S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pearl Harbor Day

Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by canberra,Dec 8 2004, 06:12 PM
I understand that the last SR-71 to fly is now at the new Smithsonian Air Museum out near Dulles Airport. If you haven't ever seen one of these marvels, you won't be sorry if you get a chance to visit. Probably the most amazing aircraft ever built, by anyone.
What makes it even more amazing is that it was built by engineers with slide rules (before PC's) that took it from concept to it's first test flight in eighteen months. All while inventing materials to overcome obstacles like the tires melting due to the high heat caused by air friction at Mach 3+ speeds. BTW, the tires are made from a composite which is mostly aluminum.

Another interesting fact is that the SR-71 will not hold fuel in it's tanks while on the ground. Therefore, they put some fuel in her, take off generate some heat, which causes the tanks to expand and overlap it's plates to form a tank. Then fuel her in the air. Otherwise the extremes (heat and pressure) would cause the tanks to burst if filled on the ground.

For those that have an interest in the SR-71, the U-2 and the F-17 may I suggest a book entitled "The Skunk Works" by Ben E. Rich. He was Kelly Johnson's successor at the "Skunk Works" (the specialty engineering section of Lockheed Martin that created these legendary planes). It is an easy, fascinating read.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Dec 8 2004, 05:43 PM
"Skunk Works" (the specialty engineering section of Lockheed Martin that created these legendary planes). It is an easy, fascinating read.
An excellent book on modern military airplanes. I preferred the section on the F-117. The pilot flying it by the Marine AAA battery was nuts. The order was to shoot down any aircraft they saw on their radar. Approximately 2 minutes after the F-117 went by, an F-5 chase plane appeared on the screen. A young MP explained to the Captain that the F-117 was long gone, that was the chase plane.

Canberra, a gentleman I was stationed in England with flew Canberras in Viet Nam. He said his job was to fly low and slow to get the North Vietnamese to launch SAM's or aircraft after him for the fighters to take out. After surviving that for a year, he was rewarded my being demoted from Major to Staff Sargent.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:50 AM

See, I told you there were some buffs on here. Where's that Simon guy? Aviation is fascinating. When I lived in England, I remember the British still ranting and raving about the Spitfire being the best plane of its era (WWII) in terms of maneuverabilty. My interest was peaked and I've been hooked ever since. I'm so sorry I never got to fly the Concord just to see what Mach speed felt like or if you felt anything at all? Anybody know when planes first started breaking the sound barrier? Living near several Air Force bases, I remember jumping at the sound every time as a kid. Am I dating myself here?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=2KIS2K,Dec 8 2004, 11:20 PM]Canberra, a gentleman I was stationed in England with flew Canberras in Viet Nam.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

It's nice living here right across from DC...Lots of times, I get vintage aircraft flying over for one reason or another. Sometimes, it's funerals at Arlington Cemetery. Others, it's official events, like the opening of the WWII Memorial, where a number of aircraft participated in a flyover.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM

In 1975, while stationed at RAF Alconbury, England, the largest airshow put on by the United States government was held there. Quite a few WWII aircraft were on display, as well as flying. B-17, B-25, Lancaster bombers, Spitfires, P-51's. We also had the F-16. The RAF demonstration team, The Red Arrows, the Belguim Slivers (?), and the French demonstration teams performed. But the best show was the morning after. The Spitfire and the P-51 were dogfighting over the base for about 45 minutes. The pilots were quite good. The day of the show the attendance was estimated at 50,000. Could have been a good money maker had we charged.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:59 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

If you ever get to New York City make a point of visiting the Intrepid Air, Sea and Space Museum. Parked up on the flight deck, among all of the other aircraft, is an A-12 Blackbird. It is beautiful, as are all of the aircraft.

Along side of the Intrepid is the Growler and I think there is now a Concorde on display. A special treat is the piece of the Berlin Wall.

Well worth the visit.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:26 PM

I like the displays at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB outside of Dayton, Ohio. Everything from replicas of the Wright Brothers planes to the most current (at that time) unclassified airplanes. Blackbird looks so big until you stand near it. The B-52 hanging from the ceiling was amazing. Maybe the next trip east in the S will include the museum to see what is new.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=2KIS2K,Dec 9 2004, 07:23 PM] In 1975, while stationed at RAF Alconbury, England, the largest airshow put on by the United States government was held there.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Especially for Canberra, but for all of you aviation buffs, below is a link to airliners.net it is a must visit site for any aviation junky.

This link will take you to several pictures of the Canberra.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

Quick Reply: Pearl Harbor Day