S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Passion of Mel Gibson?

Old 02-17-2004, 12:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
....As for Dianne Sawyer, I was appaled at the expressions she made when Gibson was talking about his faith.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact of the matter is this: Those in power, the Romans and the Rabbis (sp?) wanted to stay in power. Jesus was a threat to power and they whacked him. This is a recurring theme in human politics. Also, It gauls me to no end that people can come out and condem something without even seeing it. I felt the same way when many Christians were BLASTING the Last Temptation of Christ. I felt they needed to see the movie, at least, before condeming it.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll play it safe and say this....

I have to admit, I was impressed.
I wasn't sure what to expect from Gibson, nor was I certain how Diane Sawyer would handle things. But I was glad to see there was no nastiness nor angst going on.

That being said, Gibson not only did a wonderful job in responding to questions in an open and honest manner, he also made some valid points.

When presented with the idea that THE PASSION would start a round of anti-semitic backlash, Gibson pointed out that he went to see Schindlers' List, as did many Americans, and nobody came away from the movie with an anti-German thought nor was there an ant-German backlash. He went on to point out that, if we start changing history or refusing to present historical fact, because we THINK something negative would happen, then we have to censor everything that involves one group being unfair or mean to another group.

While I, personally, do not think we should "live in the past" in terms of how we view others of the same bent in the present day, I do think we can learn from the histories of one another. We can either use them to berate and cause paranoia, or we can use them to say, as the sign over Auschwitz says: NEVER AGAIN.

The last 12 hours of Christ's death aren't about the Jews. Jesus WAS a Jew. They aren't about the Romans, either. His last 12 hours, the focus of the film, are about a man who was so beaten and bruised and tortured beyond what any of us can fathom, and then hung there bleeding and broken, only to say aloud: FATHER, FORGIVE THEM, FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to Mel Gibson for speaking honestly and with
strength of his belief in Jesus Christ.

I will see the film.

If the world followed Jesus teaching we would be living in paradise on Earth today.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 747 Likes on 454 Posts

I am hoping to see the movie -- I totally agree with Legal Bill and those of you who have commented on the fact that here in America, we have certain freedoms and Mel Gibson certainly has the right to express his beliefs through his media. I cannot understand any group of people expressing dismay over a MOVIE -- duh . . . the last time I checked, you have to buy a ticket to get in to see a movie and if you don't want to see it -- don't go!!! There are many movies that don't strike my fancy and that I may not approve of, but I just don't support the film by buying a ticket. I understand from what I've read about the movie Mr. Gibson is attempting to portray the Passion from the perspective of Biblical based history -- good for him. I'm glad someone in Hollywood who has risen to the level of stardom is not afraid to express HIS beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. Movies are a form of entertainment for those who wish to be entertained -- I'm not attending a movie in order to express my religious, political or social views.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

zero interest in the movie.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K