TSA will be looking for specifically:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

August 10, 2006
(202) 282-8010

Raised Threat Levels:

The U.S. threat level is raised to Severe, or Red, for all commercial flights flying from the United Kingdom to the United States.

The U.S. threat level is raised to High, or Orange, for all commercial aviation operating in the United States, including international flights. Flights from the United States to the United Kingdom are also Orange.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is implementing a series of security measures, some visible and some not visible, to ensure the security of the traveling public and the nation's transportation system.

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. SUCH ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.

This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency

Exceptions: Baby formula and medicines, which must be presented for inspection at the checkpoint.

Beverages purchased in the boarding area, beyond the checkpoint, must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.

Passengers traveling from the United Kingdom to the United States will be subject to a more extensive screening process.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated as circumstances warrant.

How every passenger can assist in security:

Pack lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening
Arrive earlier than usual at the airport
Cooperate with TSA personnel at checkpoints and with airline personnel at all gates
Be attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity and report it to authorities
Increased Border Protection Procedures:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement efforts in international arrival areas including the use of advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment, specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection technology.

DHS has also mandated that all flights from the United Kingdom transmit passenger manifest information for intensive screening prior to departure from the gate. In addition, passengers on these flights and all other international flights will be subject to heightened inspection upon arrival in the United States.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Thanks, Ken.

Glad I don't have any plane trips planned in the near future.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We flew from Denver to Fort Lauderdale yesterday and, apart from longer lines at baggage check-in (a no-brainer), it was pretty much business at usual at DIA. The business of people carrying on two big bags PLUS a cup of coffee PLUS their sippy cup was eliminated, though, and I consider that a good thing.

In the paper this morning are updates of the OP rules, so if you're flying in the near future you need to check out www.tsa.gov just before you leave for the airport. HPH
Old 08-14-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the info Ken. This could become a very useful thread to t he many folks here who travel.

Let's please keep this thread limited to information. Any political reaction should go in the politics subforum.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue,Aug 14 2006, 07:53 AM
NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. SUCH ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.
I hate the fact that relatively speaking a handful of A**Holes can make life so miserable for so many.

I have a quick up and back day trip to Ottawa this week. It FRIES me that I will not be able to bring back some Duty Free alcohol. Especially when one considers the reason for the trip.