S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New Shingles Vaccine

Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

This went out to all Army retirees today:
Shingles Vaccination Update
By Ronald Wolf, Writer-Editor, Office of the Surgeon General/Medical Command

In the last issue, we included a reminder for Soldiers for Life to ask about vaccines for shingles. The vaccine is recommended for everyone over 60 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), but approved by the Food and Drug Administration for those over 50.

A newer vaccine, Shingrix, is now available and is considered to be more effective and longer lasting. The CDC recommends Shingrix for shingles and related complications. Usually, two doses of Shingrix are needed with injections 2 to 6 months apart for adults aged 50 years or older.

You should consider being vaccinated with Shingrix even if you have already been vaccinated with the current vaccine Zostavax. Studies have shown that the effectiveness of Zostavax wanes over time. If you have previously had a Zostavax vaccine injection, discuss with your physician whether you should and how soon you can receive a Shingrix vaccination. You should wait at least 8 weeks after a patient received Zostavax to administer Shingrix.

One thing: check at your health care facility about availability of Shingrix. Demand is high, and some temporary shortages have been reported. To recap, shingles is a painful rash that usually develops on one side of the body, often the face or torso. It is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus becomes dormant in the body and can stay dormant for decades.

During a shingles outbreak, a rash consisting of blisters forms; it usually fades away in 2 to 4 weeks. The problem with shingles is the nerve pain that may last for months after the rash goes away.

The pain can be deep and intense, and most over-the-counter pain killers have little effect. Over time the nerve pain will diminish, but that process can be slow and especially frustrating.

Most people who develop shingles have only one outbreak during their lifetime, but you can have shingles more than once.

Vaccinations are an important tool in maintaining health and readiness for all ages. The vaccine for shingles is an important vaccine. Even if you’ve already been vaccinated, ask your physician what he or she recommends.
-- Chuck
Old 10-18-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Do you know how much the shots would cost if you get them in 2018 under your current retiree (?) health insurance?

I guess time is running out, though, to be able to get both shots in 2018 as the second shot is supposed to be 2 to 6 months after the first shot.

goBlue and I are still under employee health insurance, and fortunately both of the Shingrix shots for both of us were covered in full. We had no co-pay at all.
We currently are not on Medicare D but will be in 2019 as our my ex-employer will no longer offer the one-size-fits-all-retiree plan. Currently we have Aetna as the secondary, which we pay towards, and they never pay anything - a rip off as far as we are concerned. We expect to have better coverage for equal or less money next year.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I just had a Hepatitis A shot today and my lousy drug coverage paid $24.66 and I paid $89.33. Their payment wasn't even one months premium, and that is the first time this year they have paid anything out!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Part D coverage can be real problematic. I feel for anyone with serious illness.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:47 PM

While at the doctor's office last week I asked about the shots. They did not have available but said they are $400 each, with the second one due in 4 to 6 months after the first. To save money they recommended getting the shots at a pharmacy because of the added administrative costs at the doctor's office.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
While at the doctor's office last week I asked about the shots. They did not have available but said they are $400 each, with the second one due in 4 to 6 months after the first. To save money they recommended getting the shots at a pharmacy because of the added administrative costs at the doctor's office.
From what I have heard and read, if you are on Medicare, the Shingrix shot was originally covered under Part D. My doctor did tell me, though, that now doctor's offices are allowed to put in a claim for the Shingrix shot, too, and be paid directly.

A number of months ago, a friend of mine had the Shingrix shot at her doctor's office. I think she said that she had to pay the full cost of the shot herself, and then she was reimbursed by her Medicare Part D plan. Perhaps, that is not the case anymore. It probably pays to check with one's insurance company.

Since we are on an employer's health insurance plan, not Medicare Part D, we were allowed to get the shot at either a pharmacy or the doctor's office.

We both had our shots at our doctor's offices.

My doctor's office charged $260.00 for each shot under preventative care, plus $36.00 for the administration of the shot.
She was reimbursed by our insurance company $198.41 for each shot and $30.41 for the administration of the shot.
The rest was her write-off because of the contract she has with the health insurance company.

Neither one of us had to pay anything for either of our shots.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM

Yep, your pharmacy can run the cost for you, as it's part of the coverage of Part D.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Yep, your pharmacy can run the cost for you, as it's part of the coverage of Part D.
I mentioned this earlier, we do not have Part D coverage but we will in 2019. So we will wait. The surprise to me was it was $400 each. Damn, that's $1,600 for both of us. We can wait.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

I mentioned this earlier, we do not have Part D coverage but we will in 2019. So we will wait. The surprise to me was it was $400 each. Damn, that's $1,600 for both of us. We can wait.
So, do you not have any drug coverage at all right now?
Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 AM

Hmmm were your drugs included as part of a Medicare Advantage plan or some other coverage? Hope so, other wise there may be a penalty for not enrolling in Part D previously. Rules, so many rules!

Quick Reply: New Shingles Vaccine