S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

OJ's new book

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default OJ's new book

You can't make this stuff up. OJ has a publisher for a book about how he would have killed his wife IF he did it. I haven't read it, and won't. The very idea of it is repulsive. My question to you: If a member of his wife's or Ron Goldman's family killed OJ, and you were on the jury, could you convict? I don't think I could.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 15 2006, 08:14 PM
You can't make this stuff up. OJ has a publisher for a book about how he would have killed his wife IF he did it. I haven't read it, and won't. The very idea of it is repulsive. My question to you: If a member of his wife's or Ron Goldman's family killed OJ, and you were on the jury, could you convict? I don't think I could.
I could convict, if I was sure the person was guilty.

The law must be extra-vigilant about prosecuting extremely attractive (to the individual) behaviors that are socially damaging. Winking, nodding, and saying "I would have done the same" is how you get a culture of revenge killings.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 15 2006, 11:41 PM
I could convict, if I was sure the person was guilty.

The law must be extra-vigilant about prosecuting extremely attractive (to the individual) behaviors that are socially damaging. Winking, nodding, and saying "I would have done the same" is how you get a culture of revenge killings.
I don't know Mike. Say the defense was "Yes, I did it. The law couldn't convict him, the courts couldn't collect the judgment from him, and now he is making money publishing a book about how he killed my sister/daughter/son. I just snapped!" He or she would need to be in a jurisdiction friendly to a temporary insanity defense. Many jurisdictions would not recognize the insanity defense unless the person claims he or she didn't even know what they were doing.

So say some aggravated temporary insanity defense was available. Would you still convict if you could aquit the family member within the rule of law?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Nov 15 2006, 11:53 PM] I don't know Mike.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I don't know. I think its very easy to say what you would or wouldn't do while sitting in front of a computer. I don't think any of us could say with any degree of surity what we would actually do if the situation was real.

You can't make this stuff up.
That, however, is something that I agree with absolutely.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonybell_57,Nov 15 2006, 09:16 PM
perhaps his ego will get him new charges, a new trial and a conviction
Can't be done. Once you've been tried for a crime and acquitted, you can't be tried for it again.

That's to prevent the government from just going after someone over and over until they finally get lucky with a jury.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:49 AM

Received 764 Likes on 462 Posts

This same thing was done before in interviews that Ted Bundy conducted with some news reporter. No one should buy his stupid book.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 15 2006, 11:14 PM
My question to you: If a member of his wife's or Ron Goldman's family killed OJ, and you were on the jury, could you convict? I don't think I could.
I doubt that I could either, even if it required jury nullification outside the parameters of the law. While his guilt as a murderer couldn't be legally established, it is an established fact that he is a wife-beating scumbag. It's strange to me that some choose to skim over that little fact.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:51 AM

I won't be reading this ego-maniac's book either. I guess golf is getting boring, or he's been watching too much CSI Miami down there. People like him just cannot deal with anonymity. Just how stupid can it be to write such a book?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 AM

The book is bad enough but for Fox to actually air the interview is terrible. I can't believe that a network would stoop so low.

Quick Reply: OJ's new book