S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pet peeves

Old 02-06-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pet peeves concerning lousy drivers? Hmmm, where to start?

Drivers that are obviously not paying attention for whatever reason(guesstamating about 50% of them at any given moment).

Drivers that are totally clueless about what the passing lane is for.

Slow drivers in the passing lane that (if your lucky) finally move to the cruising lane only to speed up (further proving they are clueless).

Idiots that suddenly realize they are about to miss their turn and are willing to risk their life (not to mention yours) to make it - no matter what lane they are in.

Drivers in a turn lane that feel its OK to keep on moving through a light after it's turned because it's not fair that they have to wait for the light twice.

Drivers that are the first in line at the light and just sit there after it turns green.

Even better - drivers first in line at the light that sit there for the first 50 seconds while its red and then all of a sudden start digging in the glovebox/
pockebook/under the seat/etc. looking for something - totally ignoring reality until a blaring horn jerks them back to coherent behavior. This is the main reason I don't carry a gun in my car.

Drivers that are pretty sure that YOU are the one thats suppose to yield when they are trying to merge into your lane.

Drivers that pull out in front of you and then proceed slowly. This is especially frustrating when its obvious that there is absolutely nobody behind you.

Drivers that feel compelled to share their musical tastes with all who are within a fifty yard radius. This is no more than a pathetic attempt to project their existence while (interestingly enough) doing their level best to ignore yours.

Drivers that don't attempt to be smooth and calculating with their driving (not to mention courteous or considerate). There are so many out there that have no class.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I hate it when people stop in the middle of the lane in a shopping center parking lot to wait for a spot. If they'd had enough courtesy to pull over, traffic could get by. Instead they stop in the middle and prevent traffic from passing.

I hate it when people wait for a spot in the parking lot, and block traffic, when there is an available spot a few cars away. Instead of waiting and blocking traffic, they should just take the other spot.

I hate it when people who are not handicapped park or wait in their cars in a handicapped spot. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with all the above and add that I hate when people are picking their nose
Old 02-06-2005, 09:52 PM

I hate one thing: when vehicles block the left lane at a slow speed when they could move right.

Lots of other things annoy me, but I've gotten used to them.

I'm afraid I'm one of the ones who washes my windshields at expressway speeds. Which brings up an annoyance: I'm annoyed at the SUVs that have no mudflaps on their rear wheels, so when the snow thaws they throw up a cloud of salt spray that evaporates instantly on the windshield of any vehicle following within 200 yards. (Cars aren't as bad because their own rear fenders block most of the spray.) These SUVs are the primary reason I have to use my windshield washers.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM

[Non-Vintage poster]

I agree with all of the above, but I hate these three things more than anything else:
  • Drivers who don't use turn signals.
  • Drivers who feel it's appropriate to drive the exact same speed as the car parallel to them in the next lane, effectively blocking both lanes.
  • CIGARETTE BUTT FLINGERS... Why why why is it okay to throw a still-lit cigarette out your window and at my car? Who decided this was acceptable? You don't mind smoke in your car but you'd rather not put the butts in the ashtray until you can properly dispose of them? Did we learn nothing in elementary school?

[/Non-Vintage poster]
Old 02-06-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Driving 40 mph in the fast lane an hour on the freeway, then getting of and doing 70 on the residential roads.

2. Inability to stay in one's own lane.

3. Oh no ... it's a very mild curve! Better slow down 20mph!

4. Cell phones. My wife can not understand why I will not pick up when she calls and I'm driving. (I do when I have my hands free on, but that is very rare.)

5. Not paying attention. You are driving a several thousand pound killing machine, the least you can do is give your complete attention to what you are doing. (and no, putting on make-up, reading the paper, whatever else is NOT what you are doing ... or at least not what you're supposed to be doing!)
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by lane' date='Feb 7 2005, 01:37 AM
2. Inability to stay in one's own lane.
It's called apexing .... quit following me!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:23 AM

What all you other folks said to which I'll add:

1. Flicking ashes out the window. You have an ashtray, use it. As bad as this is in the S topdown, consider being on a motorcycle with the helmet visor open.
2. Illegal left turns. I have a couple spots in my day to day driving where a left turn is clearly prohibitted. Idiots stop at the stop sign/no left turn sign, block traffic for extended periods and act indignant if you beep them.
3. Drivers who take a wingman position just off your left bumper. In an emergency, you have no place to go.
4. Drivers who tailgate as you're passing a line of traffic on the highway then proceed to take the wingman postion as soon as you get past the slower traffic.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Slow drivers in the left lane.

2) Drivers in the left lane who feel the need to leave enough car lengths in front of them to allow more slow drivers to cut in.

3) People who think brake pedals are their friend when they hit ice/standing water.

4) People who do the schwing thing going around corners, as if they were towing a 40-ft trailer and had to clear the curb.

5) People who go around corners and need a 5-second recovery time before hitting the gas again.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 6 2005, 11:40 PM
I hate it when people stop in the middle of the lane in a shopping center parking lot to wait for a spot. If they'd had enough courtesy to pull over, traffic could get by. Instead they stop in the middle and prevent traffic from passing.
In that case, you might want to rethink any plans to visit Florida. People here (particularly the elderly) will sit in the middle of the lot blocking all other traffic all damned day just to save themselves from walking an extra three feet.

Quick Reply: Pet peeves