S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

It was only a matter of time....

Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 1,440 Likes on 781 Posts
Default It was only a matter of time....

Til I got my first speeding ticket in the S2K

Only about a 1/2 mile from my development this morning, on the back road I love to take to work ...just crested a slight hill and there he was, looking right at me: 60 MPH in a 40 MPH zone he sez. (No argument from me...when I looked down at the speedometer, it was at least 60!)

He (Delaware State Trooper) said there had been complaints of people speeding in that area (probably mostly me!) , and since there was a lot of construction going on, they were enforcing the speed limit.

Luckily for me, he reduced it to 45 in a 40 zone, which means no points and only a $39.60 fine. Phew!! Bet if I had been a 20-something, he would not have been so generous with the ticket. For once, I think it pays to be "Vintage!"

Anyway, guess what I just did? Yep, one Valentine V1 detector on the way!

Anybody else care to 'fess up about their "need for speed" which resulted in the red/blue lights in the mirror?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish there was a way to get the V1 at a discount. That guy doesn't seem to deal on pricing.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Sorry bout that, Gene. I've managed to avoid a ticket in the S - so far!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 1,440 Likes on 781 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
I wish there was a way to get the V1 at a discount.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the ticket, Gene but it could have been worse. Getting one is my worst nightmare. Let's hope I'm as lucky because you're right, it's just a matter of time in that car.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:05 AM

I know I'm tempting fate by posting here, but it's been decades since I got a speeding ticket. I just set my cruise at what I feel is safe and try not to overrun it. And yes, I drive over the limit - unless it's over seventy.

Panhandle drivers are the weirdest I've ever seen. They drive like crazy till they see a trooper or sheriff's car. Then they slow to way under the limit. It's like they just robbed a bank or something. In Illinois, they never slow that much for troopers. Oh, and they also stop here if a funeral is approaching from the opposite direction. No state law, AFAIK; just out of respect.

Gerry
Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 734 Likes on 449 Posts

In the space of 14 months I got THREE (3) speeding tickets: one in South Carolina, one in Northern Virginia and one here at home. I was driving my daughter's 2000 Mustang when I got two of them and my husband's grand cherokee for one. I got a notice from the DMV advising that since I had so many violations, my driver's license would not be renewed this year unless I retook the driver's test. So . . . very nervously I studied like a bandit and passed. However, I try to very, very careful in the S (although she tends to want to creep upward in speed). The first five times I took the S out I was pulled over three times because I did not have a City decal (which I had purchased but not received yet and which I had thirty days to buy) and upon explanation, of course the officers always made some wiseacre comment about nice car. . . etc. and I was on my way. Twice I have walked out of stores to find police officers standing by my car because they wanted to know all I could tell them about the car and chit-chit, etc. So -- I try to cruise in "stealth mode", stay in traffic and not stay out in the passing lane all alone, making myself a target. When I travel outside of Virginia in states where they are legal, I use a radar detector. I truly was sweating bullets about having to retake that exam (since it has been more years than many of you have been on the earth since I took it the first time).
Old 03-11-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Just posting cause I wanto to see my name on every as the last post on every active thread. I'm Whoring big time tonight!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Sorry about that! My one and only ticket in my S was (I swear this is true) the VERY FIRST time I vtec'd. 623 miles on the odo, clear road and off I went. CHP got me for 84 in a 50, didn't even smile when I told him my story. Had to go to traffic school, an experience I will never, ever repeat even if my insurance rates rise to that of a 17 year old's with a new C4S.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Received 3,074 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Did your heart pound when you saw it coming? Do they use the cherry red light there too to let you know your fun is over?

I've had radar detectors in all my cars since my last ticket. That was about 7 years ago. When I got it I was flying down the straight hi-way in my 1991 Honda Accord station wagon. I passed by the California Highway Patrol who was going in the opposite direction. He did a U-turn so I just pulled over before he even turned his red light on. But my son was in the front seat with me, sucking his thumb and griping his blankie. The cop leaned over to look in the window, saw my son and got a big grin on his face. I still got the ticket but at least the cop d.

Quick Reply: It was only a matter of time....