S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Penofin Fires Big Box Stores

Old 12-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dlq04,Dec 25 2005, 06:38 PM] Two words - Corporate Spin.

Here's one of his earlier press releases:

09/16/2003
*The Author, Castle Newell, Is President Of Performance Coatings, Inc.*

UKIAH, CALIF.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 5,111 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Like I said earlier I don't know their products - if they are great and stand on their own merits, fine. But I am very suspecious of any company that likes to pound their own chest and tell everyone how wonderful they are.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 26 2005, 10:31 AM
Like I said earlier I don't know their products - if they are great and stand on their own merits, fine. But I am very suspecious of any company that likes to pound their own chest and tell everyone how wonderful they are.
Uhhhh, Dave- This sounds like the Big3 in Detroit for the last +30 years.....
.....Fiddling while Rome Burned
Old 12-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Lets see what this humble company has to say about themselves:

Our commitment to the environment extends past our raw materials.

- they love small business

- they love their workers

- they the environment

- they love natural ingredients

- they to preserve employment

- they believe in using our limited wood resources wisely

- they feel we have a responsibility to make our world a better place

- and, drum roll . . . . they love blue grass, jazz, and art

I think I'm going to be sick

But if you'll notice they don't have any problems with selling their products overseas
Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 AM

It could be a smart PR move in reaction to being dumped from the big-box retailers...
Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM

As a General Contractor in Florida I have used their products and I will continue to do so, I used to purchase my lumber materials at HD and Lowes when I first started out and don't get me wrong, I still frequent the big boys from time to time but my accounts are all with local lumber yards that I have been doing business with for over 20 years. Thomas Lumber in particular is where I spend most of my money. They are a locally owned yard that has been run by the same family for decades. I also have an "in" at the supplier for the big boys for my large orders
I do go out of my way to hit the Mom and Pop hardware stores! I hope they survive simply based on customer service.
I can find my way around any hardware store but I remember my first few trips around a HD before I became a contractor and I knew more then the employees did in the paint department.
PR move or not I like to hear about companies giving up huge sales numbers to maintain quality and keeping Americans employed.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM

If there was an Amen smilie, I'd use it. So, for the time being,

I don't think there has been any evidence that they were dumped by the big box retailers. The evidence indicates that they simply decided not to continue their contracts under the terms that the big boxes wanted. Sounds more like taking charge of one's destiny, to me.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:15 PM

I too support the local hardware because of the excellent service in locating any item quickly. I don't mind paying a little more for good service. However, I have seen first how a local small business can put the screws to a dedicated employee friend of mine . . . so they are not all apple pie.

In the end, for me, good service, good stocking of supplies, and good quality of products wins over a lower price. Places like Lowes and HD rarely get my business.

It's been my experience that places that hype themselves seldom are what they claim to be. It's no accident that places which often provide the minimalist customer service like to put out PR that tells you how great their customer service is.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 27 2005, 09:15 PM
I too support the local hardware because of the excellent service in locating any item quickly. I don't mind paying a little more for good service. However, I have seen first how a local small business can put the screws to a dedicated employee friend of mine . . . so they are not all apple pie.

In the end, for me, good service, good stocking of supplies, and good quality of products wins over a lower price. Places like Lowes and HD rarely get my business.

It's been my experience that places that hype themselves seldom are what they claim to be. It's no accident that places which often provide the minimalist customer service like to put out PR that tells you how great their customer service is.
The irony of this is that for the first 15 years of it's existence, Home Depot was service/customer oriented. It is only in the last 4 or 5 years that customer service took a back seat to the bottom line. Previously management believed that customer service helped to generate the bottom line.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Seems a little late in the day to be worrying about US manufacturing jobs. And standing around applauding a can of paint sold at the local hardware store is like trying to bail out the Titanic with a Dixie cup. You want US manufacturing jobs? Buy products made in the US by US companies. You'll all have to buy a lot of paint to make up for every Civic that Honda sells.

Quick Reply: Penofin Fires Big Box Stores