S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Passion of Mel Gibson?

Old 02-28-2004, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and its pretty graphic. That doesn't sound like a formula for a blockbuster. [/QUOTE]

Really? Blood and gore? Murder? Doesn't sound like a winner to you? The only thing I'm interested in is did he manage to blow stuff up in the film. Pyrotechnics would really put it over the top. And, by the way, Mel as the martyr losing his shirt (which he manages to remove in every film anyway) to make this movie is just more hype. Take a look at "The Producers" for movie making 101. (The old version with Zero and Gene btw)
Old 02-28-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmc1971
Old 02-29-2004, 05:26 AM

Well, went to the movie yesterday here is my view point.

IMO the movie represented Love, Sacrifice, and Forgiveness, as far as it's accuracy I found only 2 moments in the film that may be considered not true to the Gospel. The first was Pilote although being versed in the Gospel I understand Gibson's approach of his portrayal of Pilote,

Pilote comes across more or less fearfull, and concerned for himself than the brutal person he was. But saying that the movie was not really about him so how much time can Gibson actually give to the life of Pilote after all the movie is about the Passion not Pilote.

The other scene is Simons role in helping Jesus carry the cross, he was not such a force in the scripture as much as Gibson portrayed him.

That is my view of the film and it's meaning as it related to me. The movie was beautifully done and moved me like no other movie has before. I consider it a masterpiece which will go down as one of the greatest films of all time, again I may be bias but this is all just my opinion.

A very important note I must convey to all who have not seen it. This movie is very very graphic. I consider myself not so much weak at heart when it comes to viewing movies. That being said the graphic portrayal of his sacrifice is something that is not meant for everybody, and also something I wish not to view again, Gibsons visual portrayal of Jesus sacrifice will stick with me forever, It also is my feeling this violent, graphic, visual has to be remembered like this so we (Christians) never forget.

I highly recomend the movie, but trust me it's not something you wish to view again.

On a side note the theatre was sold out, the silence in the theatre during the movie really stuck with me, the film grabbed you from the begining and did not let you go till the end. After a film usually the crowd quickly gets up and leaves, not in this film, for the most part the crowd sat in silence, almost reflective, some crying, it was a very moving experience one I soon will not forget.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:32 PM

Well, I have read through every post in this thread. It's amazing to see how peoples actions don't change through history. As the people in Jesus time were afraid of what they did not understand (and placed blame so they can calm their fears) I have seen also in this thread.

I saw the movie last night with my wife and my 12 year old son. It was tough to sit there and watch. Being of Armenian decent, I felt the same uneasiness watching Scindlers List as I watched the horror of the Jews at the hands of the Germans as the Armenians had suffered from the Turks.

The movie, though graphic, was an eye opener for me. But one thing was VERY clear in this movie. Nor the Jews or the Romans killed Jesus. Humanity did.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:54 PM

All this talk about who killed Jesus reminded me of something He said about "no man taketh my life from me but I lay it down of myself." The focus seems to be on the wrong man (the film maker).
Old 03-01-2004, 03:20 AM

Received 734 Likes on 449 Posts

^^ Two great posts -- I agree with both of them. He gave up His life for all of us -- willingly and without protest.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by jmc1971

While Americans are sitting around debating a movie, anti-Semitism is still the official policy in some places.
that seems to be the norm in the middle east. my father works for a large defense contractor and is in the region 6 to 7 times per year. he carries two passports, one for Israel and one for the rest of the world.