S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos XI

Old 02-12-2021, 04:26 AM

Received 799 Likes on 442 Posts

Decisions about filters are tricky --- I have a clear UV filter on all my lenses. The thought behind it was always that I'd rather break a $50 filter than a $100s /$1000s of dollars lens because of something stupid.

I have some Neutral Density filters (basically darkening) that I use when shooting waterfalls to let me get longer exposures.
I have some CP filters that I bought before my step rings. Great for shooting outside during the day, in the sun or near water.
And a good set of rings.

I think I have one other filter that I rarely use. Maybe I have a total of 7 or 8 (excluding the UV ones) I've bought in 15 years. I really focused on getting the ones that help with the things I do most. You might even be able to find digital filters and helpers for your processing app that might be able to address the same issues.

Bottom line if you enjoy it, doesn't matter what we say.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 05:57 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I do have the UV filters on all lenses. One had a scratch one one once, (it might have been the polarizing one), was very happy it was the filter and not the lens.

I'm still contemplating a wide angle lens. My cousin wants a picture of a local fort. I took some a while back with her in mind but I think I'd be happier with the pics if I had used a wide angle.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:16 AM

hmmm.. different thoughts there.

A wide might do the trick. Another option is to take a series of verticals "slides" that overlap, then stitch them together. This might give you a better aspect ratio. Otherwise, the width needed by the wide angle to get the shot could leave you with tons of dead space above/below.

I don't use my wide angle very often. It's great for those close up shots where there's something just a few feet from you (the waterfall shot I posted from in the stream). Another great use of a wide angle is to highlight the fore and background features in one pic.

This is a friend of mine. I think his work is fantastic. Some examples... his main page (https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsphotos/)

The following users liked this post:
Lainey (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 06:33 AM

Gorgeous pics...yes, not sure how much use I'd get from a wide angle. It's used from someone I trust, and it's a bargain. But it's only a bargain if I use it. Stitching pics together is above my skill level, and yes, aspect ratio is problematic when printing. I'm going to take a look at local Michaels today. Maybe they will have something that can work for her. I did this pic in 12 x 18 and Michael's had the perfect frame. I liked that the border of the mat was narrower than some. She wants something bigger overall, not sure that would be stock. I'm hoping to find something that works for her. I suggested canvas so we don't have to deal with frames, and losing edges of the pic with a mat, but she wasn't crazy about canvas.
Attached Thumbnails Odds and Ends Vintage Photos XI-photo56.jpg  
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 AM

its bargain regardless. Its a REAL bargain if you use it. Remember, it doesn't go bad, so you'd spend it once and always have it. For the right purposes, its probably a must - its finding the right purpose. btw - this is coming from someone who had a chance to get a new 150-600 Tamron or 200-500 Nikon super telephoto and turned it down because it would be so specific and sit on the shelf 360+ days a year.

What do you use for processing? I use PhotoShop and there's a stitcher built in. I just pick the files and it does it's magic. I think from the file info that I'm seeing, these are stitched.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7fst18vPntH8TVJ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Ci9nKrCPWxNt82y5
Old 02-12-2021, 07:25 AM

I'm still taking baby steps in processing. Paint shop pro for now. I downloaded a free trial of light room some time ago, felt overwhelmed. While I can pick up a hint/tip from You tube, I'd do better attending a class.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:38 AM

Doesn't look like PSP has an automated tool. You line them up and manually do it. PS does it for you. It appears LR does as well.

LR and PS are very overwhelming. I still use about 10-15 functions, maybe out of 100s if not 1000s plus a massive amount of 3rd party addins and actions.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:30 AM

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,544 Posts

I like Photoshop Elements. Plenty of feature (many that I don't use) but not overly bloated.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM

^
Hmm maybe that's what I tried? Can't remember.
Ran to Michael's to get a look at frames. I think my cousin's best chance of getting what she wants as far as a photo is to either go canvas, or skip the mat, and use a frame made for the digital size photos. Meanwhile, I put my cameras in the car hoping to find the horses at a local farm out in the field. I did. Got a few shots I was happy with. I like the looks on the horses' faces as they approach. They came right up to the stone wall. Glad I had two cameras as they got too close for the zoom.
Click for better view.

Would have liked more room on the side of the horse on the right, but.............

18-200 lens on this one.

Not sure about total white in background.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:39 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I like the white, but think he/she got a bad haircut.

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos XI