S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Peripheral Neuropathy

Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 1,105 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Peripheral Neuropathy

Has anyone or their spouse/family/relative/friend been diagnosed with this?
Old 02-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

oh yeah, good time. throw in some fybromyalgia for good measure.
specifically I have Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy, which means the idiots don't know what causes it.
When it started, the bottom of my foot felt like my sock had rolled up and I was walking on the fluffy part.
over time, the nerve endings have basically gotten confused, like a bad sensor.
They don't know if they are hot, cold, or hurting so they yes to everything.
Every once in a while I'll get what I call the voodoo doll, and it feels like someone is suddenly stabbing me with a pin.
I'm lucky that my feet still work fine from a muscle standpoint.
Drugs helped some. low doses of duloxitine and gabapentin. they slow the nerves down a little.
Starting duloxitine was tough, i just sat and drooled for two weeks. i thought my god this is what mere mortals feel like.

I don't have diabetes but they are frequently related.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

That sounds horrible.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM

hey, life is never boring.
it's great to be sitting in a meeting when the voodoo doll kicks in for about a minute and you try not to react and maintain a professional demeanor.

they test it by sticking pins in your feet and figuring out when you jump.
but for the most part you can't feel it. there is some test where they measure your electrical response in your legs.
it's pretty special too. I won't go into to specifics.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

My dad had it in his feet in the last years of his life (he died at 95). Not sure of the cause in his case. I'm sure age and high blood pressure figured in. He did not have diabetes. I don't remember him saying he was in a lot of pain, but he did have tingling/numbness limiting his ability to move around.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
That sounds horrible.
it struck me later Mr Bill, but I do believe you may not have been referring to my feet and were being obsequious regarding my mere mortal comment.
Oh I'm hurt mortally wounded if you will.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Thats terrible, I had plantar fasciitis and I thought that hurt. Nothing compared to this. Feel bad for you, hope it goes away.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

If that's the one where you loose all feeling in your feet, I have two close friends that have it. One uses a walker all the time and the other uses a cane. Still they both are very active!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Received 1,105 Likes on 987 Posts

I started having the symptoms of PN back in the middle of October 2018. I woke up in the middle of the night with extremely itchy feet, and I could not relieve that itchyness, so I used some Gold Bond powder and put some socks on. It helped but in the morning my feet were numb/tingling and I thought I had a reaction to the powder. Over the next day or so, the feelings went to my fingertips and the knee/tops of my thighs.
It hasnt gotten any better since.

When I finally got to see my doctor which was in the middle of November, that’s when he diagnosed me with PN. I was kinda shocked as no one in my family has had it or anything similar. I’ve always been relatively healthy , no ongoing illnesses etc.

I’m currently just using Aspercreme with 4%lidocaine lotion.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Severe spinal cord damage can also cause peripheral neuropathy. Mine increases in intensity from the knees down to my feet. It is chronic and virtually untreatable. The pain is mostly like the irritation from pins and needles. Drs sometimes prescribe Lyrica or Neurontin or some other drug that affects the nerves, but they don’t do anything for me. Still they might be helpful for you. My best and only remedy is just to try to ignore it as much as possible. Sometimes when in Colorado, I put a few drops of cannabis tincture under my tongue, and that softens the PN sensation enough to go to sleep. Shots of whiskey do not help, sorry!! LÖL

Quick Reply: Peripheral Neuropathy